my foray into Reddit r/surfing community

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
From rape to ripping (or lack thereof) in one thread. Gotta love erbb.

On another note. How about the people trying to strike up conversation in the lineup. Fak brah, don't talk to me I here to catch waves not socialize.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Ah so you're one of those.

Because as has been alluded to earlier in this thread, if you learned surfing implicitly, you learned a few yards here or there make a big difference. If you're about wave count, then you're not out there to talk, you're out there to surf.

A major part of being a good surfer is being able to read the water which ya can't do if you're distracted yaking.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location

Because as has been alluded to earlier in this thread, if you learned surfing implicitly, you learned a few yards here or there make a big difference. If you're about wave count, then you're not out there to talk, you're out there to surf.

A major part of being a good surfer is being able to read the water which ya can't do if you're distracted yaking.
Weird, I see people happily talking story in the lineup all the time and still getting great waves.

Maybe it's just you.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What's wrong with some friendly conversation?
In the abstract, nothing. And Muscles and Jamesgang, I think this might be one of those "Hawaii is a different animal entirely" scenarios.

In practice in Florida...

Half the friendly conversation I see is followed by a friendly attempt to paddle from three feet out of priority to one foot up priority in an effort to snake. You paddle into their way and glare or beat them at their own gay ass game of leapfrog (and then angle your board underneath theirs because now they're trying to burn you) and they act like you're being anti-social by defending your right to ride a wave that came to you, not them. Conduct an experiment by sitting two feet up priority of these people for 15 minutes straight like they try to do to everyone else and see what happens.

Throw in the victim being someone who isn't all that competent but is vaguely aware they're dealing with a shameless self-serving asshole, and they drop right in. For sure, superficially friendly dickhead in need of a Mossberg round to the face frames their follow up as they're being helpful explaining the WQS 4-man heat rulebook to their fellow amateur at the 17th best peak with maybe five people at some dogshit beachbreak with a surfline multi-cam.

"You didn't hear me call you off after I looked right at a wave that came to you, paddled two feet around you, and hollered/whistled?"

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Yea, chit chat is normal. Just depends on the spot, crowd, etc.
I think theres not a lot of casuals down here though so its all the same small group.
Not exactly like we have a sick wave to defend from clamoring hordes in Texas.
Only time we see kooks out in large numbers causing issues is hurricane surf.

Reactions: Topazslider

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii

I'm not going to be on the tour anytime soon. Having a friendly conversation with my friends isn't going to hurt wave count.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm not going to be on the tour anytime soon. Having a friendly conversation with my friends isn't going to hurt wave count.
Seriously

Who doesn't chit chat in the lineup? I chit chat everywhere I ever go

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I think conversation/chitchat is inevitable at points/reefs with defined takeoff zones and a crew of regulars.
This is true. I've been surfing for over 40 years and the above is most definitely true at my local. Granted, there are always Aholes that will bring fake conversation and use that to snake around you but it's not always the case. If it is, you're surfing in the wrong place. The crew I surf with has been around here for decades. We know each other pretty well. In fact, very well in the water. We laugh, joke, and talk about our kids and still manage more waves than the average wave jockey. I've found that personality and ability combined can make for a great session. As long as everyone is playing by the same rules.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Going through all the BS that rape victims go through after making an accusation of rape (including what's going on in this thread), why would any victim make this up? Don't @ me and say money or regret of consensual sex.

Make accusation, get judged, get ridiculed, speculated against, name in the press (if it's high profile), reputation attacked by lawyers, judgement from peers and then knowing most rapist go uncharged? It sounds like hell. Would you go through that? Even if it was for money or regret of consensual? I doubt you would.

My father in law is the volunteer doctor at the SATC here. He's on call every weekend. Every weekend he gets called in. Majority of these victims don't file charges, I'd guess 75% or more don't (he rarely gets called to trial). The ones that do file charges have to deal with the legal side of it for YEARS. He gets called between 9pm and 3am. This isn't some hangover regret. This is real life tragedy.
Women who are sexually assaulted that don’t report it to the police are enabling the rape of more women.

Rapists usually don’t stop at one.

When my wife was younger a man she knew broke into her bedroom window while she was asleep and (unsuccessfully) attempted to rape her. She called the cops, identified him and he was arrested and eventually put in prison.

Through DNA testing it was determined that he raped at least 8 other women and girls before attacking my (future) wife.

None of them followed through with pressing charges. All of them knew him.

If just one of them stepped forward all the others after that would not have been raped.

While I have sympathy for the victims of rape their silence allows more women to be victimized.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
This is true. I've been surfing for over 40 years and the above is most definitely true at my local. Granted, there are always Aholes that will bring fake conversation and use that to snake around you but it's not always the case. If it is, you're surfing in the wrong place. The crew I surf with has been around here for decades. We know each other pretty well. In fact, very well in the water. We laugh, joke, and talk about our kids and still manage more waves than the average wave jockey. I've found that personality and ability combined can make for a great session. As long as everyone is playing by the same rules.
Also, having a group of regulars chatting signals to kooks and visitors that they're not going to be getting the set waves they're looking for. It's a good thing for crowd management - you can see the lineup dynamics change in real time when a few regulars paddle out and the riffraff disperse from the main peak. :LOL:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Also, having a group of regulars chatting signals to kooks and visitors that they're not going to be getting the set waves they're looking for. It's a good thing for crowd management - you can see the lineup dynamics change in real time when a few regulars paddle out and the riffraff disperse from the main peak. :LOL:
BU2GN51.gif

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I definitely talk with my friends but then there are guys who will talk your head off to you or their best friend and next thing you know they out positioned you and are getting the wave of the day.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I like to chit chat in the water, but it never gets in the way of catching a wave. All conversation stops when it's time to surf though, and it seems most of the people I know do that too. Story immediately paused and maybe finished later.

Surfing lunch patrol, I've heard a lot of half stories and then had to get back to work :ROFLMAO: