New Broad Pawn

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Nice, I bought one of the boardroom Varial's (a 5'8 in a similar color, but with gloss diagonal stipe), but I wasn't confident it'd float me despite it stating the normal volume I ride and exchanged it for a custom CI NB2. I think the really foiled rails were throwing me off. I'm hoping he'll do the twin with Firewire for nothing more than the opportunity to demo one before I buy.
Sure looks like a FW model is coming. Or else why do this SD makeup for Dorian?
http://instagr.am/p/B4xm_Glnz9-/

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah I was wondering if one was going to come out.
kind of hate that slater has to stamp his logo and company on it.
Me too. Dislike that tell-tale black stripe (but I appreciate it's smart branding for SD). At least the Tomos only have his logo on the deck and not even a FW one. Surprised Machado doesn't have that same deal.
If Keramas was the first time Slater really rode Aipa's board, I wouldn't hold your breath for a launch until Spring 20. I'm sure they're (Slater, Dorian, Robb) still testing different tails, fin setups, etc. This board's tail looks pretty different to the original one in Keramas.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Keramas is definitely not the first time he’s surfed an Aipa. Fairly certain they have been friends for some time and he’s gotten Boards from him throughout. Theres a video somewhere of slater on an aipa single fin I think at the super bank.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
oh, for sure. I just meant recently, and (as owner of FW) in front of the world surf media. Once he does that and rides it in contests, speculation begins as a possible SD model. And Slater's no dummy... I'm sure he knew Aipa's orders would go through the roof after that if he surfed well on it. Even if FW never releases a model, it sounds like Aipa's stoked on the exposure, given he was able to scale up his production on Oahu. By all accounts, the boards work insane, so everyone wins!
Personally, I want one of those little groveler fishes with the battail. It looked so fast on SurfnShow.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The yellowing is going to hinder repeat business. That's one of my main worries about buying a Firewire. I've seen some pretty new Helium techs on CL that are either uniformly yellow or have splotchy yellow patches.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm surprised they haven't done white resin tint at this point. Use it for all boards. It's not expensive and doesn't hinder work flow if every board uses it.