New Broad Pawn

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Dims: 5'9" x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4
Volume 31.6 liters
Epoxy over Arctic PU
The waves today would have been a great test run but I couldn't pick it up until this evening. Hopefully end of the weekend/beginning of next week will deliver.
Akila.deck.JPGAkila.hull.JPGAkila.rocker.JPG

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That's one sexy boar.

Looks very foiled. How's it feel under arm?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
That's one sexy boar.

Looks very foiled. How's it feel under arm?
Feels really special. Thickest I’ve ever gone but you would never guess it from the rail. Not intimidatingly knifey but definitely refined. Lots of thickness along the stringer, with the most foam seemingly right between the feet. Very subtle concave entry going to moderate and then double starting just after the front foot to vee.
Excellent glass work. It’s a beautiful, clean finish.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
nice sled!
are you considering a nose guard for that tip? yikes!!

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I went to the Surf Station here to see these , The glass work was great

Otis seems to have a great crew at this time , the ones I saw had a polished fine sand and sold for 810.00
There's definitely an extra finish on this. It reminds me of the finish on Stretchs. I know he uses Dolphin Skin sealer at the end.
I'm very impressed. Came out strong and light.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Last month, Varial had a couple Aipas in their stock section of their website.

Looks sick. Is this a DD or what kind of waves did you order this board for?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My buddy ordered one like 4-5 months but I think he slipped through the cracks and wasn't getting any responses after he put his deposit in so he tried to cancel the order. A week ago they emailed him saying your board is done. I don't know all the details but there's no ill will on either side, they refunded him and apologized. He'd already ordered and received a custom from a different shaper.

So anyways, they may have a 6'0 x 19 3/8 x 2 3/8 28.7L winged twin plus 1 sitting around.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Are you in Hawaii?

An AA twin is high on my ish list :drooling:
Wish I pulled the trigger on the vanerial one at the boardroom show
Me too. I almost bought the 5'10 at the boardroom show and it had haunted me ever since.
I'm in LBNY right now. I go back and forth to SoCal for work.

Last month, Varial had a couple Aipas in their stock section of their website.

Looks sick. Is this a DD or what kind of waves did you order this board for?
Asked him for a mainland daily driver twin to replace my standard shortboard. I surf a lot of beachies. He's very custom with his design. I'm pretty sure he tweaked rocker and whatnot.

What's interesting is that the deck is only domed from the rails to 4 or 5" in, then to flat along, and either side of the stringer, rather than one big continuous domed deck.

Reactions: oeste858

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Logo says Surf Factory with the Hawaiian Islands. But, I did go Epoxy glass so dont know if that changes things.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Nice, I bought one of the boardroom Varial's (a 5'8 in a similar color, but with gloss diagonal stipe), but I wasn't confident it'd float me despite it stating the normal volume I ride and exchanged it for a custom CI NB2. I think the really foiled rails were throwing me off. I'm hoping he'll do the twin with Firewire for nothing more than the opportunity to demo one before I buy.