Mountain Lion in Hawaii

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
A bunch of years ago someone apparently came across an ocelot on Maui and that was the prevailing theory as to how it got here.

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
Large cats are the polar opposite of "invasive species", moron.

Instead, they are an "endangered" species, worldwide. Why? A lot of reasons, a key one being low reproductive rates. Almost all invasive species have high reproductive rates. Big cats do not. Look up the word "endangered"; you seem to confuse "invasive" with "endangered".

Countless countries around the globe strive to protect large cats as a result. They routinely transplant them to safer and different environments to keep them from going extinct.

I'm not saying that Hawaii should allow large cats; that's up to the state. But Hawaii seems like a perfect environment to allow big cats to thrive, reproduce and replenish the species. The downside? They eat some goats and sheep and make ranchers mad. The upside? They feast on rodents intrusive to Hawaii, and perhaps replenish the species while providing some entertainment for the locals and tourists.
any chance they eat coqui frogs? :shark:

Reactions: bruhdakine

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Large cats are the polar opposite of "invasive species", moron.

Instead, they are an "endangered" species, worldwide. Why? A lot of reasons, a key one being low reproductive rates. Almost all invasive species have high reproductive rates. Big cats do not. Look up the word "endangered"; you seem to confuse "invasive" with "endangered".

Countless countries around the globe strive to protect large cats as a result. They routinely transplant them to safer and different environments to keep them from going extinct.

I'm not saying that Hawaii should allow large cats; that's up to the state. But Hawaii seems like a perfect environment to allow big cats to thrive, reproduce and replenish the species. The downside? They eat some goats and sheep and make ranchers mad. The upside? They feast on rodents intrusive to Hawaii, and perhaps replenish the species while providing some entertainment for the locals and tourists.
Lol what?

you just described a scenario where an invasive species will thrive. Large predator, Small land mass, good food source with no natural predators.:foreheadslap:

Last edited:

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
That photo of a 'cat' could be anything and the 3 toed paw print doesn't look even close to being from a cougar. I'm going to need a lot more evidence. About 20-25 years ago there were reports of a cougar in the Hawaii Kai/Aina Haina area. They even had photos that were a lot better then this guys. I think they decided it was a big house cat.