Nazare Accident

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Another Nazare accident. CJ Macias broke his arm on this wipeout. Cotty on rescue ski.

“CJ’s wave was the most impressive thing that I saw today,” says Helio Antonio, who saw every moment. “It was crazy — a big vertical drop all the way down on a huge A-frame peak. But he couldn’t escape it. He got caught and got tumbled.””The whole thing was traumatic,” adds Andrew Cotton. “He went down, and no one could see him. He just disappeared. Alamao, Garret and I were on the safety ski and couldn’t see him. He was first sighted from the beach on the third peak. We went to him and he couldn’t swim. We could see that he’d snapped his arm. He was in shock and in a lot of pain when we got him in. It was heavy, but he was good. He wasn’t drowning. He’s gone to the hospital and we’re waiting to hear back.”

Monster crossup wedges

• Wow
Reactions: Hump

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Surfing Nazare is like boxing Jake Paul

Too bad Shane Dorian got hurt out there. Oh wait, it was Mark Healy. No, I mean, it was Billy Kemper. Oops, meant to say Greg Long of course. Nope, I was wrong, it was someone no one had ever heard of, just like every other time. Whatever happened to that Brazilian chick, did she take up roller derby instead?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Surfing Nazare is like boxing Jake Paul

Too bad Shane Dorian got hurt out there. Oh wait, it was Mark Healy. No, I mean, it was Billy Kemper. Oops, meant to say Greg Long of course. Nope, I was wrong, it was someone no one had ever heard of, just like every other time. Whatever happened to that Brazilian chick, did she take up roller derby instead?
Remember Gmac led the charge to Nazare bc he couldn't make waves/money anywhere else. That Maya chick is the female Gmac equivalent. I bet the other big wave guys are glad none of these fame-hungry Vlogclowns are surfing the real spots anymore.

Reactions: stringcheese

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
GMac is 54 years old. I doubt we'll see much more from him in the big wave arena. The og big wave crew is fading fast and the new generation of Kai Lenny and company are stepping up to fill the void.

Maya from last year. She doesn't have the core and leg strength to handle the speed and chop out there but she still does better than I would do in tow waves of that size. :oops:

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
A lot of the people I've known have said Nazare is mushy, will under the same breath say Blacks is heavy. Nazare is essentially an oversized version of Blacks which makes them sound clueless.

RCJ almost died out there on a medium day. A lot of close calls during the BWWT events held there by well known surfers.

I don't get the logic here. You had 2 of the best big wave surfers to ever live (Sion and Mark) die at Mavericks. By your definitions of who is qualified to surf big waves, neither one should have been out there.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Remember Gmac led the charge to Nazare bc he couldn't make waves/money anywhere else. That Maya chick is the female Gmac equivalent. I bet the other big wave guys are glad none of these fame-hungry Vlogclowns are surfing the real spots anymore.
So does Koa, JOB, Eli, and other Northshore surfers qualify as "fame hungry VLOG clowns" for exploiting Pipe? I always thought Pipe was a real spot.

Or does this only count for people that surf Nazare? Is Nic Von Rupp a "VLOG clown?"

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Probably not the best idea to go right there, puts you in a very bad spot.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A lot of the people I've known have said Nazare is mushy, will under the same breath say Blacks is heavy. Nazare is essentially an oversized version of Blacks which makes them sound clueless.

RCJ almost died out there on a medium day. A lot of close calls during the BWWT events held there by well known surfers.

I don't get the logic here. You had 2 of the best big wave surfers to ever live (Sion and Mark) die at Mavericks. By your definitions of who is qualified to surf big waves, neither one should have been out there.

It's kind of a shitty wave. That's the logic. All the other big waves are better, and a lot of the people that surf nazare don't surf the other spots.
It's still heavy and crazy, it's just not very good.

Reactions: CutnSnip

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
GMac is 54 years old. I doubt we'll see much more from him in the big wave arena. The og big wave crew is fading fast and the new generation of Kai Lenny and company are stepping up to fill the void.

Maya from last year. She doesn't have the core and leg strength to handle the speed and chop out there but she still does better than I would do in tow waves of that size. :oops:

Funny is she can barely surf a normal wave but is out on the biggest waves on the planet, why is she not paddling jaws :roflmao:

seen her surfing around the NS and it's evident why she's had to get rescued numerous times. Laird spitting truth telling her she's a danger to herself and others

Reactions: Chocki

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
It's kind of a shitty wave. That's the logic. All the other big waves are better, and a lot of the people that surf nazare don't surf the other spots.
It's still heavy and crazy, it's just not very good.
It's not though. It's legitimately not a shitty wave. Guys get barreled out there from 2-70 foot. What other places on the planet have that barrel potential?

Jaws isn't a perfect barrel everytime. Pinches on a lot of them. So does Mavs. Cortez doesn't barrel very much.

Alex Botelho(think that's how you spell his name), Nic Von Rupp, Chumbo, Justine Depont, and others have all surfed and stood out at Jaws and Mavericks.

A lot of the Jaws and Mavs guys have never been to Nazare either. Not everyone has the cash flow to travel across the globe for a swell.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's not though. It's legitimately not a shitty wave. Guys get barreled out there from 2-70 foot. What other places on the planet have that barrel potential?

Jaws isn't a perfect barrel everytime. Pinches on a lot of them. So does Mavs. Cortez doesn't barrel very much.

Alex Botelho(think that's how you spell his name), Nic Von Rupp, Chumbo, Justine Depont, and others have all surfed and stood out at Jaws and Mavericks.

A lot of the Jaws and Mavs guys have never been to Nazare either. Not everyone has the cash flow to travel across the globe for a swell.
Nah, mush burger that goes from wedge to shoulder without a real drop

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
I disagree

Go to 4:01. Like all canyon beachbreaks, you have a variety of wave shapes that shift based on tide and refraction.

Dec 27, 2020
Damn that Andrew Cotton rock swim was gnarly but in the end it looks like the current pushed him to the right spot. At about 2:28 you could see a boat going outside in looked to be a pretty safe zone which is where the inshore flow was probably headed. Still being around those rocks with the surge must've been a freaking horror show.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've heard Shane Dorian, Greg Long, and Kai Lenny all say that Nazare is one of the heaviest big waves to surf.

I'll take their word for it over the erBB 'chargers'.

Doesn't mean its fun to watch. It's not.

Jaws on the other hand is a spectacle.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
So does Koa, JOB, Eli, and other Northshore surfers qualify as "fame hungry VLOG clowns" for exploiting Pipe? I always thought Pipe was a real spot.

Or does this only count for people that surf Nazare? Is Nic Von Rupp a "VLOG clown?"
Yes. Correct on all counts. Although I like Nathan's and NVR's.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Another Nazare accident. CJ Macias broke his arm on this wipeout. Cotty on rescue ski.

“CJ’s wave was the most impressive thing that I saw today,” says Helio Antonio, who saw every moment.

Is that Garrets Brother in Law? Dude seemed a bit of an overconfident loon in the 100 foot wave show.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I think this is CJ's wipeout. Check out how big the playing field is. Massive amount of energy moving through the lineup. Crowd cheering. Quite the arena.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008

TBH, I think Black's is pretty much overhyped too. Definitely not the best wave in the area.