New Palm Springs Wave Pool Coming - Will YOU Surf it?

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Yes. Mom's got a place in La Quinta. We never go but would now.

There was an article in the Desert Sun in 2018 about another potential wave pool/resort in the area.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/money/business/tourism/2018/08/30/desert-wave-ventures-planning-surf-resort-palm-desert/1145204002/

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
if it looks fun and is reasonably prices like the BSR one, why not?

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
The PSAA ran a contest out there at The Oasis Water Resort.
Kinda fun bein' there surfin' in a pool looong ago, so many waves,
very short period between 'em, every~one got plenty to practice on before it started.

From The Los Angeles Times: SUNDAY READING
The Ultimate Palm Springs Pool : Sun, Sand and Now a Surf Machine.
The Desert Town at Last Has It All.

Link:
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-05/magazine/tm-1_1_desert-surf

On an otherwise parched Sunday afternoon on the sand flats near Palm Springs, some of this country's best surfers are challenging the waves at an amusement park called the Oasis Water Resort. In a glorified swimming pool. The prize, if you can believe it, is $7,000. We are at the Budweiser Desert Classic, a new event on the U.S. Pro Tour of Surfing and Bodyboarding, and the images are difficult to take in all at once: the magical blues and whites of the water-fun park giving way, just past the surfline, to vacant scrubland; the competitors jockeying their boards beneath the snow-capped peaks of Mt. San Jacinto; and the whole backdrop framed, appropriately, by the power lines that make these pleasures possible.

The desert surf (such as we know it) is generated by pneumatic wave machines. The surf 's always up here, and always precisely the same. The waves measure four feet from bottom to lip and are spaced 2 1/2 seconds apart. <snip>
The dudes who were real light on their feet did well, a young Chris Brown won it, IIRC.

This pic shows what ya did:

Took off by the wall, went left for a short while, hit it, banked off it, got some speed as it turned into a faster right, much bigger swacks happenin' here, then it was on to that slower end section of the quickly fadin' left. You could some~times, if your board was fast+buoyant enough, get a half~turn in the middle of the pool too. Be really fun+interesting to see what the kids now~a~dayz could do on that chlorinated wave...

PS ~ The water slides were bitchin' fun also if you too had never been to a water park before!
:wave2:

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
The stab article indicated the park was closed. Wanting to "look over the fence," I googled it. First, I called the number, and the recording and phone info system indicates it is still open. Then I went to the website, and it says "closed 2019 for exciting renovations."
I cant imagine the maintenance and management of a joint like that. Hope they are not in over their heads.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
slopokecr said:
The stab article indicated the park was closed. Wanting to "look over the fence," I googled it. First, I called the number, and the recording and phone info system indicates it is still open. Then I went to the website, and it says "closed 2019 for exciting renovations."
I cant imagine the maintenance and management of a joint like that. Hope they are not in over their heads.
The insurance costs alone...

PhatCruiser

Michael Peterson status
Feb 8, 2007
Make for an interesting Board Sport Trifecta - Big Bear, PS Skatepark, PS Wave Pool.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I can hear Turtle now, “OK brah, the concrete starts just about here and stretches all the way down to there. So when the wave breaks here, don’t be there, or you gonna get drilled…” :monkey:

May 15, 2017
A big issue the parks face is boards colliding into people. And cement and fiberglass dont mix well either.
The foamie boards all fall apart in the chlorine because epp and eva dont like chlorine.
Park boards will likely be covered by a soft skin shell. Sort of like snowboards were eventually made specifically for parks— surfboards will be too.