Nerve reattachment surgery

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anyone ever have it?

I just cut my finger- pinky. 14 stitches. After 9 days the finger is still numb and tingly. The nerve doc said to check after a month and if it's still numb I could get reattachment surgery. Doc said it has a 20% success rate. Sounds like a losing bet.

Has anyone had a nerve reattachment surgery? Or is anyone living with numb, tingly appendage?

ps in the short term I think they were premature in taking out the stitches and the wound opened up a bit. Will probably take a couple more weeks to heal :cursing: .

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My foot is paralyzed.

Numbness is annoying.

I kind of got used to it.

I like to take speed and do hard mental work to forget.

Oh, and I drink too.

Numbness lasts a long time

Does it still work?

If it still works you are fine.

The lotion is in the motion.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My foot is paralyzed.

Numbness is annoying.

I kind of got used to it.

I like to take speed and do hard mental work to forget.

Oh, and I drink too.

Numbness lasts a long time

Does it still work?

If it still works you are fine.

The lotion is in the motion.
How long has your foot been paralyzed? Can you still surf? My finger is only annoying when I touch it. Then it's pins and needles. Finger works. Tendon doc said it was OK. No motion until the cut is healed.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
From my bulged discs in my law back the skin on inside of my ankle and foot are numb. The top of my thigh on the same leg is partially numb. only annoying when I touch it. Have had some other intermittent numbness form them as well.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
How long has your foot been paralyzed? Can you still surf? My finger is only annoying when I touch it. Then it's pins and needles. Finger works. Tendon doc said it was OK. No motion until the cut is healed.
6 years.

Knee board. Pathetically. But I get a fun ride every once in a while.

My thin slice is that you will be okay.

It will always be wonky but you won't notice it.

I'm not a dr.

I just think I am.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
No joke I assisted in my first digital nerve reattachment procedure in 1978. Damn I'm old. They don't have a high success rate and even then there tends to be residual limitations of sensation etc.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone ever have it?

I just cut my finger- pinky. 14 stitches. After 9 days the finger is still numb and tingly. The nerve doc said to check after a month and if it's still numb I could get reattachment surgery. Doc said it has a 20% success rate. Sounds like a losing bet.

Has anyone had a nerve reattachment surgery? Or is anyone living with numb, tingly appendage?

ps in the short term I think they were premature in taking out the stitches and the would opened up a bit. Will probably take a couple more weeks to heal :cursing: .

I cut the outside of the pinky on my right hand pretty badly decades ago. I had zero feeing on the outside of finger from the cut out to the tip. My doctors told me it would take years for feeling and sensation to return. They were right, but it did ultimately return without any nerve surgery.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I cut the outside of the pinky on my right hand pretty badly decades ago. I had zero feeing on the outside of finger from the cut out to the tip. My doctors told me it would take years for feeling and sensation to return. They were right, but it did ultimately return without any nerve surgery.
Good to hear. The cut is taking forever to heal. I made a mistake and started exercising a little too vigorously a week ago and it opened up again. It seems any time I straighten my finger out or, God forbid, bend it backward, the cut opens again. I just have to take it easy until it's completely healed. Fook.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
i should ask about that on my next full knee replacement surgery (left). When they cut off my right knee to attach the titanium replacement they warned me that my nerves may never rejoin fully after being severed like that. It been like 4-5 years now and I still have no feeling on my shin from the knee halfway down my calf. Kind of sucks cause I always get these nicks especially when weed wacking the yard in slippers and with my blood thinners for my stent i usually don't notice it till there's blood dripping everywhere. Kind of gross to others, but I don't feel anything. Unfortunately it's probably something Kaiser doesn't support.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Well, my finger's cut has finally healed... after 2 months.:foreheadslap: It opened up right after they took the stitches out (too early IMO). And two weeks later when I tried exercising it opened again. I guess opening my hand and bending the wrist back put too much tension on it. Now it looks healed so I will try surfing this weekend.

It is still numb, but numb is really not the right word. In one way, it is hyper sensitive. The tip of my finger and all along the side and on the scar it is sensitive. it's an unpleasant, annoying sensation, but maybe not pain? If that is what your foot is like Otto, or your shin Oneula, I feel for you.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
it's an unpleasant, annoying sensation, but maybe not pain?
Yes. I have get up in the night and walk around for a minute to try to decrease this feeling. Sometimes I can get it to stop by massaging my leg or abdomen.

I try to sleep through it, but sometimes, I have to get up.

It's not as bad as it was.

But it's still annoying.

Sometimes it's really bad and I want to freak out. But then I use my will of steel to self regulate.

Sincerely,

Autoprax

:roflmao: