My brain is melting.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Each one of those blobs is a galaxy.
They said that image is looking at a field of view as large as a grain of sand on your fingertip at arm's length.
Now imagine how many galaxies there are in the whole universe.

Each one of those galaxies has millions of stars in it.
If only 0.01% of those stars had planets, and if only 0.01% of those planets have life on 'em, and if only 0.01% of those planets with life have highly evolved, advanced, intelligent life, that's still a shitload of planets out there with intelligent life.

We are not alone.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
They said that image is looking at a field of view as large as a grain of sand on your fingertip at arm's length.

If only 0.01% of those stars had planets, and if only 0.01% of those planets have life on 'em, and if only 0.01% of those planets with life have highly evolved, advanced, intelligent life, that's still a shitload of planets out there with intelligent life.

We are not alone.
We may or may not be.

The Fermi paradox is still a very strong piece of conjecture.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

We are not alone.
I have a signed Drake equation by the man himself. Didn't get to meet him bc he was sick the week I was up there, though.

Reactions: Black