More tragedy for the Aikau family

ratfink

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 15, 2008
Texas Gulf de Mexico
Gerald Aikau murder suicide
PAUOA (HawaiiNewsNow) -
Domestic violence advocates say the killing of a 7-year-old boy at the hands of his father in Pauoa on Tuesday could have been prevented.

Police say Reef Aikau was stabbed to death by his father, Gerald, who later hanged himself.

Gerald Aikau was legendary waterman Eddie Aikau's nephew.

Court records show Reef Aikau's mother is traveling this summer in Europe on a trip she fought for him to take as well.

The documents also show that Gerald Aikau had a history of family abuse, and that he and his wife, Katherine, were in the middle of a bitter divorce and custody battle for their son.

Damn, how incredibly sad. Poor kid...

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
That's the cowards way out; kill your kid to hurt your wife and then kill yourself.

I feel so sad for that kid.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
That is so insanely sad. For everyone there. no winners in this situation :frown2:

RIP :bawling:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I cannot imagine what the mom and family are going through.

RIP little man. :(

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
A personal Friend. His other Son lives around the corner from me. He worked here on Kaua'i as a painter. A bit of a wild child, surfed Hanalei for a year or two and moved back to Oahu. I"ve known Gerald since he was a grom on the beach.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he would go to such an extreme as taking his Son's life in such a horrible self serving manner to get back at his wife.

It's phucked, because we're all left to pick up the piece's and weep ~
No anger management what so ever ~
Another paddle out, but one that you walk away from
Not feeling good about yourself what so ever

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
ugh...I've had a pretty stressful, sad kind of year, but man, is this horrible

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Pretty horrible story. I can't imagine what's going through someones head to make them want to kill their young kid for any reason much less using the kid as a pawn to get back at his wife, Condolences to family and friends.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
So f'n messed up. Poor kid... Thoughts and prayers to the mom and family, can't imagine.