Neal's Images of the Day

May 25, 2020
Rather than author many pages of surf/photo sessions, here is one thread where I'll try and publish a surf image a day. Hope you like!

Glass Cylinder, Sandy Beach, 5/26/13. Went to shoot with low expectations. Surf has been pounding at Sandys but the swell is gone and the winds are up. Still managed to snag a few nuggets, including this glassy beaut. Shameless excessive Photoshop enhancements make this photo art.

Sandy's is like San Fran in 1849, always great nuggets to be found

Reactions: sponge

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
The "red right return" is a nautical term used to indicate the "right side of a channel marker" to a harbors entrance. Years before, the "Pole" was flat and on "Pole Set Days," a single surfer was able to sit or stand on the pole and take off from that position, indicating that surf was huge or in the 8 - 12 foot range (depending on the tides) with a big south swell push and this was before, Magic Island was built.
The channel marker has changed shapes over the years yet always remained red and always the indicator for those special, Pole Set days.

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Thanks Neal.
Can't tell cause the glare but that looks like a different board from the earlier picture, which may be a Kerry Tokoro HIC. But I'm guessing and probably wrong....haha. Here's to some more swells coming your way. Waiting for the 16th but more so for a special delivery..