Morning of the Earth

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Have had my Fiji in everything from clean waist high runners through unruly OH side shore beachies to firing well OH reef break freight trains. It does it all. It prefers a little juice so definitely not a groveller but the massive probably would be.

Reactions: Goodfish and Aruka

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Have had my Fiji in everything from clean waist high runners through unruly OH side shore beachies to firing well OH reef break freight trains. It does it all. It prefers a little juice so definitely not a groveller but the massive probably would be.

I jumped on a used 7'0" massive a few weeks ago. Had some repairs and pressures on the bottom, but the dude was letting it go for cheap. Wanted to sell it quick because he was leaving town to move out west. About a half a dozen dudes hit the seller up in the parking lot inquiring about the board while I was meeting him. Given that, I figured I might as well snag it, and try it out to see what the hype is about. Should be easy enough to unload for the same price I got it, even with the repairs and pressures on the bottom.

It was weird, there was wax all over the rails and fins too. I took the board home, unwaxed it and cleaned it up. The deck more or less looked brand new. From our conversation, I don't think the dude was the most advanced surfer, but was inspired by all of the video clips and dropped the cash for a custom right around 2020 or so. Given the board's appearance, I think he was just getting hammered into the sand bar and the bottom was taking the impact. Either way, a score for me and a fun test!

So far, I have rode it in everything from long period outer bar juice to thigh high inside zippers. The board works incredibly well in a variety of conditions and it goes good both frontside and backside. The deck/rails aren't crazy refined or anything too out of the ordinary, but all of the elements of the board come together quite well into a fun package. It has a fairly relaxed rocker, but I had no problem fitting it into boxy chest high barrels breaking in shallow water last week. Hope to get it out some more later today when the wind dies down.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I jumped on a used 7'0" massive a few weeks ago. Had some repairs and pressures on the bottom, but the dude was letting it go for cheap. Wanted to sell it quick because he was leaving town to move out west. About a half a dozen dudes hit the seller up in the parking lot inquiring about the board while I was meeting him. Given that, I figured I might as well snag it, and try it out to see what the hype is about. Should be easy enough to unload for the same price I got it, even with the repairs and pressures on the bottom.

It was weird, there was wax all over the rails and fins too. I took the board home, unwaxed it and cleaned it up. The deck more or less looked brand new. From our conversation, I don't think the dude was the most advanced surfer, but was inspired by all of the video clips and dropped the cash for a custom right around 2020 or so. Given the board's appearance, I think he was just getting hammered into the sand bar and the bottom was taking the impact. Either way, a score for me and a fun test!

So far, I have rode it in everything from long period outer bar juice to thigh high inside zippers. The board works incredibly well in a variety of conditions and it goes good both frontside and backside. The deck/rails aren't crazy refined or anything too out of the ordinary, but all of the elements of the board come together quite well into a fun package. It has a fairly relaxed rocker, but I had no problem fitting it into boxy chest high barrels breaking in shallow water last week. Hope to get it out some more later today when the wind dies down.
so at the end of the day it's just a functional boar where all design elements come together.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
so at the end of the day it's just a functional boar where all design elements come together.
I forgot to mention the massive amounts of street cred that I have received in and out of the water already, but that goes without saying.

S/O to my new espresso bar and organic sunscreen/granola sponsor. I couldn't live this indie lifestyle without you!

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
You will find that after having the board for a while the beard and top knot will go. The surfing of the board will improve dramatically after this. If not then flip it.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
A very ERBB dilemma:

After I had written off getting a MOTE not having heard back for like 6 months, and getting a Ghost Shapes Ghobra that I really like, I get the invoice today for a deposit on my 6'6 Fiji.

On the one hand it's probably my only opportunity to get a MOTE. On the other I'm really happy with my Ghobra and the Fiji would be largely redundant in my quiver (6'6 vs 6'4). Also I live in an apartment and board storage is at a premium and I'm not one to buy a board just to sell it and maybe turn a little profit.

I guess I could alter the sizing to make it non-redundant but I tend to just surf one board in everything and the 6'4 Ghobra is working well.

Do I follow through and get the MOTE or just tell them forget it, hit up the next guy on the list?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
A very ERBB dilemma:

After I had written off getting a MOTE not having heard back for like 6 months, and getting a Ghost Shapes Ghobra that I really like, I get the invoice today for a deposit on my 6'6 Fiji.

On the one hand it's probably my only opportunity to get a MOTE. On the other I'm really happy with my Ghobra and the Fiji would be largely redundant in my quiver (6'6 vs 6'4). Also I live in an apartment and board storage is at a premium and I'm not one to buy a board just to sell it and maybe turn a little profit.

I guess I could alter the sizing to make it non-redundant but I tend to just surf one board in everything and the 6'4 Ghobra is working well.

Do I follow through and get the MOTE or just tell them forget it, hit up the next guy on the list?
play the long game. Keep the order, who knows what you be into or needing when it is finally ready?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Be a good patron of the pyramid and help out the guy in front of you waiting for his blank to be ordered.

:roflmao:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Had the same thing happen with someone I know. Ordered a Massive but as time went by it was lost in the mists of time. Then one bright day it arrived unheralded. He only kept it for a while. Turned out it didn't make him surf like Torren. Fancy that. He sold it on with plenty of custom heel dents to the next hopeful.

Last edited:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
A very ERBB dilemma:

You follow through, you buy the board, you wait forever, you get a little annoyed by the multiple mixup and delays, you grow your beard, you develop a topknot, you go on a spiritual journey to help you come to terms with the situation because you don't want to develop a prejudice against a board that you've never surfed, you start wearing travellers pants, you buy multiple tie-dye T-shirts, you realise yoga is good for you and there are loads of hot chicks in the classes, you start eating overnight oatmeal with almond milk, pumpkin seeds and craisins, you consider quitting alcohol to cleanse your soul, you start writing poetry, you draw pictures of flowers, you do a load of other stuff, but YOU FKUCING BUY THE BOARD, MAN!

Then years from now, when the board arrives, you quite like it.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
You follow through, you buy the board, you wait forever, you get a little annoyed by the multiple mixup and delays, you grow your beard, you develop a topknot, you go on a spiritual journey to help you come to terms with the situation because you don't want to develop a prejudice against a board that you've never surfed, you start wearing travellers pants, you buy multiple tie-dye T-shirts, you realise yoga is good for you and there are loads of hot chicks in the classes, you start eating overnight oatmeal with almond milk, pumpkin seeds and craisins, you consider quitting alcohol to cleanse your soul, you start writing poetry, you draw pictures of flowers, you do a load of other stuff, but YOU FKUCING BUY THE BOARD, MAN!

Then years from now, when the board arrives, you quite like it.
You stalking me:cool: