Modernized 80s Shortboards

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
These are nice, too. I had a good fondle of one last winter in Byron, and a really nice chat to Eden who's the shaper. Good dude.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Who should I look to in order to get a modernized version of an 80s/early 90s pre potato chip thruster shaped?
I dont know if it's the way the foam is distributed, the flat deck or the down rails but these boards have always worked pretty well for me. They're just so neutral and predictable. Had a Byrne Gary Elkerton model with a squash that I just couldn't keep patching up anymore. Picked up an old Takayama HPD shortboard on craigslist for next to nothing a few years back, put a good amount of work into it and it's tons of fun in the chest to overhead range.
I know it was mentioned above, but you should consider Gary Linden - his thrusters in the mid 80's, were the most-user friendly, ever.

Reactions: GromsDad

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Picked up a Rad Ripper off the rack about 2 years ago and cant get off of it. Been a really good weekly (cause I don't surf on the daily) driver shortboard for me. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Light Speed version.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Grabbed this 5 or 6 weeks ago. I was in discussions with Simon about ordering a custom but then this came up. Dude ordered it, waxed it but never rode it. Saved myself a bunch. Having an absolute blast on this thing.
C9875BC7-DD20-49AF-98E6-61208C6F55CC.jpeg

Last edited:

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Picked up a Rad Ripper off the rack about 2 years ago and cant get off of it. Been a really good weekly (cause I don't surf on the daily) driver shortboard for me. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Light Speed version.
I grabbed one last summer and it's so fun. I've had two new boards since then and I don't even ride them. Honestly ruined all my other boards. So fun even if I've been out of the water for a bit.