Most User Friendly HPSP?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
No, I’ve been off PU construction for HPSB’s for a few years. I prefer them at the beginning, but they start to feel dead too quickly (4-5 months) for my liking. It’s hard to justify to my wife that I need another expensive (in her mind) board because the one I recently (again in her mind) doesn’t have the same spark it originally had. She takes our 13 year old daughter to the beach quite a bit and my daughter’s boards are right next to mine, so it’s hard to sneak a new one.
So you feel you get more longer from spoon dick?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
anyone try js air 17x? looks like slightly.more hp 1st gen monsta box. bb3 n mb 2020 look too hp and the reviews seem to say this
One of the few boards I could barely surf on. Everything I saw/read made me think it'd be perfect for me as someone that drives of their front foot. Two years ago, picked up a 5'10" Hyfi which felt great under the arm and proceeded to have three days of shocker sessions. I think I went through four sets of fins and no matter which ones I was using I was going ass over teakettle at random just trying to get to a section to hit. A local who I regularly talk to out the water and was a JS rep at the time commented on my struggle and said that he didn't click with it either and much preferred the regular Air 17.

I've probably owned close to 150 boards in my 37 years of surfing and the Air 17X takes the top dog honor for me. The model obviously worked well for Julian Wilson as he rode stock Air 17X's at two different contests at the Surf Ranch, so who am I to say a board sucks, but in pretty fun waist to chest peaky beachbreak where I had to generate my own speed it was a no go.

Reactions: Lohena and Havoc
Aug 20, 2019
Might have been a series of boards? I've seen people that really clicked with it.

I still remember my top dog, a chilli spawn that just couldn't hold a rail. Though it was me, gave it to a mate, he found it "the shittiest thing he had ever tried". But might have been that one board, because obviously some people like chillis

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
anyone try js air 17x? looks like slightly.more hp 1st gen monsta box. bb3 n mb 2020 look too hp and the reviews seem to say this
Tried a mate’s. Thought it was distinctly “meh”. No specific flair or standout features, no obvious sh!t things either. It’s the most vanilla board I’ve tried in a long time.

Reactions: Havoc

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I finally started surfing my Rusty Model 8. Felt easy from the first wave, and I haven't ridden a HPSB in over 6 months. It has a pretty wide nose, flattish deck and generous foil but no exaggerated features like a wide point forward or the squat dims of a step-down like a Pyzel Phantom. The pulled in squash tail felt really sensitive while the volume forward made popping up and driving down the line easy. Felt way more user friendly than my old Fever, which for me was like a bucking bronco on takeoff. I'm still recovering from an injury so I didn't really push it. But first impression is good.

Last edited:

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
For those on the Disco Cheater, are you riding as a thruster or quad? and which fins do you like?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
For those on the Disco Cheater, are you riding as a thruster or quad? and which fins do you like?
I only liked it as a thruster. Merrick large fronts with a small reactor rear. Felt magic.
I ended up selling it cause it felt too fishy and easy, and I already have boards like that.

Reactions: SharkBoy

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I'll second what people are saying about JS Air17s. Tried the original and the x and hated both. For California shortboards I Really like the monstabox and black box 3 (hated the black box 1 and 2 though). I have a monstabox2020 and a monsta2020 coming now and we'll see how those are.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Looks like heaps of good HPSB for non-pro's these days. Lost Driver 2.0, CI Fever, JS Monster 2020, DHD DX1, Pyzel Shadow. All pretty easy to catch waves and put in the right spot.