New board suggestion

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I have a driver 2.0 - 6'2 31.5L . I'm 6'0 170ish

I live in San Francisco, so I tend to opt for more volume as there is a lot of drift and paddling involved.

I've only surfed it at OB a few times, coincidentally those were days were it was head high+ and barrelling off a drained out low. Crowds were heavy those days, but the board got me in early, which helped me fend off the crowd. The board paddles well, even though there is a noticeable amount of nose rocker on it. I find its really user friendly and there's less "thinking" involved because the board does what you want it to do

I've surfed it a lot at some of the waves in and around the SC area and its performed well. It definitely needs waves that are more top to bottom to come alive. Its coming with me to the mentawais at the end of the month, will be awesome to get it in some proper waves for an extended period of time.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Never considered it. What model are we talking about? Checked their website and felt a little lost.
The Medina. shallow swallow tail.

Reactions: PRCD and jkb

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Haydenshapes Loot is a really versatile one. Easy to surf. Handles a wide range of sizes and conditions. Not a groveler but will slay some mushy runners as long as there is some push. Handles steep drops and tubes too.

Not a fan of the quad placement so I only liked it as a thruster.

CI Ultra Joe looks like a similar style of board but I haven't tried one. I want to though.
Haydenshapes are hard to find here...I see many of them in the water but mostly because I surf in this ultra high end gated community, so those guys travel abroad all the time and bring in the goods.

CIs are just too expensive here so I simply count them out. I'm sure they're good, but I can find excellent boards for near half the price.

Reactions: Aruka

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
The Medina. shallow swallow tail.

Do this.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That thing has a shitload of rocker - try to test it somewhere you can get a good feel for the wave entry and flat spot crossing test.
If it's not too much and can still go over flat spots on not so tiny surf, this may be good. I will still have my Superbuzz that has very little rocker and will be my go to board when I know it's really on the small side. The V3 would be my go to when it gets a tad bit bigger, but will still work if when I get there it's smaller than it should be (which happens often). I understand it can hold quite a lot of size for its shape.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Tried the V3 Stealth but didn't really try it. It was weird, most waves closing out. I just didn't like the way it felt under me without even surfing it much (only a couple closeouts). too much rocker on the front.

Got some feedback from my buddy about my own Superbuzz that made sense. It doesn't generate much speed (although fins probably play a part in this) and if hard to take off when it's dumping (which it was for most of the morning).

I decided to stick to the low entry rocker + wide point forward format for my new one, so it stays not too far from my current Superbuzz.

Any one ever tried the DHD Phoenix? It's supposed to be an insanely good paddler. I only fear it may not even hold HH surf. I'm almost pulling the plug.

Reactions: Sprinkles695

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Tried the V3 Stealth but didn't really try it. It was weird, most waves closing out. I just didn't like the way it felt under me without even surfing it much (only a couple closeouts). too much rocker on the front.

Got some feedback from my buddy about my own Superbuzz that made sense. It doesn't generate much speed (although fins probably play a part in this) and if hard to take off when it's dumping (which it was for most of the morning).

I decided to stick to the low entry rocker + wide point forward format for my new one, so it stays not too far from my current Superbuzz.

Any one ever tried the DHD Phoenix? It's supposed to be an insanely good paddler. I only fear it may not even hold HH surf. I'm almost pulling the plug.

Seems like that will work well in 1-4 surf, just like he says. If it gets bigger and punchy, not so well. The nose will plane too much and it will be tough to bury that bigger rail resulting from more volume crammed into a shorter boar. I have also seen Mick surfing 1-4 Huntington and he wasn't riding that boar but his daily driver.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

The buzz boards are meant to be surfed smaller then your height and you take off under lip and surfed in pocket.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I forget if you said Pyzels were available near you, but I would check out Gremlin, AstroPop, and Phantom. All could work for your waves and what you're looking for (low entry/wide pt fwd), Gremlin having the best low end for small/weaker waves

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I forget if you said Pyzels were available near you, but I would check out Gremlin, AstroPop, and Phantom. All could work for your waves and what you're looking for (low entry/wide pt fwd), Gremlin having the best low end for small/weaker waves
I can find Pyzels. more expensive, but it's an options.

