New board suggestion

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If you're going to go the Stretch route I'd ask about the SpeedBuzz (as well as the Buzzsaw and Skate). I just got one at the start of 21' and it's been great. It's a SuperBuzz rocker on a Buzzsaw outline. So will feel a little more like your Superbuzz, but the rocker is mellower and easier to handle than a Buzzsaw. It's not on their website, but they make a lot of them.
Would you say the speedbuzz is kinda like the superbuzz is to Mr buzz step down easier rocker? My buzzsaw is a monster and can handle steepness well. Is a speedbuzz geared at high end or low?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
What do you like and dislike about your superbuzz? Do you ride it as a quad or thruster? Check out skate if you answer thruster or maybe single to double v is not your thing maybe check thing as well. If you like superbuzz but may want more rail more relaxed rocker etc check out buzzsaw. Like mentioned above a shaper can dial your boards if you develop relation and share feed back be honest. Share pros and cons of superbuzz and what wave range and kind of waves you plan on surfing. I use my stretch quiver as kinda step up or how I feel surf mode: gbuzz, superbuzz, buzzsaw, and 2x4 step up and now I added a "It 2win" make thing even more confusing but in a good way:) I would keep the superbuzz and add another stretch to make 2 board quiver with different attitude dd ie: contours, length, fin set up. If you have not done yet do your self favor and get the fu#2 custom fin set and if you have or go 5 boxes get the 5 fin set. Makes the quads go off and I own 2 x 5 fin sets :shaka:
3 fin set up. Fins are expensive here and I could never feel the difference to be honest (maybe one day), so I will probably stick to my PC5s until they eat themselves apart. lol.

What I like or dislike about the Superbuzz? I honestly can't say for sure. Sometimes I feel it's not as fast when it's gutless, and I surf a lot of waves that have a nice steep take off to first turn then it bogs down and it's hard to connect to the inside section. But it's likely any board will feel like that for me.

I also sometimes feel that it may be too wide when the swell period is up a notch and take off is faster and it's hard to push it down, so I end up eating sh!t. but I have to be honest with myself, this is one area I'm improving a lot as of late (I'm not getting awesome at it, I was simply too bad), so it might have been me positioning all wrong. Have been really working to position myself at the apex of the wave and it's amazing how easy it all feels when you do that just right (even makes me rethink the need for easy wave catching vs performance). Then again, it's been a while since we had here one of those really dumping swells when you have to be quick, so as of now I'm not sure if I will still eat sh!t with the superbuzz or if I have improved enough that the board can handle it. I sure feel like a better surfer today.

I was also hoping to get a board that can be a bit lengthier to help paddling (like a 6'1'') but will still feel loose when I want to hit a section. one of my fears is if I order any of these boards a little longer and then learn that they are sh!t if over 5'10'' or something.

These conversations really help, it's how I decided on the superbuzz in the first place... just bear with me :computer:

Also, thanks for opening my eyes to the SubDriver... description looks :beer:. definitely doing some research.

and I guess I kinda must try my friend's V3 Stealth. It does look pretty cool, but that diamond tail screams ding ding ding! So many pressure points.

Would love to try the Pyzel, but I don't know where I can find it here. Lost, DHD, Stretch seem easier to find here. (stretch isn't really easy to find and almost no one knows them, but I do so easy for me)

Sep 18, 2020
The Chilli Volume II is worth adding to the consideration set.

I've found it to be a fast board, a pretty easy paddler, big sweet spot, and will still crank when you get your back foot back. Good volume down the middle, wide tailblock, and relatively flat exit rocker. It surfs a bit more on the water than in the water. I have an EPS model and have surfed it anywhere from waist to just overhead. Chilli describes it as a small wave board but it's really a daily driver. Just enough ease of use. Plenty of performance to give too. It's a great board in that you don't notice it. I sized mine 1" under my normal shortboard height.

I really like the Driver 2.0 as well. Compared to the Volume II, it definitely has more of a performance feel to it, and while a solid paddller, it doesn't don't paddle quite as well as the Chilli. The rocker and design is more evident on the Driver 2.0. Which I absolutely love sometimes too - shines best with better waves on days you want to be more aggressive with your surfing.

Reactions: brukuns

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
The Chilli Volume II is worth adding to the consideration set.

I've found it to be a fast board, a pretty easy paddler, big sweet spot, and will still crank when you get your back foot back. Good volume down the middle, wide tailblock, and relatively flat exit rocker. It surfs a bit more on the water than in the water. I have an EPS model and have surfed it anywhere from waist to just overhead. Chilli describes it as a small wave board but it's really a daily driver. Just enough ease of use. Plenty of performance to give too. It's a great board in that you don't notice it. I sized mine 1" under my normal shortboard height.

