My first pilgrimage to Mecca

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Been here for 6 days, yesterday was the first realish macas day. 4-6 clean all day.al title Lully but when they came…chefs kiss. 24 people in the water at it’s busiest but generally everyone sticking to their number. I switch off between the peak and then will sit a little under and pick off the tweeners. Then back to the peak and wait my turn. Didn’t get the one I was dreaming about quite yet but another 8 days to go. A few guys got some proper drainers yesterday though. Way better with some swell in the water. Inside can be a bit dicey without water moving on the reef but no cuts yet. 3 sessions yesterday and feeling it today. Small again and onshore to start the day today but waiting for it to cleanup. Have had a bunch of mediocre sessions with only a few guys out which is nice.

went to thunders one day, was ok again not exactly doing its thing but fun nonetheless. A small group went to the bush yesterday and got kinda skunked. My group takes up 8 spots at the camp and then the rest are pretty chill. Even the brazzos waiting their turns. Food is pretty good, portions a bit small. Camp is about what you’d expect in the middle of nowhere and the staff is all time. Not luxury if that’s what peeps are expecting but more than good enough for me. Rest of the forecast if it holds looks ok, but not epic by any means. Maybe 2 more 4-6 days if we’re lucky. Still got my hopes set on a Roxie’s sesh but we'll see.

overall backhand feeling a lot better tho and just hyped to be here. Will update again after tomorrow. It’s a turnover day, with half the camp splitting and another group coming in, 3-5 and we should have to our selves for a big chunk of the day.

Edit.: in the room soaking up some a/c. Looks like it just turned offshore with a passing squall. 2 guys out, and about to be 3 :giggle:
Attaboy!

Reactions: CutnSnip

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Well I am here too, first time and feel like I am not living up to my expectations, seem to be out of postion and probably not committing fully ‘yet’, have had a few solid waves and some solid wipeouts, surprisingly no reef cuts yet. Broke a board at decent sized Bank Vaults, what a wave! I hope to report back that I got a proper barrel, waves on the way.

May 21, 2024
I’m sure it’s understood that this Hajj will be performed in Indo.

I finally will be pulling the trigger.

Boat vs camp? Specific recs?

Potential for this autumn, maybe next.

I have reasonable funds available, somewhat limited time (10-14 days), and an eagerness that is bolstered by a mid life crisis.

Cheers
I am seeing the Mecca in my Dream. so can you please tell me what about the dream meaning to seeing mecca?:sleep:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Well I am here too, first time and feel like I am not living up to my expectations, seem to be out of postion and probably not committing fully ‘yet’, have had a few solid waves and some solid wipeouts, surprisingly no reef cuts yet. Broke a board at decent sized Bank Vaults, what a wave! I hope to report back that I got a proper barrel, waves on the way.

put the chin on the deck and charge

surfing "perfect Indo" is a lot harder than it looks - line up knowledge and different lines

cant wait for next two swells - hopefully get the wipeout of my life

E41C1274-E319-4F2A-842A-77B2D6B9C980.jpeg

didnt make this one

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Leaving macas on Friday and looking at that forecast with a lot of jealousy, although it’d probably be bonkers at that size on this reef.. Hate to say it but we’ve gotten kinda skunked over here the last week. A few decent maca days but so inconsistent, not enough waves for the crowd, people getting impatient and eggy and lots of bad decisions being made as a result.2 boats plus a camp full of frothers when it’s been on. When there’s 30 peeps in the water and one 2 wave set every 45 minutes it’s a pita. Rotation goes right out the window when everyone’s been sitting that long.Seen a handful of barrels made in 2 weeks and me not in any of them. Wound up surfing crappier waves a couple sessions just to get my feet in the wax. Still having a hell of a time with the boys, fishing annd eating sashimi every day and we had one epic session the 2 days ago at overhead thunders with just us out for a couple hours. The inside sesction there is what nightmares are made of and now have the indo tats all over

Like Truth said though, these waves take more than one trip to dial in. The reef is razor blades and really only started really getting it on like day 5 and so much more to learn. Hard to compare to even Bali and the waves over there.

Was stormin all day today, poker and bintangs for 9 hours straight. Maybe another mediocre day tomorrow and then one more proper morning session on Friday before a 3 day trek home. Either way been a great vacation. This place is a dream and I’ll be back as soon as I can convince my boss I need another 3 weeks off.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Tom Curren status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Like Truth said though, these waves take more than one trip to dial in. The reef is razor blades and really only started really getting it on like day 5 and so much more to learn. Hard to compare to even Bali and the waves over there.
Truth haha it def takes time to adjust even though the waves look perfect. Trip 3 this year and I am just getting used to it. Also truth is right just get a crazy bail under your belt, my first trip I blew a duck dive on the most hollow shallow wave I had seen at the time. First time caught inside in Indo is an experience.
upside over the falls , luckily didnt hit the reef. Completely throttled but came up unscathed.

felt better about sending it after that.

santacruzin

Tom Curren status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Yea Bank Vaults is heavy! Kind of a bitch what the current does on a large day though. Pulling you right up into the bad place.

Friend fractured his leg out there last trip.
Here's a smaller one
E941801F-DF9B-45A7-9281-99A08FEE33C3.jpeg

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Truth haha it def takes time to adjust even though the waves look perfect. Trip 3 this year and I am just getting used to it. Also truth is right just get a crazy bail under your belt, my first trip I blew a duck dive on the most hollow shallow wave I had seen at the time. First time caught inside in Indo is an experience.
upside over the falls , luckily didnt hit the reef. Completely throttled but came up unscathed.

felt better about sending it after that.
For sure. Seems like if you stick to the sets the reef doesn’t even come into play,it’s the insiders and small days you gotta be careful.

Reactions: santacruzin

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Leaving macas on Friday and looking at that forecast with a lot of jealousy, although it’d probably be bonkers at that size on this reef.. Hate to say it but we’ve gotten kinda skunked over here the last week. A few decent maca days but so inconsistent, not enough waves for the crowd, people getting impatient and eggy and lots of bad decisions being made as a result.2 boats plus a camp full of frothers when it’s been on. When there’s 30 peeps in the water and one 2 wave set every 45 minutes it’s a pita. Rotation goes right out the window when everyone’s been sitting that long.Seen a handful of barrels made in 2 weeks and me not in any of them. Wound up surfing crappier waves a couple sessions just to get my feet in the wax. Still having a hell of a time with the boys, fishing annd eating sashimi every day and we had one epic session the 2 days ago at overhead thunders with just us out for a couple hours. The inside sesction there is what nightmares are made of and now have the indo tats all over

Was stormin all day today, poker and bintangs for 9 hours straight. Maybe another mediocre day tomorrow and then one more proper morning session on Friday before a 3 day trek home. Either way been a great vacation. This place is a dream and I’ll be back as soon as I can convince my boss I need another 3 weeks off.
This is the inside section at Thunders. Pretty sketchy when you see the water pulling off the reef just off your rail. Had I not made this one, I'm sure a whole bottle of red cap and a flat of Bintangs would have been required.
1716419370075.png

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Love the feedback, “you‘re not in Kansas anymore” here is the truth. Waiting to see what spots are on offer today, seems like another mellow day, before that new swell. This place is a mind game, plus the guys who seem to have less fear, have it wired, surf home breaks that are far superior to mine. One step at a time, doubt and you are out, limits are what limit….:cheers:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
What Truth noted earlier is key, put your chin down and dig as hard as you can. Take note of how the guys that are getting the good deep ones are setting themselves up; from where they sit, the way they paddle into the wave, their angle of entry on take off, etc.... There is a science to it but you have to commit. You are going to take a few beatings but they are all forgotten once you get your first real long tube. Then the fire is lit and you start to swing late on the waves of your life.

Have fun and get TUBED!!!!!!

santacruzin

Tom Curren status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
For sure. Seems like if you stick to the sets the reef doesn’t even come into play,it’s the insiders and small days you gotta be careful.
Commitment is the biggest thing second to positioning.
Figure those out and you are styling!

NPSP and truth have good advice.

Mine to my self is nut up and not to jump off to early. you can surprise yourself with waves you make … allegedly
:roflmao: