More theories on Insta

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
@griffinsurfboard Whats your opinion on the edge boards?
Never tried one and doesn't really make sense to me. Seems like it would skip as it hits the edge transition when you go to put the board hard on rail.
Pyzel has great sucess with his templates that reduce area , like his Ghost sparking many others to follow .
Most edge boards reduce the planing area reduction to almost none - losing all the good that comes with it , for "The Feel" ;-)

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
This is the Andreini I had. Vaquero with a square tail that is pulled in a little. I don't think this is the type of board Greg is referring to, but maybe not enough area loss for his liking. Edge Resized.jpg

Andreini 2.jpg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@feralseppo So the idea is when you're planing, you effectively have a narrower board... but at low (displacement) speed or when paddling, you have the benefits of a wider board??
Or I guess when you say like a knife, the edge cuts into the wave face when trimming?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
That is the claim. Greenough said he came up with the concept so he could surf Grade B waves because the Grade A waves got too crowded. The rail cuts through the wave face and it seems to go through chop well. The rail also feels like it provides extra hold and keeps the single fin from spinning out. One of the funnest sessions I had on the board was surfing walled up beach break that were mostly close outs and the board flew across the walls and held.

Reactions: oeste858

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Of planing area

A shortboard 6' x 19" reduces to around 14" at 1' - thats 5" in 2 feet

A already parralel "edge" board will reduce its plane only 1" to 2" in a much longer distance

Well designed rails - without the -edge design -will make that shape work even better by keeping what area change - reduction- is in the template