New stubby/alt DD options

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I wonder if this is more of a twin characteristic? I've never had a twin that was quicker out of the gate than a thruster. Could just be the twins I've tried though.
I find thrusters give me more time to gather myself on takeoff. Like they hang around the lip longer and gives me extra time to think if I want to drop in, go left/right, etc...than overall they feel slower but more stable. Twins dont seem to have that hesistation for me. Its like paddling into a wave and the board decides for you. "Oh your definitely going", lol. The Aipa I have is ridiculous on speed. Low rocker, straight rails, wide tail, and no trailer makes it a rocket. It was a bit much at first, but once I figured it out everything else feels slow, especially my hp shortboards.

One reason I stopped running a regular thruster set in my Gremlin and switched to a twin+1 was for the get up and go. It was really noticeable when switching the fin sets. I think some like to feel that back fin when groveling to push off of and pump. Thats how I was. Groveling on twins you dont feel that, its more about less pumping and letting the extra glide assist. Took me a while to adjust. Had to slow down my surfing and be less twitchy in a way.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Hmm. Is this alleviated in your quad-twin asym Burches?
No, I find them to be more twin-like.

If I'm surfing a fast down the line beachbreak, I'd pick a thruster for the instant speed I get out of them.

If I'm surfing an open faced point, the Burch's are the call.

However, even though the thruster has more get up and go the speed will max out at a certain point. The Burch's have a higher top end.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I find thrusters give me more time to gather myself on takeoff. Like they hang around the lip longer and gives me extra time to think if I want to drop in, go left/right, etc...than overall they feel slower but more stable. Twins dont seem to have that hesistation for me. Its like paddling into a wave and the board decides for you. "Oh your definitely going", lol. The Aipa I have is ridiculous on speed. Low rocker, straight rails, wide tail, and no trailer makes it a rocket. It was a bit much at first, but once I figured it out everything else feels slow, especially my hp shortboards.

One reason I stopped running a regular thruster set in my Gremlin and switched to a twin+1 was for the get up and go. It was really noticeable when switching the fin sets. I think some like to feel that back fin when groveling to push off of and pump. Thats how I was. Groveling on twins you dont feel that, its more about less pumping and letting the extra glide assist. Took me a while to adjust. Had to slow down my surfing and be less twitchy in a way.
you just put into words something I have felt for a long time. Thanks

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I wonder if this is more of a twin characteristic? I've never had a twin that was quicker out of the gate than a thruster. Could just be the twins I've tried though.
This is my third twin and I would say that's a true statement. When the typical wave out front is six seconds long, I want to hit possibly the one and only section with as much speed as possible. I've been reaching for my thrusters more unless I'm surfing the hill.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
This is my third twin and I would say that's a true statement. When the typical wave out front is six seconds long, I want to hit possibly the one and only section with as much speed as possible. I've been reaching for my thrusters more unless I'm surfing the hill.
Does a training wheel help?
I’ve pretty much been surfing twins the past 2-4 years so I guess I don’t remember this. Aside from my stepup, the closest I’ve come to surfing a thruster is GMM2 with MRs + trailer.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’ve pretty much been surfing twins the past 2-4 years so I guess I don’t remember this. Aside from my stepup, the closest I’ve come to surfing a thruster is GMM2 with MRs + trailer.
Just dedicated twins. No training wheel option.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It's called a 'thruster' for a reason. ;)

I think it's most noticeable in your initial pump or bottom turn on a weaker wave where you need to generate your own speed. I feel like a thruster projects quickly out of that first pump or turn while a twin just kind of maintains. That's what I feel at least.

*Disclaimer: I'm an dumbass who's incapable of intelligently describing surf feelz.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It's called a 'thruster' for a reason. ;)

I think it's most noticeable in your initial pump or bottom turn on a weaker wave where you need to generate your own speed. I feel like a thruster projects quickly out of that first pump or turn while a twin just kind of maintains. That's what I feel at least.

*Disclaimer: I'm an dumbass who's incapable of intelligently describing surf feelz.
Curious do you ride quads and how do ya feel right off go or off 1st pump etc speed? I gave up on thrusters long ago and only have twins, quads, and Malcom shaped bonzers. I feel the 5 fin MC bonzer is a super supped up single with thruster like characters and some:shaka:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
agree about the “kick” you can get from a thruster on small/soft days.

never really thought about the twin takeoff in gutless takeoffs but i guess there is an earlier point down the line while on a thruster I’ll do the mentioned pop and hard kick/pump at the same time.

iirc, it’s a southern california thing, thinking the San Clemente region.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Curious do you ride quads and how do ya feel right off go or off 1st pump etc speed? I gave up on thrusters long ago and only have twins, quads, and Malcom shaped bonzers. I feel the 5 fin MC bonzer is a super supped up single with thruster like characters and some:shaka:
I don't have any dedicated quads at the moment but I have had them in the past and liked them. Fins had to be flat foiled all around. I feel them slow down with any inside foil on the rear fins. I still prefer thrusters in most conditions, however. I think quads are better in barreling waves because the tail locks in easier with two fins in the face of the wave.

Seems to be a common philosophy that quads are faster than thrusters. I haven't personally felt I could get more speed out of a quad although they didn't feel slower to me either. Quads and thrusters definitely feel like they have more projection out of a pump or bottom turn than a twin though. To me at least.

I have ridden a 5-fin bonzer (not a Campbell Bros) and it felt slow off the line to me. Could have very well been that particular board and not the fin set-up.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Last weekend I snagged a 5’8 RNF96 off Craigslist. Between this used yolo, and borrowing oeste’s Lightblender and Aipa Contemporary Fish, I’ve been holding my own electric acid boar test with myself, a very much below-average surfer.
I will say, my first session with the RNF96 was the best first session I’ve had with a new-to-me board in awhile. The Lb and con fish are still on the table.
All 3 boards have gone good, and I’m still thoroughly confused…haha
5453049E-0ECD-410B-BAEF-B01B00E4B889.jpeg