NASA SpaceX Launch live link

Oct 13, 2019
CenCoast
With all this next level tech why don't they show a pulled back camera angle of the drone landing ship? or a Drone shot from distance?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Is it only me that’s wondering why we’re supposed to be creaming ourselves because a private company (led by a South African) did what NASA did 59yrs ago?
Yeah, it's ridiculous.

It's literally the 60s all over again, Pence talking up the American Dream right now. Gotta remind everyone.

Edit: Pence actually mentioned just now space flight and civil unrest and harkened back to the 1960s as a time we came together. It's like they know that we know that the American Dream is dead but grasp at straws. They knew it never existed.

Last edited:
Reactions: $kully

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Is it only me that’s wondering why we’re supposed to be creaming ourselves because a private company did what NASA did 59yrs ago?
Yuuuuup!
We aren't going to live on Mars or even the Moon.
Without having to figure out how humans can live long-term w/o or mimicking gravity, we'll NEVER live in outer space.
I guess if becoming a jellyfish without a spine (kinda like Cheeto))... sorry, had to throw that one in.
We as humans will never survive outside of our Mother Earth. Oh, I forgot, we also need something called OXYGEN to live.
Let's spend the $$ to save our planet.
IMO, by the time we have the tech to go to another planet, we will have already killed ourselves by over population/pandemics/starvation/global warming, etc.
Good luck all! $hit is getting real as I type. LA is starting to look like Rodney King time.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
We were camping down in Big Sur two years ago in early October. Kirk Creek. Late afternoon, clear and calm. There had been an early full moon rising so we saw this bright light through the tress to the south. Thought it was the moon coming up. Then we realized it was moving way too fast. Space X launch out of Vandenberg. We watched that thing go up, do the first stage separation and saw the 2nd stage kick in. Didn't actually know what it was until we talked to some locals the next morning. That was cool...

Reactions: Kaido and Kento

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
We were camping down in Big Sur two years ago in early October. Kirk Creek. Late afternoon, clear and calm. There had been an early full moon rising so we saw this bright light through the tress to the south. Thought it was the moon coming up. Then we realized it was moving way too fast. Space X launch out of Vandenberg. We watched that thing go up, do the first stage separation and saw the 2nd stage kick in. Didn't actually know what it was until we talked to some locals the next morning. That was cool...
You can see them from down here if the weather is right.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Is it only me that’s wondering why we’re supposed to be creaming ourselves because a private company did what NASA did 59yrs ago?
The space station wasn't there 59 years ago. The technology blows away what NASA has done at a fraction of the cost, the rockets are multi-use, the list goes on. I think part of it is also eventual commercial space travel that Russia has done, which could be crazy lucrative. Also, there's stuff up there that robots can't do, and it's a step towards whatever the next breakthrough might be. I think it's neat-o.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Almost completely analog technology. Computing power = to an Apple +. Slide rules and HP pocket calculators. Pretty freakin impressive. And it worked. Multiple times.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Yuuuuup!
We aren't going to live on Mars or even the Moon.
Without having to figure out how humans can live long-term w/o or mimicking gravity, we'll NEVER live in outer space.
I guess if becoming a jellyfish without a spine (kinda like Cheeto))... sorry, had to throw that one in.
We as humans will never survive outside of our Mother Earth. Oh, I forgot, we also need something called OXYGEN to live.
Let's spend the $$ to save our planet.
IMO, by the time we have the tech to go to another planet, we will have already killed ourselves by over population/pandemics/starvation/global warming, etc.
Good luck all! $hit is getting real as I type. LA is starting to look like Rodney King time.
$60,000,000. per day is what NASA gets of our tax dollars....my money....your money.
Totally agree...we have the $$ to fix or at least greatly help the world's problems....help people....easily.....but we don't.
Big clue stand right there.....something wrong with this place.
Nice fireworks display....that's about it.

BTW....just for kicks....the two different views of the second stage burn....one shows a convex edge of the earth....the other shows a flat to concave edge or horizon.....clearly a wide angle lens. Another observation....the camera angle on these shots relative to the nozzle.....what's the diameter of the rocket again? Maybe the Astronauts are holding the cameras out there on selfie sticks?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I must be an anal retentive asshole, but I kept noticing how that red seal looked like shoddy workmanship. And it looked like they covered bolts with sparkle and forgot to sand them.
skynews-nasa-spacex-iss-docking_5002951.jpg

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
I must be an anal retentive asshole, but I kept noticing how that red seal looked like shoddy workmanship. And it looked like they covered bolts with sparkle and forgot to sand them.
View attachment 92060
Did you also notice the pre latch-up jets used to maneuver the capsule? Noticed how they shoot out like they would down on the ground....a little jet of propellant or compressed gas? Problem is the environment at 250 miles is a really low low low pressure one of infinite volume.....and the gas upon exit would dissipate in every direction....similar to the way the blast off plume broadens the higher it gets.....except worse. So....what are the little jets pushing against again? PS: Don't show me a little rocket in a small vacuum chamber exhibiting propulsion.....'cause once the rocket ignites the vacuum is gone....and the gas pressure rises considerably. Not same same.