New foil invention.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
E-foil related prices are nuts. Lift foils are $12k for the base version. I cannot imagine spending that kind of cash for one of those things. Do they even work in the surf? Seems like the people I see riding them are always in the flats beyond the surf. I guess it would be a great learning tool, but that seems like it would get boring pretty quick.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Does he have a BOM for that? I'll build one.
https://foil.zone/ is where all the technical know how is. It's beyond my pay grade though. There's also whatsapp groups that will help you build it with spreadsheets of everything to buy. I can get you into one of those if you DM me your whatsapp #.

Random link to a "tow boogie" thread. Not sure if this is a good one or not, but it's at the top right now. I've had tows on them. They're fun.

Here is a thread on how to build your own Foil Drive Assist.

Reactions: PRCD

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
E-foil related prices are nuts. Lift foils are $12k for the base version. I cannot imagine spending that kind of cash for one of those things. Do they even work in the surf? Seems like the people I see riding them are always in the flats beyond the surf. I guess it would be a great learning tool, but that seems like it would get boring pretty quick.
Buddy of mine got one, I swore I would never, then on a big day, unsurfable on anything else, he was outside riding the bombs no one else could get. As painful as it was, I threw down, and no regrets. It's opened up a world of fun that is otherwise impossible. I could have spent the same $ on a jetski and towed in, but then need a team and the logistics/coordination are just not realistic around here....so now I have my own personal tow-in. I justify it as "motorcyle money", as loads of regular folks buy that or an ATV and no one calls that crazy...this is the water version.

The flat water does get boring quick, unless you have new terrain to explore (roughly 25km range). But I never get tired of the waves, ranging from hanging around outside the marina or ferry terminal poaching wakes, to wind swell downwinding, to being out in mysto peaks that aren't surfable.

Buying the name brands is safest. Prices are coming down used. There are also more competitors in the middle range. Avoid the low end, you risk throwing your money away on junk.IMG_0645 (2).JPG

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
F$cc yeah :jamon:

That's awesome. Shows what I know. Lol. Guess I shouldn't assume the limits of surf craft based on my two mile morning commute along PCH :shrug:.

Reactions: juandesooka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Buddy of mine got one, I swore I would never, then on a big day, unsurfable on anything else, he was outside riding the bombs no one else could get. As painful as it was, I threw down, and no regrets. It's opened up a world of fun that is otherwise impossible. I could have spent the same $ on a jetski and towed in, but then need a team and the logistics/coordination are just not realistic around here....so now I have my own personal tow-in. I justify it as "motorcyle money", as loads of regular folks buy that or an ATV and no one calls that crazy...this is the water version.

The flat water does get boring quick, unless you have new terrain to explore (roughly 25km range). But I never get tired of the waves, ranging from hanging around outside the marina or ferry terminal poaching wakes, to wind swell downwinding, to being out in mysto peaks that aren't surfable.

Buying the name brands is safest. Prices are coming down used. There are also more competitors in the middle range. Avoid the low end, you risk throwing your money away on junk.View attachment 152337
Where is that? (I don't mean the spot but what part of the world)

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019

Buying the name brands is safest. Prices are coming down used. There are also more competitors in the middle range. Avoid the low end, you risk throwing your money away on junk.View attachment 152337
looks like you could windsurf and do pretty well.
probably get a solid used setup pretty cheap.

Or just cruise around on a jetski and surf the waves

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
looks like you could windsurf and do pretty well.
probably get a solid used setup pretty cheap.

Or just cruise around on a jetski and surf the waves
Right toy for the job any given day ... kiting for surf feel, winging for surf foil feel. Windsurfing doesn't do it for me, gear is cumbersome and restrictive in mobility.

I find efoil in waves is very similar to wing foil, power in and then ride the swell unpowered -- the motor with folding prop adds maybe 20% drag, but as long as waves have some oomph, it foils fine.

Jetski tow in surf foil would be rad, smaller more nimble board, more effective pumping. But riding jetski in surf? Meh, that's like snowmobiling rather than snowboarding.