My pop up has gone to sh!t!!!!

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
As always haz been said right here on the erBB...

The best workout "for to improve your surfing"?

More surfing!

:waving:

All of your excersize mats are belongs to me!

:roflmao:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Difficult to do in the NorthEast. Weeks without surf are not uncommon unless you're willing to surf knee high dribble in a 5mil.
your geographically surfistic short comings are not my issue here.

get yourself a paddle board and get outside and explore, like that other dude, who always says he's going outside, and then posts another one.

:roflmao: :monkey:

Reactions: LifeOnMars

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
your geographically surfistic short comings are not my issue here.

get yourself a paddle board and get outside and explore, like that other dude, who always says he's going outside, and then posts another one.

:roflmao: :monkey:
Suiting up and going out for junk surf in the NE winter doesn't provide any return on the investment required. Does not provide more than minimal exercise, primarily putting on and pulling off the full suit, and results in even less fun and satisfaction. Nothing colder than sitting in onshore slop hoping that something rideable magically appears. By the time I get the suit off in the parking lot in below freezing temps, get home, rinse it off in the shower and hang it up, I realize that it was an extremely poor use of my time. Better off going to the pool and getting some real exercise to be ready to go when there are reasonably good waves. (We need a freezing & shivering emoji)

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
Suiting up and going out for junk surf in the NE winter doesn't provide any return on the investment required. Does not provide more than minimal exercise, primarily putting on and pulling off the full suit, and results in even less fun and satisfaction. Nothing colder than sitting in onshore slop hoping that something rideable magically appears. By the time I get the suit off in the parking lot in below freezing temps, get home, rinse it off in the shower and hang it up, I realize that it was an extremely poor use of my time. Better off going to the pool and getting some real exercise to be ready to go when there are reasonably good waves. (We need a freezing & shivering emoji)
Forgot to mention, when you do catch a wave on a winter slop day, the average ride time is often measured in milliseconds.

Reactions: LifeOnMars

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Thank you for that honest description of NE surfing. It puts the published photos of the NE- perfect offshore, sunny- into proper perspective. I will stop considering the NE for retirement. :socrazy:

Reminds me of when we had an Aussie guy (or, as our Kiwi foreman called him- "the bloody Ocker") on our work crew and he explained to me he came to California because of all the photos he'd seen in the Aussie surf rags showing perfect days, and he'd got it into his head that California was surf paradise. Boy, was he disappointed.:roflmao:

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
the NE is not unique in that respect i really wonder why I even try to surf dec thru feb

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I've found that this is an issue with flexibility as well. Tight hips from sitting all day, etc. Its extremely noticeable for me when I haven't been stretching routinely and the waves are shitty. It doesn't matter when there's decent waves but when it's shitty its everything.

Reactions: CutnSnip

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Lola at me suiting up to kayak in the bay on a gusty gray near gale day in March. Warm up next week, water's just started to warm up, it's almost time to focus on putting this late winter behind ( first half was enjoyable). Reset. Try again.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Reminds me of when we had an Aussie guy (or, as our Kiwi foreman called him- "the bloody Ocker") on our work crew and he explained to me he came to California because of all the photos he'd seen in the Aussie surf rags showing perfect days, and he'd got it into his head that California was surf paradise. Boy, was he disappointed.:roflmao:
Compared to New Jersey California is paradise in terms of surf. In my fall and winter trips to California through the years there has only been one day where I couldn't find a fun wave someplace on the right tide. My worst trip to California was a week where it never got above chest high and all we surfed was Upper Trestles and Oceanside all week and I remember thinking several times when surfing chest high Uppers that those waves would literally be the day of the year back home in NJ. A weak chest high day at the jetties in Oceanside might be the equivalent to the best day in an entire month in NJ. Yes NJ gets good and even big hollow waves but in reality its all mostly closed out beachbreak and the few spots that do get good are insanely crowded.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
after 30 years of surfing, i feel like a beginner again. My front foot drags on the deck and toes sometimes roll over. front foot ends up in the wrong place...i have to re-adjust the footing . After all that stumbling around.,,, ive blown the wave a lot of the time...

ANY SUGGESTIONS? 54yrs old 195 lbs in good shape.... xoxoxoxoxox
Try the "chicken wing" 2-step pop up. First plant your back foot. It requires less strength. Practice in your back yard. Search "surfing pop up" on YouTube. In the following video advance to 4:00...and lose weight.

Surfing Tutorial: The Pop Up - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Lohena

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Compared to New Jersey California is paradise in terms of surf. In my fall and winter trips to California through the years there has only been one day where I couldn't find a fun wave someplace on the right tide. My worst trip to California was a week where it never got above chest high and all we surfed was Upper Trestles and Oceanside all week and I remember thinking several times when surfing chest high Uppers that those waves would literally be the day of the year back home in NJ. A weak chest high day at the jetties in Oceanside might be the equivalent to the best day in an entire month in NJ. Yes NJ gets good and even big hollow waves but in reality its all mostly closed out beachbreak and the few spots that do get good are insanely crowded.
Wow, that sounds a lot like the South Bay beaches. I feel for you, brother. Sorry.