I was looking at the Gremlin. Didn't check the Astro Pop. Phantom seems a bit more performance than I'm willing to go.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I can find Pyzels. more expensive, but it's an options.

I was looking at the Gremlin. Didn't check the Astro Pop. Phantom seems a bit more performance than I'm willing to go.
On a recent Boardroom podcast, Jon pyzel talks about the difference between gremlin vs. astropop and recommends the AP to the host as being more versatile.
EDIT: It's at about the 1:01:55 mark...

Last edited:
Reactions: brukuns and sdsrfr

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Oh boy, I'm getting off track again.

Super stoked about the Phoenix... but thinking about it... it's has a lot of lower end but not much higher end.

Living far from the surf, I go based on forecast. And If I end up surfing 2ft mush, it's because it was a bust. I never plan on surfing junk waves, it's usually at least waist high... So maybe a full on groveller is not what I need, but instead a Daily Driver that can paddle particularly well.

Was thinking the Phantom, but it's too low volume... than I learned there's this Phantom XL, and a 5'10 would be around 32 liters, what I think I need.

So damn, looking at those kind of boards now, even though the Phoenix looks so sick. If I knew it had a decent higher end, up to just overhead...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Super stoked about the Phoenix... but thinking about it... it's has a lot of lower end but not much higher end.

Living far from the surf, I go based on forecast. And If I end up surfing 2ft mush, it's because it was a bust. I never plan on surfing junk waves, it's usually at least waist high... So maybe a full on groveller is not what I need, but instead a Daily Driver that can paddle particularly well.

Was thinking the Phantom, but it's too low volume... than I learned there's this Phantom XL, and a 5'10 would be around 32 liters, what I think I need.

So damn, looking at those kind of boards now, even though the Phoenix looks so sick. If I knew it had a decent higher end, up to just overhead...
I think you are overlooking/thinking the quiver and not paying enough attention to the archer:waving:
You can not have your cake and frosting most boards perform and built for one end or other reason most have a quiver of boards. Have you ever considered a mid length? Only boards I know that can surf low and high end surf well:shaka:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

If you’re considering the pyzel models, they should have a online chat function on their website where you can ask questions. Or send them an email. They are responsive.
FWIW I believe the intention of the XL dims is for heavier guys to get enough volume without going too long in length.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Learning of the XL versions of the Pyzel boards changed things a bit.

Currently trying to decide between a full on groveler or an easy paddler Daily Driver.

Groveler side - What's their top range? Can they handle steep small waves? Both look sick, both seem to paddle like beasts.

PZ - Gremlin
DHD - Phoenix

Daily Driver - Too stiff? Too high Performance? What's the best paddler?

Pyzalien 2 XL - Too snappy? can it paddle great? amazing low end.
Phantom XL -Too stiff or maybe just the right amount? Does it paddle better than the Pyzalien?
DHD - Black Diamond - It probably outpaddles any of the above DDs, is that right? Is it too stiff or can it actually go vertical? I'm guessing it's the best paddler but also the stiffest.

So, this is hard... being filthy rich would make things a little easier.

At the end of the day, I avoid really, really small days, which is why I started to look a little more at the DDs. I guess most waves I surf are chest high.

Reactions: Sprinkles695

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Well sh!t... Had an amazing session yesterday that kinda fucked everything up.

It was bigger than I expected. Not huge, but I'm a bir of a chicken sh!t. It was overhead and closing out quite a lot. but corners were there for the taking.

My 5'9'' Superbuzz was just working so well... catching anything with ease (I clearly improved my positioning looking for the Apex so there's that). And holding so well in the overhead surf, clearly not on its limit yet (and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable surfing much bigger waves than those in a beach break).

To sum it up, I think I'll just go full on groveller. My Superbuzz can still work it's magic... it's lower end isn't really great, so I'll try to remedy that.

Felt up the Astro Pop today. Looks amazing, but I read it isn't the best paddler. Couldn't find the Gremlin to check it out. Leaning towards the Phoenix.

I might just hold off on getting one altogether though... As Ned would say... winter is coming. It will be a while before we stop having decent sized swells back to back, so I don't think I'll be needing a groveler before November. I might order one around July.

I'm actually considering a GBuzz or a Quadfish, but I want something that I can throw around, fast but not overly drivey... not sure if the stretches fit that bill. will look into it.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Sounds like what you need is more quality waves. I surf a shitty spot and blame my boards all the time, when in reality is the waves that suck! Then on they odd day the waves shape up I love my boards.
If ur going Pyzel, his all time favorite is the Pyzalien. So that’s saying alot.

Also sounds like you want more rail line? Lenght and a whippy board. Then get a longer stubby shortboard maybe. Skate is pretty flat rocker so i wouldn’t go with that model.
It does sound like your superbuzz is too long. I actually love dropping late and sticking drops on mine. It has a wide but kinda thin nose. I don’t feel like it gets in the way at all, but you have to paddle! And being so short, it fits in tight spaces. Hard to get in early on that board. I din’t think is easy to surf. And that’s a loose board. Maybe you’re standing too far forward?
Mine does feel like a loose skateboard when you put your backfoot where is supposed to go. Quadfish would be more drivey and easier to surf. I had a romance with my quadfish for a while, but the superBzz is just more fun.
I also have a square1 thats fun. That’s the stab in the dark board. Very fun dedicated thruster. I think they said is like a sword outline with his “thing” model rocker.
Can’t beat his quality and you’re already on one of his boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Sounds like what you need is more quality waves. I surf a shitty spot and blame my boards all the time, when in reality is the waves that suck! Then on they odd day the waves shape up I love my boards.
If ur going Pyzel, his all time favorite is the Pyzalien. So that’s saying alot.

Also sounds like you want more rail line? Lenght and a whippy board. Then get a longer stubby shortboard maybe. Skate is pretty flat rocker so i wouldn’t go with that model.
It does sound like your superbuzz is too long. I actually love dropping late and sticking drops on mine. It has a wide but kinda thin nose. I don’t feel like it gets in the way at all, but you have to paddle! And being so short, it fits in tight spaces. Hard to get in early on that board. I din’t think is easy to surf. And that’s a loose board. Maybe you’re standing too far forward?
Mine does feel like a loose skateboard when you put your backfoot where is supposed to go. Quadfish would be more drivey and easier to surf. I had a romance with my quadfish for a while, but the superBzz is just more fun.
I also have a square1 thats fun. That’s the stab in the dark board. Very fun dedicated thruster. I think they said is like a sword outline with his “thing” model rocker.
Can’t beat his quality and you’re already on one of his boards.

I like the length of my Superbuzz considering I really want early entry (I’m terrible at late drops).

I think you are right that I probably lean to far forward.
But mostly I think I should look into different fins. I’m riding it as a thruster using medium PC5 fins.

I’m really considering getting some large Reactors. Larger for more for speed, lower sweep to get snappier. Would also love to get a proper 2+1 (either MR or AM), but those are even more expensive here than the reactors.

I’ll try to bug someone here who may have ridden one of the more performy grovellers (gremlin, phoenix) and also the gbuzz or quad fish and try to get a sense of what to expect.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I like the length of my Superbuzz considering I really want early entry (I’m terrible at late drops).

I think you are right that I probably lean to far forward.
But mostly I think I should look into different fins. I’m riding it as a thruster using medium PC5 fins.

I’m really considering getting some large Reactors. Larger for more for speed, lower sweep to get snappier. Would also love to get a proper 2+1 (either MR or AM), but those are even more expensive here than the reactors.

I’ll try to bug someone here who may have ridden one of the more performy grovellers (gremlin, phoenix) and also the gbuzz or quad fish and try to get a sense of what to expect.
I had the ST 1 quads in my superbuzz but it felt too squirrelly when the waves picked up.
Got a set of the medium buzz quads and it’s made a huge difference. More control, more drive and they pair so well with the deep concaves. I love ‘em!
I know the ST 2 template in Superbuzzs is very popular with some erbbers as well. I think bigger fins would really light up your board. Have you tried a quad set up yet?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Would love to try some STs, but I just can’t find them here in Brazil.
Have tried quads, but the same PC5 set. I do need to try them again, the last time I tried them I was just getting back after a couple years without surfing so I got a lot better since then.

really jonesing for those reactors though. I might be totally wrong, but it feels like it’s exactly what My board needs (and would certainly go well with any of the grovelers I’m looking into)