Muscle atrophy?

Jul 10, 2014
48 years old. Been consistently surfing 30+ years 3-5 days/week. Lately my shoulder muscles (front deltoids) have been feeling extremely weak, like painful and constricted range of motion. Feels like paddling muscles are okay, but any muscles I don’t use surfing are totally starting to atrophy and let me down.

Must be age, right? Been on a Keto kick for about two years, so maybe more carbs? Feel like I need to start doing military presses to strengthen. Some kind of cross-training? Been getting winded a lot too. Weird.

No other exercise routines except for the occasional walk or hike, but did some weights/cardio back in the day. Oh and stretching is a HUGE area for opportunity. (Like flossing, I just don’t do it enough or let’s be honest... most times not at all.)

Would really appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Talk to your doctor, ask him to send an order to your local lab. Get a blood work up. Could be a decline in testosterone levels or other age related normalizes. Or, maybe not. Easy to rule oua number of possibles.

Reactions: Potsie

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you are surfing 3-5 times a week, not sure more upper body workouts are good. You need carbs too.

Get a bike to work your heart.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Hard work is fatiguing.:)

Try creatine

I started taking electrolytes with my water.

I keeps me from peeing it all out.

You could buy or just take a little bicarbonate soda and potassium. I'm doing both.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm 51 and 48 was the age when the wheels started falling off. My perfect vision went to sh!t right around then too. At this stage surfing alone won't do it. Really need to be in the gym too.

Regarding the shoulders, try static hanging from a pull up bar. Doing that routinely has helped my shoulder issues a ton.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
48 years old. Been consistently surfing 30+ years 3-5 days/week. Lately my shoulder muscles (front deltoids) have been feeling extremely weak, like painful and constricted range of motion. Feels like paddling muscles are okay, but any muscles I don’t use surfing are totally starting to atrophy and let me down.

Must be age, right? Been on a Keto kick for about two years, so maybe more carbs? Feel like I need to start doing military presses to strengthen. Some kind of cross-training? Been getting winded a lot too. Weird.

No other exercise routines except for the occasional walk or hike, but did some weights/cardio back in the day. Oh and stretching is a HUGE area for opportunity. (Like flossing, I just don’t do it enough or let’s be honest... most times not at all.)

As you get older your sleep quality goes down...as does your bodies ability to process nutrients including protein. All this leads to increased fatigue. More sleep and more protein could help. Stretching does nothing for health, fitness, injury prevention, recovery etc etc. It's purely a mental exercise.

I'm going to guess you're meeting or exceeding the minimum activity guidelines for health. I would get a general physical and make sure there's nothing else goin on.

Jul 10, 2014
As you get older your sleep quality goes down...as does your bodies ability to process nutrients including protein. All this leads to increased fatigue. More sleep and more protein could help. Stretching does nothing for health, fitness, injury prevention, recovery etc etc. It's purely a mental exercise.

I'm going to guess you're meeting or exceeding the minimum activity guidelines for health. I would get a general physical and make sure there's nothing else goin on.
Smart advice. Nothing to lose doin’ the physical/bloodwork thing. And yep, aging sucks - can’t see shvt without my readers. Appreciate the comments, everybody.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Smart advice. Nothing to lose doin’ the physical/bloodwork thing. And yep, aging sucks - can’t see shvt without my readers. Appreciate the comments, everybody.
Keto is a sh!t diet for physical activity in my experience. I did it for a while and it doesn’t put much gas in the tank for activities involving a lot of exertion. The idea that fat gives you your energy instead of carbs is more theory than practice IMO. Something that doesn’t kick in supposedly until after 2 hours doesn’t do much for the first 2 when you need it. Most of the proponents are a bunch of you tubers and click bait whores.

Beware when you go off that diet. The faux effects of its weight loss claim will kick your ass. Kind of like drinking too much. Gotta pay the piper sometime.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Humans are adaptable.

Some people adapt to certain things easier than others.

I think you try and see how you do.

I like carbs. They make life sweeter.

For fat loss protein and lifting weights.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you are surfing 3-5 times a week, not sure more upper body workouts are good. You need carbs too.

Get a bike to work your heart.
And whatever you do, don't listen to VonMeister.

He is a clueless clown.

Reactions: Chocki

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
And whatever you do, don't listen to VonMeister.

He is a clueless clown.
I can admit I'm not the right guy for all strength and conditioning goals. Like for instance your quest for a body that resembles the skinny fat housewives day drinking at the local wine bar....this obviously isn't something I can help you with.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

And yet the mind, mind set, mental attitude has an oversize effect on health does it not?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

TRT.

you’re welcome.