Month long Central America or Mexico trip?

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some advice, where would you take your family (wife and 4 kids) on a month long vacation/surf trip? We were gonna do Panama, but logistics, and travel time were an issue with the kids (7years to 6 months.) We would be leaving from SFO, so I'm looking for something pretty simple, in regards to connecting flights, and obviously somewhere safe. I was kinda thinking, Troncones, or Costa Rica, maybe even Todos Santos? Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks again.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't see the travel time to Costa Rica being any different than Panama. Lots of direct flights to Panama City on Copa, so if anything its one of the quicker destinations. That said, Mexico is probably faster than anywhere in Centro.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
The one thing about Panama was the 5 plus hour car drive, on top of the time it takes to rent a car with 4 kids, that will most likely be in various stages of melting down?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The one thing about Panama was the 5 plus hour car drive, on top of the time it takes to rent a car with 4 kids, that will most likely be in various stages of melting down?
5 hour drive to where? Catalina? You don't need to drive that far. Do some more research.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah I hear you. I don't have kids, but I remember being one and driving my parents nuts on long car rides lol. Depending on the month there are options closer to the capital. Otherwise, yes, Mexico or somewhere in the Guanacaste could be a better call.

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
We only have 1 child but travelled to MX/Costa Rica every year since she was a new born. We spend anywhere from 1-3 months and when she was younger we put her in school in Todos Santos. When she got older (11 now) we started going to Costa Rica because there is so much to do for kids (and adults)

Flying to Cabo and driving to TS or Cerritos is about as easy as it gets from SFO. Flying to Liberia and renting a car to Guanacaste is a bit longer but if well planned very reasonable. This year I drove the Baja for a month in November and we head to Nosara for a couple weeks in March. Flying to PV is pretty easy too, haven't been to Troncones yet, but enjoyed Punta Mita and loathed Sayulita...

Travelling with kids is awesome, but takes a ton of patience (and snacks, lots of snacks...) Good luck!

Reactions: grapedrink

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the responses, and suggestions. I think I've talked my wife into Costa Rica for a destination, and going the route you suggested, flying to Liberia and driving to Guiones. It does seem like there will be more stuff for the kids to do there, and we'll be closer to stores markets (diapers, and everything else that goes along with traveling with small children.)

The Todos Santos/Cerritos trip does sound like it could be really fun as well, and an easy trip. I really wanted to get the kids into the jungle, to see some of that wildlife, Toucans, sloths, snakes, crocs, monkeys, sea turtlles, and all the rest. I've only been to Sayulita once, but that was enough for me too. Troncones on the other hand was really fun, we stayed at The Inn at Manzanillo Bay, and had some fun surf right out front, and at the Ranch.

Thanks again

Reactions: grapedrink

SMG

Jul 8, 2006
Guiones is the perfect family destination, we absolutely love it! You can walk everywhere and surf on all tides. A car may or may not be necessary, there's shuttles to/from the airport and you can use tuk tuks to get around town. The beach and inside is super fun for kids and the wildlife and jungle are awesome. There's a couple day camp options that my daughter loves. Nosara Day Camp is fantastic and takes kids from 3-12 with all sorts of eco and local activities. Ziplines, mountain bikes, waterfalls, turtles, monkeys, plenty for everyone. We can't wait for our trip in March.

We've been the last 3 or 4 years always in the fall which is a great time to visit. This will be my first trip in the dry season so I'm excited to see the contrast, and potentially bigger surf...There are countless stay options; with a family, a rental house is ideal and there are plenty to choose from. Town is divided into sections, we usually stay in section G, but J or K are the other sections closest to the beach. South side will have more kid and beginner friendly surf than the north side.

Open to other suggestions from anyone else who's spent time there. I'm looking at real estate so I'm looking for any other feedback from the collective. Saludos!

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
You're gonna drop coin in CR tho. It's gotten to be the most spendy destination in Centro IMO

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
cant loose with Nosara great town been there a few times
I have a question for you about Manzanillo inn I am looking for someplace different been to Central America so many times looking to get to Mexico only have done Cabo.
How is Tracones? I will be going w my GF who is a beginner/intermediate would be nice to surf something beside pounding beach breaks with her and nothing too crowded anyway ony info car rental agency recommendations would be great

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Manzanillo Inn was great, and there is a left right out front. It's kind of a funky take off, but you should be able to sort it out in a couple of sessions, there are other fun waves too, Saladita isnt to far away, and the ranch. We kinda lucked out our first trip, we went off season (the week before Thanksgiving,) so Troncones was basically empty, we would sometimes be the only couple at restaurant on the beach, and scored some fun waves.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
cant loose with Nosara great town been there a few times
I have a question for you about Manzanillo inn I am looking for someplace different been to Central America so many times looking to get to Mexico only have done Cabo.
How is Tracones? I will be going w my GF who is a beginner/intermediate would be nice to surf something beside pounding beach breaks with her and nothing too crowded anyway ony info car rental agency recommendations would be great
Waves are fun, not epic. FIsh/longboard is probably the call. Really chill little village. Not far from the airport and Zihuat debauchery.