Rip Curl, Surfline, Tom Curren, Free Scrubber,
Rip Curl, Surfline, Tom Curren, Free Scrubber,
glad he has some actual surfboards that work well for turns

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I can respect your opinions and critiques but I'm curious, what are the negatives a lot of you are getting from this?
The level of surfing? The filler in the edit? The off the cuff corniness? The music? The camera work? All of the above?

All that stuff could strike in a detrimental way, but we see so many flicks here that I cringe or tire from for various reasons relating to my own tastes. For instance, I never want to see another budding am/entry level pro riding a fish at Trestles ever again. How about a 27 year old zenmaster riding a quarter mile long windswept, desolate reeler on a modernized midlength relic of an otherwise obsolete design of woebegone eras.
The negative I'm getting is the drone footage makes me want to hurl. Like, motion-sickness hurl. I got halfway into it. Then I stopped it because I didn't want to puke. Specifically the straight down angle my god mount the fins and the gopro backwards and show me Beth footage.

The content itself, it wasn't Pipeline or air reverses so that is refreshing.

Reactions: TeamScam and JBerry

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i don't care for surf videos in general. I just want to surf, and watching other people surf doesn't do it for me most of the time

Reactions: Boneroni

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I can respect your opinions and critiques but I'm curious, what are the negatives a lot of you are getting from this?
The level of surfing? The filler in the edit? The off the cuff corniness? The music? The camera work? All of the above?

All that stuff could strike in a detrimental way, but we see so many flicks here that I cringe or tire from for various reasons relating to my own tastes. For instance, I never want to see another budding am/entry level pro riding a fish at Trestles ever again. How about a 27 year old zenmaster riding a quarter mile long windswept, desolate reeler on a modernized midlength relic of an otherwise obsolete design of woebegone eras.
These: The filler in the edit? The off the cuff corniness? The music? The camera work. I'll add, needed more surfing.

Reactions: PRCD

caelho

Miki Dora status
Jun 10, 2003
The broken alaia in the opening scene was classic! Do you think that was a real fall?
I sure hope it was real, that was the best part, especially the slap to the face sound effect. :applause2: The only problem I had with it, like some others here, was the drone footage, too much of it. Some is fine but not the majority, and pan out farther, the tight shots in my opinion leave out parts of the wave I'd like to see......seems like that's the norm, and maybe there's a reason for it, I'm no professional. Other than that it was great, much better than all those vlogs, except Mason Ho.

Edit: Just rewatched it, it wasnt the tight shots it was the drone footage that was the problem for me. It can't be easy maneuvering and filming someone

Last edited:
Reactions: rice

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I said this in the "Free Scrubber" thread, but I loved it. And I dug the drone shots. I don't want or need to see Johnny CT Cool Guy or Hipster Bro from a bird's eye view, but it was cool to see Curren's surfing from a new angle.

Reactions: jkb

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I thought it was good, it's nice to see him surf some actual surf boards. I thought it was also funny to see him customize his boards on the spot, he's like the Bill Murray of surfing, to funny.

Reactions: bluengreen and jkb

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Observation- he was the most talented surfer from his/my generation (I think I'm 4-5 years older). No airs. I really haven't seen any of my early heroes pulling airs. I wonder why that is? Any 55+ surfers pulling off airs? I'm happy if I get 6" of my tail out the back.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 - I'll watch on the big screen later based on my 1 minute small screen experience.

2 - I like to pretend I'd be a much better surfer after a week of waves like that.

3 - He is starting to look like my retired friend Doug from SB who always rides Matt Moore boards.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Stumbled across it last night looking for something else on YT.
I really enjoyed it, seeing a quirky side of Tom was fun. Surfing is still stellar.
Is that shot of him with all the boards at his dad's place up the line from Todos?
BTW, what's wrong with riding Matt Moore boards?