I really like the Driver 2.0 as well. Compared to the Volume II, it definitely has more of a performance feel to it, and while a solid paddller, it doesn't don't paddle quite as well as the Chilli. The rocker and design is more evident on the Driver 2.0. Which I absolutely love sometimes too - shines best with better waves on days you want to be more aggressive with your surfing.
had a vol 2 and hated it, too much rocker up front and not enough out the back. paddled and rode like sh!t on the wave. ironically it went better backside than frontside, total POS. Had a Driver 1.0 that was decent, can't comment on the new version.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
3 fin set up. Fins are expensive here and I could never feel the difference to be honest (maybe one day), so I will probably stick to my PC5s until they eat themselves apart. lol.

What I like or dislike about the Superbuzz? I honestly can't say for sure. Sometimes I feel it's not as fast when it's gutless, and I surf a lot of waves that have a nice steep take off to first turn then it bogs down and it's hard to connect to the inside section. But it's likely any board will feel like that for me.

I also sometimes feel that it may be too wide when the swell period is up a notch and take off is faster and it's hard to push it down, so I end up eating sh!t. but I have to be honest with myself, this is one area I'm improving a lot as of late (I'm not getting awesome at it, I was simply too bad), so it might have been me positioning all wrong. Have been really working to position myself at the apex of the wave and it's amazing how easy it all feels when you do that just right (even makes me rethink the need for easy wave catching vs performance). Then again, it's been a while since we had here one of those really dumping swells when you have to be quick, so as of now I'm not sure if I will still eat sh!t with the superbuzz or if I have improved enough that the board can handle it. I sure feel like a better surfer today.

I was also hoping to get a board that can be a bit lengthier to help paddling (like a 6'1'') but will still feel loose when I want to hit a section. one of my fears is if I order any of these boards a little longer and then learn that they are sh!t if over 5'10'' or something.

These conversations really help, it's how I decided on the superbuzz in the first place... just bear with me :computer:

Also, thanks for opening my eyes to the SubDriver... description looks :beer:. definitely doing some research.

and I guess I kinda must try my friend's V3 Stealth. It does look pretty cool, but that diamond tail screams ding ding ding! So many pressure points.

Would love to try the Pyzel, but I don't know where I can find it here. Lost, DHD, Stretch seem easier to find here. (stretch isn't really easy to find and almost no one knows them, but I do so easy for me)
Did you get your superbuzz used or off the rack? Superbuzz is meant to run short mine is 6" below my height and forces you to take off under the lip and stay in the pocket. I am not sure your dims and your superbuzz mine are: 5'8" 170# 51 years old superbuzz 5'2" x19.5" x2.375" thumbtail quad FU#2. If you went custom and went to brazzo stretch with info superbuzz and your self sure they could dial you in. How about a 5150?

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
hit up that cabianca guy

heard ur country has niceee bundas!
+1. Have one of Cabianca's shape and love it. Pretty much what OP is looking for. Top 3 best small wave thruster evah, and I am a twin/quad duus

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
had a vol 2 and hated it, too much rocker up front and not enough out the back. paddled and rode like sh!t on the wave. ironically it went better backside than frontside, total POS.
Interesting observation re: Chilli on going better backside than it did frontside. There was a board I had which I describe in exactly those words. What did you think was the reason for it, I couldn't figure it out?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Interesting observation re: Chilli on going better backside than it did frontside. There was a board I had which I describe in exactly those words. What did you think was the reason for it, I couldn't figure it out?
rocker didn't jive with my style, front foot heavy and lower entry type of boards seem to be the call most of the time. have the faded 2.0 and it goes much better.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Would you say the speedbuzz is kinda like the superbuzz is to Mr buzz step down easier rocker? My buzzsaw is a monster and can handle steepness well. Is a speedbuzz geared at high end or low?
definitely low end. i guess you could think about it two ways

1- you always like the looks of the superbuzz but don't like to ride everyday boards super short/wide nose. the speedbuzz just stretches it out a bit. same rocker, same bottom contours. just 5 inches longer and less swing weight

2- you want a mellower version/step down version of the Buzzsaw. J.O.B. can use his Buzz at backdoor and i'll use my speedB at churches :). same outline, similar contours, but mellower entry and exit rockers

i came at it from #1; and i made it wider. my speedb is 5'10 20.25. i think a normal buzzs at 5'10 is more like 19.25? so mine isn't right down the middle. it's skewed towards the superbuzz side.

