Need to Buy 2 Indestructible Boards: What do You Choose?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I live in Indo, the land of surf. You can buy almost anything here except uber, ultra-high quality boards. I'm coming back to America for a visit in April and I want to pick up 2 boards, a HPSB and a Step Up that will as close to unbreakable as it's possible to get. I've narrowed it down to three choices, each with their own pluses and minuses. If you're in my position, and budget is no concern, what do you pick?

XTR

+ Cheapest option, and great longevity reviews. Huge selection
- Some Quality control issues (according to reviews from this forum). Since I'll be having these shipped, can't check them myself when they arrive. By the time I can check them, if there are any issues may not be enough time to get something else ordered

Gary McNeill Ecotech TreeTech GreenTech EnviroTech WhateverTech recycled foam boards

+ Freaking beautiful, excellent reviews, admirable shaper
- Tons of beautiful alternative shapes, not many conventional shapes. Would basically mean buying two Entities. A normal entity, and an entity pin. Cool sure, but who wants to own two of the same board?

Dark Arts

+ All the reviews claim excellent craftsmanship. Nearly unbreakable, massive longevity, insanely sexy
- Uber fucking expensive. Some complaints about stiffness of boards, not clear that a Dark Arts step up is good for DOH+?

Given the pluses and minuses, and given the #1 priority of simply buying an unbreakable set of boards for assfuck Indo, what would you do if you're me?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
D. For what you’re looking for - stretch.
It's funny, I was actually thinking about that. Those gutter rails...

I've never owned a Stretch board in my life though. If I want to get a good wave shorty and a step up, what models would you go with?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Drew can do this even better

His Carbon /S glass over a light PU blank would be as durable as is gets .

Somewhere around 800.00
That's the Black Dart construction that you mean right?

It seems like a great middle ground where it's still got flex but it's also very strong. And they're freaking beautiful, that helps too

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Lib Tech Sabo Taj might be out by April. Not in approved tech but that would be my first pick of builds for durability.
I'm not super keen on Lib Tech. It looks sorta, funky. I guess.

This Black Dart stuff looks really cool though, I might go with that.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm not super keen on Lib Tech. It looks sorta, funky. I guess.

This Black Dart stuff looks really cool though, I might go with that.
I love my Black Dart Bean Bag and I'd definitely consider that build for grovel/small wave shapes. Would not be my first pick for step up construction; I want to say Matt/Lost has been pretty clear on do NOT let those things bake, and from what I know of third world "travel" aka 1-2 week gringo missions, sooner or later your sh!t is going to cook a little. I haven't had an issue with lib tech; left one in a windows barely cracked white van in El Salvador and it did not turn into a limp noodle or expand/explode or anything. Not saying I advise carelessness with the construction, but I don't leave my Black Dart in the car very often, and I always have windows cracked, sun shades, etc. to keep sunlight off that board.

If you order custom Black Darts, especially for a hot/sunny zone, do yourself a favor and pick the lightest color options.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I love my Black Dart Bean Bag and I'd definitely consider that build for grovel/small wave shapes. Would not be my first pick for step up construction; I want to say Matt/Lost has been pretty clear on do NOT let those things bake, and from what I know of third world "travel" aka 1-2 week gringo missions, sooner or later your sh!t is going to cook a little. I haven't had an issue with lib tech; left one in a windows barely cracked white van in El Salvador and it did not turn into a limp noodle or expand/explode or anything. Not saying I advise carelessness with the construction, but I don't leave my Black Dart in the car very often, and I always have windows cracked, sun shades, etc. to keep sunlight off that board.

If you order custom Black Darts, especially for a hot/sunny zone, do yourself a favor and pick the lightest color options.
Thanks for the info! If I get one I will have it tinted a light color.

And I was thinking maybe the HBSP in Black Dart and then get a Stretch for the step up.

What about pressure dents, does the Black Dart hold up noticeably better than the average board?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thanks for the info! If I get one I will have it tinted a light color.

And I was thinking maybe the HBSP in Black Dart and then get a Stretch for the step up.

What about pressure dents, does the Black Dart hold up noticeably better than the average board?
I will assume average board = 4+4/4 E-glass poly, and answer emphatically yes, it holds up noticeably better on denting and dinging.