Money vs. Time or. Time vs. Money

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The quintessential question?

Two short tales an economics professor from college shared that marked me and I often share with those struggling with this dilema.

1-) imagine you own everything, in the entire world. you have one second left to live, no matter how much you are willing to part with, it's that one second. most would welcome just one more minute of a well lived life, over all the riches in the world. one second of your time, creativity, soul, etc... is more valuable than all the monies in the world.

2-) the one about the central american fisherman who would take the rich northerner out each year deep sea fishing on his sole boat. one year, after many seasons, the rich northerner offered the fisherman financing so that he could expand his fleet of boats, maybe invest in some fish farming, etc... when he was done his 'pitch', the fisherman asked the wealthy man, "why would I want to do all that?". the rich man responded, more boats, more charters. more charters, more money. more money, invest in fish farm. fish farm producing and boats working, you can retire and go fish every day, and not have it be work, but rather recreation. the fisherman looked at the northerner sideways, and chuckled. when asked why, he responded, "i already go fishing every day. you look at it as my work because you pay me and you are used to get what you pay for. me? i just change my perspective and see what you see as work, as my personal daily dose of recreation. work is when I go home to my wife!".

:roflmao::shameonyou::monkey:.

So, Money before Time, or Time before Money?

What say the great minds of the erBB trust?

Surf related because, more time equals more surfing. But more money, equals more surf toys.

:waving:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Regarding #2. I was addicted to fishing. Went and got my captain's license. The first couple of years of running charters was awesome. Had good clients on my own boat and was running a beautiful offshore battlewagon when they needed me. Fishing at its finest with a clientele of dedicated fishermen set up through a local tackle store.

A couple of years in I was introduced to the president of a major corporation in Philadelphia who was looking for a captain. The money was fantastic and it was a brand new boat. Seemed like an awesome opportunity and I jumped on it. In the 6 years I ran his boats he upgraded to new bigger boats twice more which I got to outfit. Only one problem. The clientele. This being a corporate boat I was not fishing with die hard fishermen who were looking for the trip of a lifetime. I was usually fishing with greenhorns and often people who really didn't even want to be there. These were guests of the corporation who sometimes were thrilled to be there and sometimes really didn't want to be there at all.....they were obligated. As such it was a constant stream of people who didn't know how to fish and people who got seasick. It was also the owner of the corporation setting the game plan based on accommodating people rather than me setting the game plan based on catching fish. Rather than leaving the dock by 4am to be on the fishing grounds in time for the morning bite we'd be leaving the dock at 7am if we were lucky and we'd arrive on the grounds several hours after the morning bite was over. This irritated me more than anything as not catching fish is not enjoyable and its not good for your reputation as a captain. It went from being paid to do what I loved and what I would have gladly done for free to work that I dreaded over the course of six years. After six years I was totally burned out on it and my desire for offshore fishing had been killed.

Moral of the story is be careful if you turn something you really love into work.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Balance
Enough money to use your time the way you want
Making adjustments along the way
Because that can take a ton of money
Which sometimes takes a lot of time to make
At least for regular people
Extraordinary people may approach this differently

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Great question. I believe it depends on what you do with the time. Example - middle aged man pays a kid to mow his lawn because "his time is more valuable". While the kid mows the lawn - the man sits on the couch watching tv eating cheetos ... losing out on the benefits of getting some fresh air, exercise, etc.

Reactions: jimmycrab and tacos

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
I'm about to give up money for time. It's called retirement. My income will be 40% of what it is now (and it ain't much now). I could wait 2, 5 or 10 years and have more money, but I value the time much, much more.
i took early retirement last April....2020 was the best year of my adult life because of that decision. don't have as much money but damn, i love not having a job :cheers:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
No kids here, if I can have 8-10 good to great more years, I’m out. And I don’t hate my job, but it’s still clients, and haggling, and managers and CEO’s etc. I would also be able to absorb an income loss by then, especially if certain other things get off the ground too

Reactions: grapedrink

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Great question. I believe it depends on what you do with the time. Example - middle aged man pays a kid to mow his lawn because "his time is more valuable". While the kid mows the lawn - the man sits on the couch watching tv eating cheetos ... losing out on the benefits of getting some fresh air, exercise, etc.
Do kids still mow lawns?

Reactions: flyinraptr

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Time and money are both (usually) limited resources
When young it seems we have more time than money, as we get older it seems to change and we have more money than time.
The one thing nobody knows is how much time they really have...

nice to see some of y’all have taken early retirement.
I retired a couple years ago at 59, could have worked longer , made more $$, but I can make it work so why do it?
Glad to have my days free to do what I want and not have to deal with the BS around a job

Reactions: Mr Doof

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
.And I don’t hate my job, but it’s still clients, and haggling, and managers and CEO’s etc. I would also be able to absorb an income loss by then, especially if certain other things get off the ground too
I always enjoyed the heart of my job - IT field work, solving problems for a living - but yeah, the clients and the managers and the directors and the processes...and the metrics and the fires you out put out every day and all the reports and the numbers and the lists you wanted to be on and the lists you didn't want to be on and all the corporate minutiae to pay attention to and all the rabbits you pulled out of your hat to solve problems, every day, for 27 years. And on that last day, all that silly bullshit ceases to exist. Poof, none of it matters the day you check out - it is stunning. Like landing on an entirely new and wonderful planet where you can do whatever you want, stay up as late as you want, wear whatever you want, have no one to call, no meetings, no "action required" emails, etc etc. highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Time over Money honey.

In the end, Money is just painted pieces of paper, and really, lately, not even that... just digital entries, in a virtual space.

Time is everything. As only those who have faced death and come back really know.

That final second, all you want is more Time.

Young? Sure, plenty of Time, enough to waste even... Tell that to Jay Moriarty, or his wife.

Time. Every single Time!!!

:shameonyou:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Time over Money honey.

In the end, Money is just painted pieces of paper, and really, lately, not even that... just digital entries, in a virtual space.

Time is everything. As only those who have faced death and come back really know.

That final second, all you want is more Time.

Young? Sure, plenty of Time, enough to waste even... Tell that to Jay Moriarty, or his wife.

Time. Every single Time!!!

:shameonyou:
Yeah, sure
But have you ever done a family ski/snowboard trip for a few days with no money?
Personally, I don’t need a lot of stuff, but som of the tings I like to do with my time cost more money than someone with no money can afford
Balance
The elusive ever changing goal

Reactions: tacos

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
You need the fine balance - don't wont to be broke but don't want to have to grind - nice having enough of both - have found if you keep your overhead low you can have both

time is the most valuable resource - today was trying to explain to my kid who doesn't want to go back to the jungle for 6 months that age is creeping up on me and i need to get after it while i am still hungry - clock is ticking

as i have aged i have been called Princess Paddy - still can go feral w the best of them but also enjoy high thread count sheets and ac - balance

its nice to be able to have the money and time to rotate bw both lifestyles
balance