my foray into Reddit r/surfing community

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Figures yall would hate on the r/surfing community cause there's no tolerance for the hate and bigotedness that seems to be the norm in this community. Hate has no home @ r/surfing. If yall don't like it fook off.
Obvious troll is obvious

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I like that beginners and kooks are really stocked on surfing, and there's a lot of that there which is cool, but I can't stand the BS automatic equity and "freedom" that some beginners and r/surfing people force on surfing.

Surfing is free, but surfing with other people has rules and should be a meritocracy. Give respect, charge, then get respect.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Whenever I get pissed at adult learners crowding the lineup, I realize that they will never get good and they don't know why. You want to know why adult learners and all these free spiritual bros will never get good? It's because they never sat on the inside like a grom and WATCHED good people surf a whole wave. They always want to get out to the peak and get a set. Not realizing that a fundamental part of becoming a good surfer is watching a good surfer ride a wave. They have no patience for that.

Remember when you were a grom and you'd see some of your older favorite surfers on a wave? In hindsight they might not have been that good, but they did something interesting and you watched. And you learned. Adult learners can't grasp that - they think it's like any other sport and you just jump out there and learn. Nah buddy, you gotta study.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Whenever I get pissed at adult learners crowding the lineup, I realize that they will never get good and they don't know why. You want to know why adult learners and all these free spiritual bros will never get good? It's because they never sat on the inside like a grom and WATCHED good people surf a whole wave. They always want to get out to the peak and get a set. Not realizing that a fundamental part of becoming a good surfer is watching a good surfer ride a wave. They have no patience for that.

Remember when you were a grom and you'd see some of your older favorite surfers on a wave? In hindsight they might not have been that good, but they did something interesting and you watched. And you learned. Adult learners can't grasp that - they think it's like any other sport and you just jump out there and learn. Nah buddy, you gotta study.
When I was a grom, we would get a beat down if we dared paddle to the main peak. We would sneak out there only when the big guys weren't around.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
It's the difference between explicit vs implicit learning. I have no issue with those being explicitly guided, but I feel that those who have gone through the implicit path, have a far deeper understanding of what's going on in the lineup, including respecting the meritocracy.

The ones who are going through the explicit path, are over represented in the reddit threads.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Who knew Andrew Luster had access to the internet?
damn, dude. Why did you have jar that memory. That guy was the biggest fucking sh!t heel at LRC. I got in a scrap with him there.

More accurately he just walked up to me and took a swing (I may have said some mean things to him) and I leg kicked him really hard. He went into his house, presumably to get a weapon, and I bailed.

Not long after that he was in the news.

Total POS to the core.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Post of the year.

Reactions: Topazslider and PJ

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
The rape was so brutal, violent and evil that it instantly shocked her into a frozen and silent state. ZERO chance she was drunk and fucked chad and then regretted it. Remember folks, women cant consent when they are inebriated, but men can.

Reactions: Ifallalot

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Yeah you totally showed that chick you never met, and surely don’t know the full details of the story whose boss!
Stop it, seriously. The girl went at length through her whole story. Then she replied to comments as well. I got the whole story, believe me.

Now tell me, your wife lets a guy sleep in bed with her. They say their just friends. Are you cool with that?

Really!

Why not?

Your wife gets her tit grabbed by some guy. She doesn't say anything and lets him keep doing it. Even though you are within hearing distance. Are you going to be pissed she didn't pipe up? Maybe tell him to knock it off? Maybe just get up and walk away?

Again the rapist was, by her own admission a friend. She wasn't scared of him hurting her. She could have just gotten up, and went to sleep on the couch. But nope, she just lay there silently. She froze.

Now, lets switch it around. Some girl invites you to spend the night. You are friends with her. She seems positive, so you spoon up behind her. She's awake but doesn''t make a sound. So you grab a handful, and still she is cool with it, and says nothing. So you figure she is randy too and you go all the way.

Now you are a fvcking rapist! You disgust me! how could you have done such a thing! Go confess to the police and go to jail for 20 years.

You're young aren't you? It's ok. You've got lots of time ahead of you, and lots of experiences ahead of you. You'll figure it out later.