Nerve damage to shoulder

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
test
Anyway a couple of dumbbell exercises that I have been doing is overhead press stopping when the dumbbells reach face level, hold 3 seconds, then full press another hold, down to face level hold 3 seconds, then down to sides. What do you reckon? Physio showed me with thumbs pointing towards my face, no forearm external rotation or anything.

Another one - bent dumbbell rows, pull up, hold 3 seconds and down. Any thoughts extra suggestions, my physio is definitely open to me doing extra stuff.
10-20 rep range, slowly add sets and reps and see how you feel. Pause at the top, slow the eccentric (negative).

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
On a positive note, I am now back on surfboar, sort of - I yolo'd a foamie. My excuse was that something that sits nice and high out of the water would help me lift my arm out of the water at the end of the paddle stroke with reduced rear deltoid power. The reality is that I am now paddling completely normally. It was a bargain, on sale for $250 including delivery, a price reduction of $100. Ordered on a weekend, delivered on wednesday to regional Vic and surfed that day - instant gratification, YOLO.

A whopping 35L, 4' 8" - the Mullet Fat Cat, 21 3/4" wide. Performs as expected - no drive, plenty of straight line glide and speed on the right wave. Tiny little flexible fins, so steers easily. I'm happy with it. I'm still doing some standup white water boog when its dumping. Born again beginner. I like the Fat Cat, it keeps my performance expectations low and I don't get frustrated. I can even catch white water waves with its door rocker to get plenty of pop practice. I have had some good ones on it though.

I have lost some of that take off timing that I used to have due to being out of the water for so long, I suppose I'm feeling a bit nervous of getting hurt again which makes me hesitate. But I am in fairly decent shape from all the elastic band, exercise ball planking and yoga I've been doing, so getting the hours in the water isn't a problem.

NewFoamie.jpg

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
test

10-20 rep range, slowly add sets and reps and see how you feel. Pause at the top, slow the eccentric (negative).
cheers, I did these today. I was doing the count of 3 pause at the top and slowly lower. I know that does the rear delts coz when my front and side delts had recovered, but my rear delt still paralysed I could stand with my arms straight out to my sides easily, but if I bent over at the waist like that exercise my left arm used to collapse down to 45 degrees extension just under the weight of my arm.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I realised today that I am no longer conscious of how I put on a coat, before I used to be aware of how I thread my arm thru the sleeve. Not thinking about how to move arm when paddling my foamie boar either. Two days ago I woke up with front deltoid in a spasm which is a reminder that I am still recovering. When I gave myself an outward rotation against an elastic I think there is only 80% strength compared to my right arm, other motions are similar strength. Rear deltoid feels fully woken up and isn't going thru that muscle spasm nerve malfunction situation my front/side delts went thru, so is handling the dumbbell exercise suggested by PRCD - only using 1.5 kg weights.

Going to Melbourne in a few days for a week for another appointment with the physio a follow up appointment with the surgeon and I'll take the opportunity to visit the work office too.

Still on my YOLO foamie. I am duckdiving it by kneeling on it, this is how I used to duckdive a Donald Takayama 7' 10" egg I used to own 15 years ago.

Had 2 of the most fun sessions on it yesterday arvo and this arvo - high tide reforms, many of which were white water takeoffs backing off into the inner break and backwash bumps which I could do little straight line ollie hops over. Interesting boar, quite satisfying to get it into a fast backhand line, but a tendency to slide out on backhand angled takeoffs - the fins are flexible. Has a dead flat planing surface with a channel/slot which runs almost the full length down the centre. I fell flat on my back on one wave because it stuck to the surface without banking a rail. I think it will always have a place for those days when its big and dumping on the outside and I can catch white water and reforms on the inside and ride it all the way to the beach.

Put the tape measure on it today. Fins 5 1/4" from tail. Tail width 18 3/8". I don't have a convenient rocker stick anymore, so I used a verandah post against a pen mark I made at the mid point. Just under 2" of nose rocker and 1 1/8" tail rocker at 4' 8" length and 21 3/4" width.

IMG_3711.jpgIMG_3717.jpgIMG_3713.jpgIMG_3712.jpgIMG_3715.jpgFoamie.JPG

Attachments

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
"Born Again Beginner." :roflmao:

I can relate. When my back went haywire I was out for about 6 months and then for the next year I was a BAB. I remember being jealous of beginners on Wavestorms popping up faster than I could. I will still have moments when my brain interferes and makes me think of "injury" again but it is usually a lapse that lasts one wave. Then I tell myself I'm fine and grunt myself into the next wave with determination.

Keep up the training and remember, for us sklinny guys, sarcopenia is real and we need to work on strength.

Reactions: Mr J and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I can relate. When my back went haywire I was out for about 6 months and then for the next year I was a BAB. I remember being jealous of beginners on Wavestorms popping up faster than I could. I will still have moments when my brain interferes and makes me think of "injury" again but it is usually a lapse that lasts one wave. Then I tell myself I'm fine and grunt myself into the next wave with determination.

Keep up the training and remember, for us sklinny guys, sarcopenia is real and we need to work on strength.
Cognitive behavior therapists like to say that the mind has a mind of its own - that it thinks thoughts that you consciously do not want whether you want it to or not. This especially applies in chronic pain. Chronic pain is a learned behavior - the dark side of neuroplasticity if you will.

Reactions: One-Off

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Cognitive behavior therapists like to say that the mind has a mind of its own - that it thinks thoughts that you consciously do not want whether you want it to or not. This especially applies in chronic pain. Chronic pain is a learned behavior - the dark side of neuroplasticity if you will.
Are the muscle spasms I have been experiencing in my front and side delts an example of what you call the "dark side of neuroplasticity"? As I described earlier, in this thread initially there was no pain about a week after my accident (provided I didn't try and move my arm). At that stage my shoulder muscles were paralysed. Then after a few weeks when some very weak motor function started to return they went into a painful spasm, particularly at night when I was sleeping - used to wake up in pain.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia

I've been in waist and chest deep water catching the whitewater on my boog and foamie, I'm not a complete noob, but really that literally puts me alongside the beginners on their foamies - we don't get the Wavestorm brand here, but there are plenty of alternatives - such as my Mullet which have a beginner range under the "Softlite" brand.

I'm going to wait until I see the surgeon before trying my fibreglass surfboard. My shoulder has stopped doing random clicks, but I'd like to see what the surgeon reckons about the HAGL injury - he said it can "scar up" thus avoiding surgery. Provided things don't go pear shaped from another dislocation I can't imagine that surgery is going to be needed (nor do I want it).

I'm skinny, low body fat and small bones - 5' 7" tall with wrist circumference just under 6 1/4" which makes me small boned according to some sources. My bone density last time it was measured was low, a doc thought I had a mild case of genetic condition due to the whites of my eyes having a bluish tinge. Considering some of the hard slams I have had on my skateboard where I have walked away with no fractures it would be mild.

According to ChatGpt the best exercises for strong bones are:
  • Weight-bearing exercises such as walking, jogging, hiking, dancing, stair climbing, tennis, and basketball.
  • Resistance training such as weight lifting or using resistance bands.
  • Balance exercises such as tai chi or yoga
I wonder if the walking around with 3KG dumbbells I do every day for my scapular control exercise counts? I'm also doing a lot of squatting on my standup boog and mini simmons foamie to get rides to the beach in the whitewater - it tires my quads and glutes, but now that I am going in a lot I'm having trouble fitting in the dumbbell squats and lunges I was doing, because that's just too much for my muscles to handle. One plus of the white water surfing is that I do heaps of pop ups in a session.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I've been in waist and chest deep water catching the whitewater on my boog and foamie, I'm not a complete noob, but really that literally puts me alongside the beginners on their foamies - we don't get the Wavestorm brand here, but there are plenty of alternatives - such as my Mullet which have a beginner range under the "Softlite" brand.

I'm going to wait until I see the surgeon before trying my fibreglass surfboard. My shoulder has stopped doing random clicks, but I'd like to see what the surgeon reckons about the HAGL injury - he said it can "scar up" thus avoiding surgery. Provided things don't go pear shaped from another dislocation I can't imagine that surgery is going to be needed (nor do I want it).

I'm skinny, low body fat and small bones - 5' 7" tall with wrist circumference just under 6 1/4" which makes me small boned according to some sources. My bone density last time it was measured was low, a doc thought I had a mild case of genetic condition due to the whites of my eyes having a bluish tinge. Considering some of the hard slams I have had on my skateboard where I have walked away with no fractures it would be mild.

• Weight-bearing exercises such as walking, jogging, hiking, dancing, stair climbing, tennis, and basketball.
I wonder if the walking around with 3KG dumbbells I do every day for my scapular control exercise counts? I'm also doing a lot of squatting on my standup boog and mini simmons foamie to get rides to the beach in the whitewater - it tires my quads and glutes, but now that I am going in a lot I'm having trouble fitting in the dumbbell squats and lunges I was doing, because that's just too much for my muscles to handle. One plus of the white water surfing is that I do heaps of pop ups in a session.
If you challenge ChatGPT you get past the human programming and into the weeds, causing it to actually search for information.

I apologize for the confusion caused in my previous responses. Upon reviewing the available research, it appears that the forces exerted on bones during walking compared to simply standing may not necessarily be significantly greater. The distinction in impact forces between these activities is likely minimal.

According to chatGPT, if you only have two options to increase bone density..walking or just standing...neither is better than the other.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
My son decided that he wanted to start strength training. Once the warm up sets begin to get heavy he starts yawning and it continues through the work out. Once we are close to the end it stops. I've seen this before with other trainees and it stops around the 4-6 week mark. The brain is really good at giving you impulses to stop when it gets out of its comfort zone due to illness, injury or exertion. The inner bitch is strong if you let it be. Squats and deadlifts are really good at teaching your brain to do hard things...in my personal experience and others who I have personal experience with, this carries over to pain recovery.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Are the muscle spasms I have been experiencing in my front and side delts an example of what you call the "dark side of neuroplasticity"? As I described earlier, in this thread initially there was no pain about a week after my accident (provided I didn't try and move my arm). At that stage my shoulder muscles were paralysed. Then after a few weeks when some very weak motor function started to return they went into a painful spasm, particularly at night when I was sleeping - used to wake up in pain.
This depends on the tissues in question, but the largest bone in your body heals in about 12 weeks. In the acute phase, tissues legitimately need time to heal but they often heal better with gradual exposure to movement. After that you're in the chronic phase where the pain is a learned response.

You're better off consulting the stars or the organs from the morning sacrifices.

My son decided that he wanted to start strength training. Once the warm up sets begin to get heavy he starts yawning and it continues through the work out. Once we are close to the end it stops. I've seen this before with other trainees and it stops around the 4-6 week mark. The brain is really good at giving you impulses to stop when it gets out of its comfort zone due to illness, injury or exertion. The inner bitch is strong if you let it be. Squats and deadlifts are really good at teaching your brain to do hard things...in my personal experience and others who I have personal experience with, this carries over to pain recovery.
Yeah. My brain's strategy is pain. I have some stupid groin strain that I know is nothing because I can move it fine in other contexts. I often have to threaten my mind with blowing my brains out like this:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I learned how to lift; then I could do college.

I remember thinking, this is like doing a hard set of squats but with your brain.

I think with beginners it's good not to smoke them.

Keep it fun.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
... Active men have a lot of trouble slowing down and tend to not let things heal.
yes, my folly was believing I could carry on skateboarding without risking some life changing accident.

Saw the surgeon earlier this week. There is no justification for surgery given my present function and age. Only if my arm dislocates again doing something like say swimming would it be performed. Hopefully its stable enough - a HAGL injury can "scar up" and stabilise that way according to the surgeon. It doesn't have any particular symptoms (other that instability) he tells me when I asked. I'm surfing a fair bit now and doing less of the rehab because of that, but still doing some on surfing days and keeping it up on the non surfing days.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
yes, my folly was believing I could carry on skateboarding without risking some life changing accident.

Saw the surgeon earlier this week. There is no justification for surgery given my present function and age. Only if my arm dislocates again doing something like say swimming would it be performed. Hopefully its stable enough - a HAGL injury can "scar up" and stabilise that way according to the surgeon. It doesn't have any particular symptoms (other that instability) he tells me when I asked. I'm surfing a fair bit now and doing less of the rehab because of that, but still doing some on surfing days and keeping it up on the non surfing days.
Skateboards and dirtbikes are not for us old guys. It's hard to swallow but it's true.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Skateboards and dirtbikes are not for us old guys. It's hard to swallow but it's true.
I think you mean falling off of skateboards and dirt bikes are not for us old guys. This doesn’t seem too taxing on the body but requires a healthy dose of y.o.m.i.s. (young man’s immortality syndrome)-

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I think you mean falling off of skateboards and dirt bikes are not for us old guys. This doesn’t seem too taxing on the body but requires a healthy dose of y.o.m.i.s. (young man’s immortality syndrome)-
... .
I enjoy watching the late Josh Neuman's fantastic "raw runs" on youtube. The camera car following gets close up views of his awesome toeside check slides as he hurtles down the mountains. He didn't die skateboarding.

About 3 weeks prior to my accident, I had carved around a bowled corner in the park at speed and ran out on to the flat where I did what was a routine for me and relatively low difficulty "trick", well its not even a trick - a heelside check slide. Kick the tail out into a back wheel skid and lean back while the angled board provides some rear truck braking. Except this time I wasn't aggressive enough with the rear tail kick out - the wheels did not slide, but I went into the reflex lean back - result was board shot out in front of me. The next thing that happened was that my reflexes did the right thing - I spread my arms out, straightened my legs and fell flat on my back trying to put as much body surface area down simultaneously as possible. It was hard to know where the pain was coming when I stood up, even the next day, although I was hurting all over my rib cage, some of my upper spine and rear right pelvis felt badly bruised (although not discolored).

My neighbour who was with me enquired the next day how I was doing and I told him that just walking was painful and I think it was going to be at least weeks before I would be back surfing/skateboarding. The recovery was remarkably quick - within 8 days I was back on my standup boog, my right rear rib-cage was hurting but clearly not fractured. Some nerve thing must have been going on because my chest stung when I took a shower, but nothing drastic. Completely fine within a few weeks. Instead of being a warning it gave me a feeling of YOMIS due to the swift recovery.

My dislocation accident was a nightmare - the ambulance ride. They were going to give me morphine for 1hr trip to the regional hospital, but I told them it made me nauseous, which I knew from a bicycle accident a long time ago. So they injected me fentanyl and after a short time asked how the pain levels were on a 1-10 scale, I truthfully told them 9 and they gave some more - this seemed to repeat a number of times - the explanation was that although it has less nausea side effects the fentanyl doesn't last long. At the hospital I remember taking large gulps of laughing gas prior to the "reduction". In the weeks that followed I was dealing with the grim possibility of not being able to surf again due to the paralysis.

Since the nerve regeneration I've had some thoughts of maybe just some flat ground skateboarding, maybe just some surfskate drills will be alright, but I push those thoughts away - I've finished with the urethane. I'm with VonMeister - its hard to swallow after having enjoyed it for so many years, but those toys are not for us old blokes.

• Sad

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I had an interesting appointment with the shoulder physio yesterday. He had got me to press all in one movement in a previous appointment a few weeks ago, instead of stopping head height. I had misunderstood the instructions for building up the weight with the dumbbells and was starting to go heavy (for me). He told me not to, with the heavy press I must stop head height, however I should continue to do the full overhead press with light dumbbells and focus on the "correct" collar bone movement he wanted me to do. I asked why and he told me "because you are not 20 anymore". Its going to fray my supraspinatus he said and it will eventually tear. He wanted me to put a fair amount of exertion into the external elastic resistance rotation. He even gave me a strength test with a meter to compare my external rotation strength with my good side and told me to rotate outwards as hard as I could.

I trust him, but inquisitively noted that because the external rotation exercise was done with my upper arm down, but held a little way from my body (and not supported with a rolled up towel like another lying on side dumbbell rotation exercise), then that would load up my supraspinatus too (even though the supraspinatus is not an external rotator). He said, yes it does, but the difference is with the arm down by the side the supraspinatus is extended, the problem with the fully extended overhead press is that the supraspinatus is contracted and gets pinched by ... (some stuff I didn't understand)".

He said unless there is a good reason, no one over 40 should be doing heavy fully extended overhead presses.This is why some people who have never had an accident, but have say jobs which involve a lot of overhead lifting end up with supraspinatus rotator cuff tears.

The prescribed dumbbell bent rows are meant to be built up heavy and the frequency reduced. Same with dumbbell shoulder shrugs.