Morocco

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Planning to go Dec/Jan/Feb timeframe, any tips or recommendations? Traveling solo, can stay for a while. Will probably go with a guide to start and possibly branch out after.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Did you check out the DIY Morocco thread below yet?
Didn’t see it until after posting, on mobile with limited screen room. Saw some decent info there, would like to hear a bit more from those that have been before.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I thought Taghazout was a good home base because there were a few really good waves within walking distance and other great waves both North and South. Yes, it will be crowded at the main break in town, but as soon as you get away from the main break, things start to open up considerably.

My wife and I found an Airbnb in town and rented a scooter to putt up and down the coast. So we did our own thing, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay with a guide like Moroccan Surf Adventures, for example. I'm sure they would take you to some amazing spots.

Our Airbnb was great! Cheap, clean, amazing views, and plenty of space. The Airbnb itself had a host that met up with us to show us around town a little bit, introduced us to our building and the apartment we were staying in, and give us some recommendations on places to eat, to avoid the street vendors, ect.....He didn't surf or anything, so he couldn't give advice on that front. He even came by and cooked us a tagine one evening. So if you have a host, bring some extra cash to tip them at the end of your trip.

We made the mistake of flying in to Marrakesh and taking a bus to Agadir, then a taxi up to Taghazout. Don't do that. Take a connecting flight from either Casablanca or Marrakesh to Agadir and then a taxi to Taghazout. That's the better way to go. But definitely visit Marakesh too if you're interested. It is one crazy city and it's really fun to visit the open market.

Reactions: fishtank

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
How is Safi? Is it a bit less crowded than down south toward Taghazout? How do conditions vary from down there?