New tails

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
wing on the top Good...wing on the bottom BAD...run through the shallows just one time with the bottom wing...snap the sucker right off...

waiting for a review on the winglets...thanks

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Did steamroller really just post something aboutgofoil that wasn’t over the top praise?! Let’s mark this down guys.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Nice one man. I just got a new one myself.
Signature stab, rigged to fit Axis. My GF rigged to take Axis stabs. One hole, one helicoil. 45 seconds of work and a world of new stabs...also easier to make than the spigot/sleeve setup.

.B2969018-82AA-4347-BB9C-72046D9C0D37.jpeg4718D306-DFD0-41B8-9474-D9289ADFF8F1.jpeg

Reactions: ghostshaper

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Ride report, tried the large/long tail wing. First was SUP foiling in head high, punchy take offs to soft rollers. I didn't do any adjustments just ran it at 0 without any washer/pitch adjustment. Very stable on the late/steep drops. Didn't feel like it wanted to breach, stayed level very well. Seemed faster than my old V tail. Due to the width it didn't turn as sharp.

IMG_20191226_164203.jpg

Second session took it wing foiling. Initially ran it at 0 again, wind was pretty light and tough to get going. Went in and changed the pitch by 1 washer giving more lift. WOW, what a difference a washer makes. Had to adjust back foot about 8-10" forward to compensate for the added lift. It made my stance more relaxed as feet were closer together. I was running my GL180 on the front and wind was a light 14-16mph using my 4.2M F One .

On another note, another winger I know was out using his 5M F One and I was out running him. He was tracking right next too me and I was able to pull away. He's using the F One foil but didn't look like a high aspect. It could have been just the line/swell I was on, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, just picked up my plate mount yesterday for my new 4'8 Kalama prone so I can use it now. I'll have a ride report for that as well within the next couple days. Really interested in how the GL140 performs on the proner.

plate.jpgIMG_20191224_103115.jpg

Attachments

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
you went Kalama!...what about KT?...i been watching you for direction in these things...might have to go kalama now too...what about pumping back out ability on the tail with no washer...still work or no?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
you went Kalama!...what about KT?...i been watching you for direction in these things...might have to go kalama now too...what about pumping back out ability on the tail with no washer...still work or no?
My KT had some build issues around the box. I think the high density foam eventually gave way. I'll keep you posted on the Kalama production carbon E2.

Haven't tried the new tail no washer in surf yet. I'll let you know. I've been using the big pedistal tail winging and really like the stability with the GL180 front. Using my old tail with the GL it was pretty squirrly. I may prone surf the harbor with the GL140 and small pedistal tail today and give some feedback.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I haven't ridden either sorry, hopefully I'll try them in the next couple of weeks.

Just to extrapolate from the standard GF stabs and the HA's I've been using though...the HAstabs are considerably faster in a straight line and have a bit more pump. I like the turns on the HA'S too, but they take a little getting used to

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I haven't ridden either sorry, hopefully I'll try them in the next couple of weeks.

Just to extrapolate from the standard GF stabs and the HA's I've been using though...the HAstabs are considerably faster in a straight line and have a bit more pump. I like the turns on the HA'S too, but they take a little getting used to
Oh cool, can't wait to get the HA once available - thanks

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Alex made me these just picked them up yesterday.

I'll give feedback once I've spent some time.

http://instagr.am/p/B6fOHdxFk0f/

Ok can give an update.

Ive been riding the larger one with the hand kite and also SUP and it was a great glider and pumped pretty good. A slower tempo, longer drawn out pumps. Turns good and tracked well without any yaw.

Put the small shorter tail on yesterday in some good clean head hi surf, wholly cow that's my new go to wing. It shortens the fuselage which makes for a quicker pump, tighter turns. The HA tail wings really complement the GL front wings. I was on my GL180 front wing, with the wider tail wing it rolled slower than with the smaller shorter wing. The small wing really livens up the wide front wings, wonder if it'll make my M200 turn better,...

I think the final test needs to be on my proner. I think the GL140 with the small tail will be the ultimate performer.

I'll check back once that's happened.

Reactions: Clamsmasher