Morning High Tides

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
These have been killing the 9-5ers game all fall and winter. Can anyone explain why the high tides have been happening primarily in the mornings rather than rotating through a 24 hour period?

I could consult a scientific source, by why do that with access to the erBB braintrust?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Tides are cause by gravity due to mass of the moon and sun and are influenced by lots of variables.

Biggest variable is sun/moon rising and setting. Moon has more gravitational effects than the sun by a long shot and retrogrades in relation to a stationary earthling by about 50 minutes a day. More or less, the pattern repeats every two weeks.

So there is a a lump of water moving about 600 miles an hour following the moon, with certain harmonic aspects to it like the nodes of a plucked guitar string, and in short, there is your answer.

Perhaps a visual will help the resonance side of things:

1640908339527.png

PS

This is me thinking about it. Feel free to show me my errors when you look up the real answer.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
High tides always in the morning in winter, no? They move to evening in summer. Wish Bohter was here to answer this one...
doesn't it change every week? :roflmao:

maybe you're confusing it with the days worth checking having high tides in the AM o_O

Reactions: bluengreen

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Always rotating. But a 3.5 foot high tide at 4 am will affect your session differently than a 6.5 high tide at 8am.

I've been having a great winter, not complaining. Must be being retired and going when the tide is medium. Tomorrow around 8:30 or 9. :waving:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It changes almost like clockwork. Storms and bathymetry/landmasses/currents affect it.

There is something called a seiche which is more a thing on lakes or enclosed bodies of water, but there's like a million little seiche-like almost tsunami-like refractions happening in the oceans at any given time.. They are largely noticeable, more than largely, you will never notice these but my point is the myriad of stuff happening on a local and even ocean wide scales at any given time to potentially complicate things.

I think, its like smoke and mirrors illusion if the tides seem to fluctuate from regularity,. Correct me if I'm wrong. Please.

As a kid I used to duck hunt on a tidal river, and the projected times of high tide did fluctuate but generally high tide was an hour and 13 minutes later every day than the day before at least during that duck season on that river.

Tidal waters can get "pent-up" behind a promontory landmass, and then when it gets to a certain height, only then will it continue to spread, which will then affect features down the line in a now, uneven fashion.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but many of you can think for yourselves. Am I wrong?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I can remember this extreme morning high tides, afternoon extreme low tides in the winter pretty much like clock-work forever.

Big high tides during very large swells do tremendous coastal damage/erosion. El Nino 82/83 had huge 15-20ft WSW swells coinciding with full moon or new moon king tides of the year. Result was every pier in So Cal damaged or destroyed. Normally protected south facing shores (Malibu, Ventura/SB coasts) had homes wiped off the coast in a few areas and points.

We could have a huge swell, but if tides are not extreme during the event, coastal damage/erosion is minimal if any at all.

My local spot in South Bay would go off on the minus tides during those storms. We lived for those combo big storms and minus tides. Need to not depend on AM surfs in the winter, and focus on the mid-late afternoon minus tides with protected or slack wind windows.:waving:

If it's big enough, tides don't usually matter much anyway. It's those small-medium swells that suffer the high tide.

Last edited:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Rotational Precession. Is the North Pole facing the sun or on the far side. This is what changes the time of day for the extreme tides.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
years ago i had a place i could surf alone on hi tide mornings and have fun
nowadays too many kunts found out about it and brought all their friends so its always packed now
this spot cant hold 2 friends comfortably

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Never thought about harmonics and tides @Mr Doof

Winter starts around king tides. I always thought that was a winter/summer thing and the sun. Fall and spring being the moderate tide seasons.

maybe I’m making this up.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
These winter high tides kill my motivation to surf. Add in the upper 30/low 40s air temps and I am not interested. I could go surf crowded Blacks or Cliffs mid day but also not interested.

Reactions: MathDebater

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
“I’ll take what happens to Surfers when they rely on the internet instead of looking at Analog Tide Calanders which have an uncanny ability to predict preciely what the tides will be every minute for the coming year…..for $1000 Alex” :drowning::):waving:

Last edited: