My son perforated his eardrum surfing - Costa Rica next week?

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Hey Doc/erBB. My 12 y/o took a surfboard to the head yesterday and has a minor perforation of his left eardrum according to the doc. We're planning a trip to Playa Grande July 6. Should I get him ear plugs (and recommendation for a proper brand appreciated)? No surfing? No earplugs, just keep drops in his ears and let him surf? HELP!

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I just recovered from a badly perforated ear drum.

Don't surf until it heals. Getting water in your inner ear is really really really painful and can cause lasting damage.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
That's what I'm thinking. I don't know how he can keep water out of his ear particularly when surfing near a rivermouth in CR. Man, this sux. It was fricking waist high shorebreak and his board's deck hit him square in the ear. He heard the whooshing sound when he did it but couldn't blow air out through his ear holding his nose and closing his mouth sso I figured he hadn't perforated. He went to sleep last night. Woke up this am and said he felt like it had water in it so I put in a couple of drops of alcohol. Woops... Let's just say there were screams. Doc confirmed this AM - very small tear. But a tear nonetheless...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hey Doc/erBB. My 12 y/o took a surfboard to the head yesterday and has a minor perforation of his left eardrum according to the doc. We're planning a trip to Playa Grande July 6. Should I get him ear plugs (and recommendation for a proper brand appreciated)? No surfing? No earplugs, just keep drops in his ears and let him surf? HELP!
If you want him to have a tympanoplasty let him surf.