New board suggestion

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hey guys,

My last board was a 5'9'' Stretch Superbuzz. I'm really stoked on it and it's helping me to progress. Easy to paddle and catch waves, can hold overhead surf quite well for its outline and it's quite easy to maneuver even though it looks a bit bulky. Thing is, it's over 4 years old already, still looks really nice but it's starting to show its age. So I think it's about time to order a new one.

I got my boards wrong so many times, I wanna be very careful choosing this next one. It will be a daily driver... I live far from the surf, so if it's too small, I probably won't even drive down (so no need for a full on groveler)... If it pushes over 3+ overhead I probably won't have anything to do with it (I'd gladly engage in big cobblestone points, but gnarly beach breaks when big are a different story).

Needs to be easy to catch waves because in the end I will only progress if I catch a lot of them. It needs to be user friendly because I'm not really a good surfer, but it needs to allow me to progress because I actually like trying to hit the lip and go vertical when possible (even though it probably doesn't look vertical at all when I do it).

Thinking UberDriver.
* Is it user friendly enough?
* Can it handle overhead and a bit faster waves as well as the Superbuzz can?

Thinking Driver 2.0.
*Will it work well enough when it's waist high and not too powerful?
* How user friendly is it?
* Can it catch waves like a breeze?

If it's thge Uberdriver, I was thinking of going 6'0''... hoping that a bit more length would help, just nkot sure if the board likes more length.

Driver 2.0. probably thinking 6'2''... not sure it will suck when it head high and below though.

Hoping to start a conversation around this and mature the idea. As always, appreciate everyone's input.

For your troubles!
surfer.jpg

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Excellent photo; wouldn't rule out Sub Driver if you're looking at the Driver and Uber Driver.

IMHO Driver sounds like a bit of an aggressive/HP shape if you're coming off that Stretch, but others on here have ridden them and can weigh in.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Buy these boards in this order

Wavestorm- HyptoKrypto - puddle jumper -Seaside - fling - uber driver - sub driver- driver 2.5 - aipa - TKF - Twin Pin - Bonzer - Midlength - Glider - Walden Magic Model - Greg Griffin - Manta

jokes aside - Driver is fun, multiple people say Uber Driver range is limited. You'd be better off w a Sub Driver. A lot of people like the Fever as well for all around. Or the Sampler if you want something more generous.

Reactions: waxfoot and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The Driver 2.0 is ridden by pros. I would look at the sub diver 2.0 or the Uber driver. A Stretch Skate would be a good transition.

Reactions: Aruka

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Maybe you were just trying to be humble but nothing about this sentence says you want a Driver (any of them)

"Needs to be easy to catch waves because in the end I will only progress if I catch a lot of them. It needs to be user friendly because I'm not really a good surfer"

If we're talking off the rack models, that sentence says Puddle Jumper HP, Lost Rocket, CI Rocket Wide, Neckbeard etc and yada

Jul 4, 2006
New England
I've been riding the RNF Retro for the past year+ and had it out in a number of different conditions; its good thigh-chest+ but is still a bit more full in the rail and not really a hit the lip type of board. Isn't great for pitchy waves but I have a lot of fatter waves near me so it makes a great DD if your goal is wave count. The new RNF-96 that just came out looks a little knifier yet still should work well as an all-arounder that still has a lot of ease and forgiveness in it. Typical Lost; they pump out a bunch of stock boards so you might be able to pick one up from an on-line retailer pretty easily.

Also could be worth sticking with Stretch if you like the feel of your current board, could be easy to build off what feels familiar.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
If you really like current board, reach out to the same shaper with what you’re looking for feel/performance-wise that’s different from that board to dial in the next one- whether it’s a more refined/diff dims version of your current one or a different model.
This is based on over 30 yrs of experience - a NO brainer. it increases the likely hood of getting a great board 10 fold; otherwise you’re just shooting in the dark.

