Need Essentials Fins

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Have a new board with Futures boxes and with 2 sets of Futures quads I have tried one of the rear quad boxes won't allow the front of the fin to go in flush. However with 2 different sets of Shapers Australia fins the fin in the problem box will go in flush, no problem. Weird.

Jul 29, 2018
Have a new board with Futures boxes and with 2 sets of Futures quads I have tried one of the rear quad boxes won't allow the front of the fin to go in flush. However with 2 different sets of Shapers Australia fins the fin in the problem box will go in flush, no problem. Weird.
I have had new boards with a little left over resin Spots in the box that has prevented the fin going flush. A bit of scraping with a screwdriver or even fin key usually solves the problem.

Reactions: Retropete

btesser

OTF status
Jul 18, 2005
LA
Visit site
They got a couple twins and a thruster - $70 each set - no logos.
Designed and tested by Torryn Martin and Laurie Towner.
I have no affiliation, just thought they look cool.

Any ride reports on these fins? The mediums at (H: 5.5/B: 5.11) have similar dimensions to the True Ames TA Twin (H: 5.55/B: 5.12), but appear to have more rake. I prefer a bit more rake in my twin fins. Most of the twin fins are very upright.

The CF Tyler Warren Especial (H: 5.51/B: 5.2/A: 21.31 - and nicely raked) is my favorite twin fin so far, after riding many, including the CF Twin fin (too small), NVS Surf Prescriptions Tall Boy Twin (too big) and TA Twin (my second favorite -- this is a good fin too).

Looking for another fin similar to the Tyler Warren Especial. I like having options.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
As it turns out, The TM is almost identical to the TA. It has just a little more rake. But all in all, very similar. Perhaps the TM will be the ticket. With swell on the way here, hopefully I will get a chance to find out.
Did you lay the TM and TA on top of each other and get a pic?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
maybe the colors are deceiving, but the blue n white TW looks more similar template to the black Needs TM than the clear TA... Just me?

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I have a comp leash from them that feels good and solid. Ordered a couple step up leashes.
I think the majority of leashes use COL’s swivel, so most are pretty good as long as the fastening system stays closed, you’re golden. I haven’t broken a leash in over a decade, but I have a bunch of FCS ones where the edges of the nylon/Velcro are fraying. I have an early COL Ultralight comp that I finally had to “gift” to a grom who broke their leash. It would come undone if the wind switched or I thought about paddling for a wave.

Reactions: JDJ

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I think the majority of leashes use COL’s swivel, so most are pretty good as long as the fastening system stays closed, you’re golden. I haven’t broken a leash in over a decade, but I have a bunch of FCS ones where the edges of the nylon/Velcro are fraying. I have an early COL Ultralight comp that I finally had to “gift” to a grom who broke their leash. It would come undone if the wind switched or I thought about paddling for a wave.

I should look further in the bucket of surf sh!t in the garage. I have one that I've used for 5 years. I took it off to get some dings fixed and now I can't find where I put it. I grabbed the first one I found at it's pretty bad. The velcro on the leash string end is melted or full of melted wax. It worked for the micro morning I surfed last week (And I realized there was a knot in it), but it looks like it's waiting to fail.

There is at least one other leash in there, but I think it's a thick 8-9 footer. Da Kine had some JJF leashes on sale now that he's jumped ship. And unless I came up on a freebie, I can't imagine finding one for cheaper than $14. And usually the freebies are some awful color.

currently considering filling the cart with a tin of sunscreen, couple leashes, and a balaclava. But I might wait until after the holidays. Is their sunscreen super tinted or just a little?

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr