Nagging Elbow Tendinitis.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
And now back to our regular programming...oh chronic elbow pain? Undetermined chronic soft tissue inflammation! Maybe tendinitis or ligament tear or cartilage damage or some form of degenerative arthritis or growth or nerve condition or vascular condition possibly even muscular. I'd say a chronic condition that doesn't resolve with some standard care (highly variable sadly, see above posts) necessitates a good evaluation and possibly diagnostic intervention.

Reactions: Chocki

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
And now back to our regular programming...oh chronic elbow pain? Undetermined chronic soft tissue inflammation! Maybe tendinitis or ligament tear or cartilage damage or some form of degenerative arthritis or growth or nerve condition or vascular condition possibly even muscular. I'd say a chronic condition that doesn't resolve with some standard care (highly variable sadly, see above posts) necessitates a good evaluation and possibly diagnostic intervention.
The original injury happened while pushing extra hard doing pull ups. There was a pop or tear sensation then intense pain which became dull pain for a couple of days. The original focus of the pain was 3 inches from the elbow if you drew a line up your forearm from your funny bone to your middle finger. There was a paticular spot deep in the forearm I could massage that would provide relief. If I pressed on it with my thumb I could roll this tendon, ligament or muscle around. It feels like it connects the funny bone region of the elbow to the muscle that provides grip strength to the middle and ring finger. Hope that helps.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The original injury happened while pushing extra hard doing pull ups. There was a pop or tear sensation then intense pain which became dull pain for a couple of days. The original focus of the pain was 3 inches from the elbow if you drew a line up your forearm from your funny bone to your middle finger. There was a paticular spot deep in the forearm I could massage that would provide relief. If I pressed on it with my thumb I could roll this tendon, ligament or muscle around. It feels like it connects the funny bone region of the elbow to the muscle that provides grip strength to the middle and ring finger. Hope that helps.
Have you gone to your MD?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
That sounds like a tear. I believe that can heal over a very long period of time if it is a partial tear. (better off breaking a bone) It the tear is complete you need surgery. IMO. And I am not a Doctor but I stayed at a Comfort Inn last night.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

Take-home Points:
  1. Neither the presence nor extent of alterations in a tendon dictate loading capacity.

2. Imaging is not typically warranted for diagnosis.

3. Rest is not recommended.

4. Full functional recovery often takes several months or more, thus it is important to maintain and embrace the process approach to self-management.

5. Symptoms will ebb and flow throughout the process based on a variety of factors beyond the tendon. Poor tolerance for a given prescription merits modifications of exercise intensity, volume, or exercise selection.

6. Modifying loading involves manipulation of activity, exercise type, frequency, volume, and intensity.

7. Resistance training is highly recommended during and after rehabilitation. There does not appear to be a uniquely beneficial mode of muscle contraction (e.g., isometric vs. concentric vs. other) that is superior to others.

8. Sport-specific exercises such as “energy-storage” activities may need to be minimized or de-loaded during the initial stages of rehab, and then gradually reintroduced based on symptoms and tolerance.

9. Return to Sport defines a stage where you are ready for pre-season practice but not full competition since there is typically a loss in baseline fitness during the rehabilitation process.

10. Although many are in search of passive treatment options, the supportive evidence remains strongest for exercise management.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
The biggest problem is it just never seems to heal. Its been 10 months now. I'm finding its pretty much impossible to rest a sore elbow. Even during down time everything you do seems to involve bending your elbow. I'd probably have to be put in a cast to really rest it. Surfed this week and duck diving and popping up have it fired up pretty good again.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Does sound like a tear. Pull ups with hands facing forward or backward? I'm thinking MRI if it is still bothering you.
I was doing them on a pull up station with multiple positions. At the time of the injury I was using the station with the handles going away from you......if that makes sense.

Best image I could find was the way this picture shows the hands.

On a station like this

Reactions: SurfDoc

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My elbow pain is pretty much gone after a year and a half. Did PT, prolotherapy shot, 2 cortisones shots, and nothing helped. Ortho suggested PRP, but didn't want to throw away $800 for no results, since ins didn't cover it.

Followed @GWS_2 's advice, and it's pretty much gone. Used a hammer last week and no sharp pain upon impact. Played tennis w/ the grom the last 2 weeks, and it's fine.

Thank you, sir!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My elbow pain is pretty much gone after a year and a half. Did PT, prolotherapy shot, 2 cortisones shots, and nothing helped. Ortho suggested PRP, but didn't want to throw away $800 for no results, since ins didn't cover it.

Followed @GWS_2 's advice, and it's pretty much gone. Used a hammer last week and no sharp pain upon impact. Played tennis w/ the grom the last 2 weeks, and it's fine.

Thank you, sir!
Cool man. You're like the 5th person. Everyone who has done it has pretty much cured it.

If it comes back, hit it again.

Mine has been totally gone for years now and I abuse it pretty regularly.

Reactions: ghostshaper

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
So what is the mystery cure?
Here's part of what I sent GS. I think you have a tear though. You need a diagnosis before you do anything.

"I'll try and keep this short. I was to the point where I could hardly carry a hammer much less use one. I was turning all the knobs on my machine left handed because my right was fvcked. I couldn't carry grocery bags in from the car with my right. Cortisone shots, PT, ice, then they were talking about surgery. I know two people that that had the surgery and they are both crippled. Not stoked.

Enter this broken down old stuntman. Classic tendonitis/tennis elbow, if you force your fingers upward and then push them down with the other hand while resisting with your bad hand, it will hurt right back at that point on the outside of the elbow. That point is where that tendon attaches. He told me to find that point, and start massaging it with your other hand. HARD. Make it hurt. Sit in front of the TV and just grind on it. In three days it was mostly over for me. Done."

Sounds way too easy. So far everyone that has tried has had results similar to GS and I. Your mileage may vary. Do NOT attempt on a tear. This was for classic tendinitis.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Here's part of what I sent GS. I think you have a tear though. You need a diagnosis before you do anything.

"I'll try and keep this short. I was to the point where I could hardly carry a hammer much less use one. I was turning all the knobs on my machine left handed because my right was fvcked. I couldn't carry grocery bags in from the car with my right. Cortisone shots, PT, ice, then they were talking about surgery. I know two people that that had the surgery and they are both crippled. Not stoked.

Enter this broken down old stuntman. Classic tendonitis/tennis elbow, if you force your fingers upward and then push them down with the other hand while resisting with your bad hand, it will hurt right back at that point on the outside of the elbow. That point is where that tendon attaches. He told me to find that point, and start massaging it with your other hand. HARD. Make it hurt. Sit in front of the TV and just grind on it. In three days it was mostly over for me. Done."

Sounds way too easy. So far everyone that has tried has had results similar to GS and I. Your mileage may vary. Do NOT attempt on a tear. This was for classic tendinitis.
Oh. I've done that one. It does give relief for sure but it hasn't made it go away. I've even used a golf ball and the handle of a screw driver to dig in there. Early on after the original injury I was actually having daily muscle spasm's or cramps in there about four inches forward of my elbow. When I'd feel one of these cramps beginning I'd start digging in there and that tendon would be tight as a guitar string until I could get it to relax and the cramp would subside. In a way I feel it was those spasm's or cramps that I felt were doing some of the damage and definitely not letting things improve. Like getting a charlie horse in your leg except its in the forearm near the elbow and only effects this one small tendon or muscle.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I think you've got a tear. So something that works on inflammation is going to fail on a tear. A partial tear can heal with a great deal of time and rest. A total tear, which it doesn't sound like you have, (IMHO) needs surgery. It's worth getting the MRI if you have insurance.