New Ford Bronco to be released on...

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
i remember drinking beer watching that chase on television.
I was a day out coming home from an 8-day long range trip on the Q-105 when someone came running into the galley and said to turn the TV on, everyone was trippn'

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Ok.
I don’t like flushing money down the toilet but you go right ahead.
I don’t even buy new cars.
They lose value immediately and we really don’t need to be building new cars. We could stop production of all new cars and we’d still have enough cars for a couple generations.
It’s wasteful.
No financing either.
I drive an ‘04 Tacoma that i bought used in ‘06.
Maintenance? other than brake pads, tires, oil...None. Zero. Haven’t even changed a light bulb.
My Tacoma had some issues, maybe $1k-2k to bring it to a place where I would feel comfortable driving it to remote places without worrying about breaking down and having to hike 50 miles. I babied it and did every bit of scheduled maintenance. I'm not sure how you've had it that long without having to change the serpentine belt and at that age, the timing belt. If that thing goes it isn't going to be pretty. 2004-2020 is a good run but preventative maintenance is key for longevity.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I used to buy but now I only lease. They don't make them like they used to and the leases I've done require zero down and I get a new ride every 3 years. Plus lower payments and I don't want to own a 5 year old car and roll the dice on the maintenance issues for the next 5 years after it's "paid off". It's just way cleaner for me to lease.

When it comes to depreciating assets.. if it rolls, floats, fly's or fooks... rent it.

With that said.. I get a car allowance and my lease is up in a month on my Touareg so I'm turning that one in for the new Atlas Cross Sport V6. It's basically an Audi Q7 with vw skin. Yewww! :)

Reactions: CutnSnip

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My Tacoma had some issues, maybe $1k-2k to bring it to a place where I would feel comfortable driving it to remote places without worrying about breaking down and having to hike 50 miles. I babied it and did every bit of scheduled maintenance. I'm not sure how you've had it that long without having to change the serpentine belt and at that age, the timing belt. If that thing goes it isn't going to be pretty. 2004-2020 is a good run but preventative maintenance is key for longevity.
It's because the story is 99% bullshit. The timing change is required maintenance on those engines.

A 20 year old Tacoma will need at a minimum:

Timing Chain
U Joints
Shocks and/Or major suspension work

I used to build Toyota trucks as a hobby. They're good trucks. But they're mechanical machines and will not last forever no matter what anyone thinks.

Reactions: CJSB

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's because the story is 99% bullshit. The timing change is required maintenance on those engines.

A 20 year old Tacoma will need at a minimum:

Timing Chain
U Joints
Shocks and/Or major suspension work

I used to build Toyota trucks as a hobby. They're good trucks. But they're mechanical machines and will not last forever no matter what anyone thinks.
Mine has 80k miles on it.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
If you have a business/corporation leasing yourself a car through the business can work out really well. Ask your accountant

Reactions: npsp and grg

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Ok.

I don’t like flushing money down the toilet but you go right ahead.

I don’t even buy new cars.

They lose value immediately and we really don’t need to be building new cars. We could stop production of all new cars and we’d still have enough cars for a couple generations.

It’s wasteful.

No financing either.

I drive an ‘04 Tacoma that i bought used in ‘06.

Maintenance? other than brake pads, tires, oil...None. Zero. Haven’t even changed a light bulb.
Whatever works for you. I dont like driving something old, i like all the new tech and I get bored of the same car after a couple years.

In September I got a 2020 Acura RDX fully loaded - no money down except first payment and registration and my monthly payment is 365 with Tax for 36 months. Doesnt feel like Im flushing money down the toilet.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Whatever works for you. I dont like driving something old, i like all the new tech and I get bored of the same car after a couple years.

In September I got a 2020 Acura MDX fully loaded - no money down except first payment and registration and my monthly payment is 365 with Tax for 36 months. Doesnt feel like Im flushing money down the toilet.
Ok.

My monthly payment is $0.

I like paying $0.

Reactions: CJSB

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
16 yr old truck with 80k is nice. But generally means either you have another vehicle, you live on the ns, tavarua, etc or you don’t surf much.
I live where I can do most of my day to day on foot or bike.

I have a work truck for work (2013 Silverado).

I surf a lot (usually put of the work truck (which is about toast)).

I live a mile from SandBar.

The tacoma goes to the beach, the dump and the home improvement center.

Wife drives a bmw.

All three were bought used, paid with cash. No payments.

Have you ever lost 75% of your income without warning and had two car payments, a mortgage, a kid in private school, a storage unit, a broken neck and your credit card bill is due in 4 days?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I Have A White Bronco :) Lifted too. 4" Skyjacker lift, 33's

I've actually had 4 Full Size Bronco's over the years starting at 18. Love em'

The Ford 351 Small Block is a pain in the ass though - fixing wise. The Rear Main seals never last and expensive to replace. The gasket is cheap but you have to remove so much stuff to get at it. Great money if you own a repair shop though. The water pumps and fuel pumps go out to. Other than that, I dig them. Easy to get parts for them at the Bronco Graveyard

I was looking at the patents Ford was doing with the removable doors and top awhile back in some article, sorta cool.

May have to send off my Daughter to college in one. That might get a few looks, a White 96 Ford Bronco and a New one in the driveway.

Ford was smart not to price them like Tahoe's - FNA 60K+ for a Tahoe these days. No way.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'm planning to buy a Bronco as long as it isn't stupid expensive. 4 doors, 4x4, manual trans. I'm in.

I priced an Expedition out and it was 65K. I then priced a F-250 and I could buy one and have 20K left over. Minivans are still king if you need the 3rd row.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I feel obliged to chime in here.

First I was a Ford guy. Had a 1994 Ranger in high school and loved it, no problems. Had a Ford Exploder in college and the transmission died. Mom gave me her convertible mustang and I felt like such a kook driving that thing. But no problems.

Then when I moved to the Caribbean, I shipped down a 1994 F-250 mechanically injected IDI turbo diesel with 4x4 and manual transmission. A real man's truck if you know what I mean. For those of you who don't know, this was the year before the power stroke which had a computer. I changed out the pinched down pipe and deleted muffler and straight piped her. I ran all kinds of oils through it and with the dual tanks and a switch to change tanks on the fly, burning alternative fuel worked great. No problems with that truck whatsoever.

Then I bought some property which required me to have a smaller truck. I found a low priced 1996 Tacoma with 4x4 and manual transmission. She had about 250k. I put air bags on the back end and hauled around my 250 gal water buffalo, untold amounts of gravel, sand, lumber, etc. She perfomred flawlessly and engine ran like a seing machine. No problems whatsover.

I loved that Taco so much that I waited until I found another one in cherry condition with 140k. And then I found it, another 96 with 4x4 and manual. Put the air bags on again and worked her hard. Then one day saw the dreaded white smoke out the tailpipe. $1300 later I had a new head gasket. Decided it was time to move on to the 2nd gen.

Recently "upgraded" to a 2008 4x4 with manual transmission. The previous 1st gens I had were the V6 3.4L. This 2nd gen is the 4 cyl 2.7L. So far I like it a lot and appreciate the additional comfort and it seems to have almost as much power and torque as the 1st gen V6's. Plus with the access cab doors that actually open I can have my son ride more comfortably in the back.

But I will always have a special place for a 1st gen in my heart. I still have my 96' and will sell it soon. Down here in the Caribbean I get people all the time asking me, "eh de man, sell me ya truck no?"

I am defenitly a Toyota fanboy now. But I wish Ford or Toyota would make a simple small truck again like those 1st gen Tacomas. I think they would be great sellers and if they changed some of the materials out for lighter ones, would be great candidates for electric drive.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I loved that Taco so much that I waited until I found another one in cherry condition with 140k. And then I found it, another 96 with 4x4 and manual. Put the air bags on again and worked her hard. Then one day saw the dreaded white smoke out the tailpipe. $1300 later I had a new head gasket. Decided it was time to move on to the 2nd gen.
The early-mid 90s Toyotas have a gasket recall. Toyota reimbursed me $3k, over 10 years after mine blew with a receipt my buddy wrote up for me since the shop that did it didn't keep records that far back. Then Toyota fixed it again when it blew out the second time. It might be worth looking into that.