i think they do themselves a disservice not having the speedbuzz and the fat bat up on their site.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
definitely low end. i guess you could think about it two ways

1- you always like the looks of the superbuzz but don't like to ride everyday boards super short/wide nose. the speedbuzz just stretches it out a bit. same rocker, same bottom contours. just 5 inches longer and less swing weight

2- you want a mellower version/step down version of the Buzzsaw. J.O.B. can use his Buzz at backdoor and i'll use my speedB at churches :). same outline, similar contours, but mellower entry and exit rockers

i came at it from #1; and i made it wider. my speedb is 5'10 20.25. i think a normal buzzs at 5'10 is more like 19.25? so mine isn't right down the middle. it's skewed towards the superbuzz side.

i think they do themselves a disservice not having the speedbuzz and the fat bat up on their site.
Yes and no but still bezt to talk to Dylan and give as much input as possible and be honest and they well dial a board in or in my case a quiver:shaka:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sometimes I feel it's not as fast when it's gutless, and I surf a lot of waves that have a nice steep take off to first turn then it bogs down and it's hard to connect to the inside section. But it's likely any board will feel like that for me.

I also sometimes feel that it may be too wide when the swell period is up a notch and take off is faster and it's hard to push it down, so I end up eating sh!t. but I have to be honest with myself, this is one area I'm improving a lot as of late (I'm not getting awesome at it, I was simply too bad)
Brukuns these are competing objectives imho. That which glides across flat spots is not that which sticks late vert drops.

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
I picked up a Rocket Wide recently and have been very happy with it. Great SoCal daily driver board. I originally had the AM Alpha fins on it (the ones made from fishing nets) and the board felt a little sluggish on take off so I put a set of Black Stix in and now it's nice and speedy out the gate. Paddles really well, gets into waves easily, and is nice and stable when popping up. I went OTR b/c I didn't feel like waiting for a custom turnaround and if I did, I would thin out the width and thickness a bit, but overall it moves down the line very smooth and snaps turns smoothly as well.

For comparison, I was on a Sampler before that, (which I really like) but the Sampler defientely feels looser and twitchier than the Rocket.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Brukuns these are competing objectives imho. That which glides across flat spots is not that which sticks late vert drops.
In general, yes, but I’ll offer the caveat that if the boards are short enough (5’5-5’9 for me at 6’ tall), they handle late drops fine. My usual reefs have a steep takeoff, then often a slow spot or two before it connects to the inside reef. So I’ve tended to gravitate towards short stubby fish/alt/“Hawaiian grovelers”/minisim hybrids that can do both. YMMV

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
In general, yes, but I’ll offer the caveat that if the boards are short enough (5’5-5’9 for me at 6’ tall), they handle late drops fine. My usual reefs have a steep takeoff, then often a slow spot or two before it connects to the inside reef. So I’ve tended to gravitate towards short stubby fish/alt/“Hawaiian grovelers”/minisim hybrids that can do both. YMMV
Yes forces you to take off under lip and stay in pocket this is why I also like short stubby boards.

Reactions: oeste858

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
also sometimes feel that it may be too wide when the swell period is up a notch and take off is faster and it's hard to push it down, so I end up eating sh!t. but I have to be honest with myself,
This definitely happens when the waves get punchier. The wide nose lifts so much you can't push it down the wave, making it scary to ride in bigger beachbreak because you hang up in the lip. Measure the width of the nose and order a basic thruster from a local guy that's 2" longer with a narrower nose in the top 12" of the board. It's better to order a thruster with a bit more volume for smaller waves to bigger waves than try to make one of those fishy boards work in bigger waves.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This definitely happens when the waves get punchier. The wide nose lifts so much you can't push it down the wave, making it scary to ride in bigger beachbreak because you hang up in the lip. Measure the width of the nose and order a basic thruster from a local guy that's 2" longer with a narrower nose in the top 12" of the board. It's better to order a thruster with a bit more volume for smaller waves to bigger waves than try to make one of those fishy boards work in bigger waves.
I could not disagree more on wider nose "buzz nose" making it harder to ride steeper bigger waves at beach break. I ride beach break combo reef 99.9% and find it helps if anything less chance pearl and helps with chop. I own many beak, buzz, semi buzz boards (gbuzz, superbuzz, buzzsaw, 2x4, It 2win w/ buzz nose, alpha omega, ewing bonzer log).

I think if Nathan Fletcher goes it works...

Reactions: paunch23