Do that, n if you are curious about boards from a diff shaper - also pick up one of those second hand/CL etc to check out.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Tbh, based on description from the OP, going for the HP that fucks will be money wasted.

get an alt board. I think you want an alt board. alt boards aren’t all dorky, but some are. get one that can get hp, but lots of cheat built in.

stamps flare comes to mind.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Good feedback. This is exactly what I want, someone to tell me I'm talking nonsense. Describing my ability is confusing... I've been surfing for a very long time, but at the same time I feel like a total kook.

I'll definitely consider just upgrading to a new stretch. Now that the Skate was mentioned, it does sound like a good upgrade! I don't know why I wasn't considering it. I love my superbuzz, but sometimes I feel it could be faster and more "knifey".

Just to give some feedback on why I was considering the Driver... my current board still has some life left in it and I was considering just getting a step up... but I changed my mind since them, rather get another DD and maybe even sell my current stretch while it still has some life left in it. so I agree, the Driver is off the table.

A buddy of mine swears by the V3 Stealth, anyone ever ridden? I can probably try it from him (he's pretty much my only surfing buddy, surf with him all the time), but it's brand new so he's all touchy feely about, would hate to put a ding on it.

I was under the impression the subdriver was more for the pros. will read more about it.

Never even considered the RNF, will check.

To be honest I'm almost sold on just upgrading to a new Stretch.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I’d definitely recommend at least talking to the guys at stretch. I had a buzzsaw that was epic, very much regret selling it. I think It might fit into what you’re looking for.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
If you're going to go the Stretch route I'd ask about the SpeedBuzz (as well as the Buzzsaw and Skate). I just got one at the start of 21' and it's been great. It's a SuperBuzz rocker on a Buzzsaw outline. So will feel a little more like your Superbuzz, but the rocker is mellower and easier to handle than a Buzzsaw. It's not on their website, but they make a lot of them.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
v3 stealth is like a rocket w a more bladed nose, friend loves his.
He just got the Cali Twin and is loving that as well.
good for texas mush

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Good feedback. This is exactly what I want, someone to tell me I'm talking nonsense. Describing my ability is confusing... I've been surfing for a very long time, but at the same time I feel like a total kook.

I'll definitely consider just upgrading to a new stretch. Now that the Skate was mentioned, it does sound like a good upgrade! I don't know why I wasn't considering it. I love my superbuzz, but sometimes I feel it could be faster and more "knifey".

Just to give some feedback on why I was considering the Driver... my current board still has some life left in it and I was considering just getting a step up... but I changed my mind since them, rather get another DD and maybe even sell my current stretch while it still has some life left in it. so I agree, the Driver is off the table.

A buddy of mine swears by the V3 Stealth, anyone ever ridden? I can probably try it from him (he's pretty much my only surfing buddy, surf with him all the time), but it's brand new so he's all touchy feely about, would hate to put a ding on it.

I was under the impression the subdriver was more for the pros. will read more about it.

Never even considered the RNF, will check.

To be honest I'm almost sold on just upgrading to a new Stretch.
What do you like and dislike about your superbuzz? Do you ride it as a quad or thruster? Check out skate if you answer thruster or maybe single to double v is not your thing maybe check thing as well. If you like superbuzz but may want more rail more relaxed rocker etc check out buzzsaw. Like mentioned above a shaper can dial your boards if you develop relation and share feed back be honest. Share pros and cons of superbuzz and what wave range and kind of waves you plan on surfing. I use my stretch quiver as kinda step up or how I feel surf mode: gbuzz, superbuzz, buzzsaw, and 2x4 step up and now I added a "It 2win" make thing even more confusing but in a good way:) I would keep the superbuzz and add another stretch to make 2 board quiver with different attitude dd ie: contours, length, fin set up. If you have not done yet do your self favor and get the fu#2 custom fin set and if you have or go 5 boxes get the 5 fin set. Makes the quads go off and I own 2 x 5 fin sets :shaka: