Neck pain

helpless

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 24, 2002
NJ
Every time i am out surfing for more than 2 or 3 hours, my neck starts to ache. Are there any stretches i can do that might keep this from happening? its really a pain in the... uh... neck to have to paddle in after only 3 hours of surfing.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Neck pain from surfing might be from a cervical spine problem that could be dealt with through exercise or stretching. However, your problem sounds like its related to the way you are paddling or holding your head during your surf sessions. An insightful surfer would pay attention to these minor details and try to change their style. If no better, get to your local surf doc!

Darryl

OTF status
Apr 22, 2002
41°22'N 71°29'W (+/-)
keeping your head down when paddling helps alleviate this for me. You can turn your head sideways sometimes to see where your going instead of always tilting your head back.

blakestah

Phil Edwards status
Sep 10, 2002
I second what Daryl said.

Every older surfer gets neck problems if he insists on keeping his head raised while paddling. Anytime you are taking more than 2-3 paddle strokes, look straight down at your board, and let your neck stay aligned with your spine. Even a little helps a lot.

Jan 15, 2003
Hi,
I have heard it said that the pain we feel in the back of our necks and in our shoulders during surfing is not from the muscels there but from nerves that run through holes in the spine. When we tilt our heads back, while in the water, these holes get smaller and perhaps irritate these nerves. The discs which seperate the bones of the spine can get thinner and cause the holes to get smaller even still perhaps. Motrin is supposed to be good for this irritation. Remember (I ain't no doc) so this is just some stuff I've heard. If you don't get pain for a couple, three hours and it's just your neck it dosen't seem to bad.
I've always thought it was great to paddle hard and long distances; that it would keep me in good shape. I didn't relize it might be goofing me up. Check out this website, www.espineinstitute.com, and Dr. Kroph, he's pretty cool.
R.F.