Modernized 80s Shortboards

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Who should I look to in order to get a modernized version of an 80s/early 90s pre potato chip thruster shaped?
I dont know if it's the way the foam is distributed, the flat deck or the down rails but these boards have always worked pretty well for me. They're just so neutral and predictable. Had a Byrne Gary Elkerton model with a squash that I just couldn't keep patching up anymore. Picked up an old Takayama HPD shortboard on craigslist for next to nothing a few years back, put a good amount of work into it and it's tons of fun in the chest to overhead range.
The best boards I rode in that era in NJ surf were shaped by Richard Price for Natural Art Surfboards. If you remember Todd Holland from back in the day that is who was shaping his boards for a good chunk of his career and then I think he went to Linden. He is still shaping under his own label these days. His boards often had a lot of V in them back then which is what I attributed their fantastic performance to. https://www.facebook.com/richpricesurfdesigns/

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
He's on a Linden in this video. Worth noting that Curren was riding a 6'9 in the heat on that video. We all rode longer boards back then compared to today. My daily driver was 3" taller than my height.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Find the videos of Gerlach VS Holland
Gerlach riding his narrow Xandu and Holland on his wider more reasonable Linden

Gerlach surfed really well on his Lindens then moved to these narrow Xanadu's
Gerlach was a threat to Curren on those Lindens

Brewer told Pat and I he had 2 great guys building his boards back then , Linden was the main one .

Last edited:
Reactions: retodd

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Just thinking out loud ,,,, next stab in the dark or electric acid test or Noah Salsa review should be all modern 80's boars

Anyone remember the vid with Ozzie Wright surfing all them old twin fins , now look at him ? One step behind asher

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I'm assuming NJ from your handle. Lost or Rusty should be fairly easy to find/order through a local shop in your neck of the woods. Or NJ shaper Rozbern should be able to make what you want. Looks like he has a full range of models on his site.
Yup. There's a few guys up here shaping nice boards and Wynn down south. I'm sure they are more than capable but ideally I'd prefer to get one done by someone who's been refining them as an established model in their lineup rather than a one off.

The best boards I rode in that era in NJ surf were shaped by Richard Price for Natural Art Surfboards. If you remember Todd Holland from back in the day that is who was shaping his boards for a good chunk of his career and then I think he went to Linden. He is still shaping under his own label these days. His boards often had a lot of V in them back then which is what I attributed their fantastic performance to.
Not old enough to remember that. Started as a kid in the late 90s on funboards and hand me down 70s singles, luckily I never got into an disillusioned by the potato chips everyone was on then

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Yup. There's a few guys up here shaping nice boards and Wynn down south. I'm sure they are more than capable but ideally I'd prefer to get one done by someone who's been refining them as an established model in their lineup rather than a one off.

Not old enough to remember that. Started as a kid in the late 90s on funboards and hand me down 70s singles, luckily I never got into an disillusioned by the potato chips everyone was on then
I'm talking pre-potato chip in the post you replied to.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Rusty 1984
I thought that their 2018 model the Mi Amigo was based on the 1984, but cant find the quote now. At any rate it seems to fit the 'modernized 80's shortboard' moniker.

Like the OP mentions... foam distribution, flat deck, squash tail.

Rusty Surfboards said:
The last 12 inches of the board is where the rail gets blocky and the deck gets progressively flatter as it comes to the block. The block is approximately .25 of an inch thicker than the norm, which is roughly .5 of an inch. This slightly thicker tail block and its square contour helps to keep the tail higher in the water and the angular contours release water more efficiently.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2008
Been wanting to try one of these myself

Reactions: need 4 speed

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I've got a brand new '84 in xtr sitting in the garage. It mind surfs really well! Would love to tell you how it actually goes.

I think Rusty updated the file and the new ones have just the slightest (i mean, minuscule) hint of single concave, they are no longer simply flat to vee like it says on the website.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I've got a brand new '84 in xtr sitting in the garage. It mind surfs really well! Would love to tell you how it actually goes.

I think Rusty updated the file and the new ones have just the slightest (i mean, minuscule) hint of single concave, they are no longer simply flat to vee like it says on the website.
Those Occy boards had a bottom contour
I guess it was forgotten

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Those Occy boards had a bottom contour
I guess it was forgotten

Around 1973 Richard Brewer started to use a slight Tri Plane to Vee then flat out the back bottom
Mixing slight concaves in certin areas at times
Most top shapers made their variations of this and used them till the late 80's
Rusty was one of them

Its interesting none mention this .

This Errb hates knowledge -

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Big Fred , Freddy p's dad came by and i had him run his hand across this bottom
He could feel it accelerating towards the tail
Shocked he asked Why aren't they promoting this !
I laughed - way more to that story ; -)
Big Fred running his hand over your bottom, GG? Showing him your 80s thruster?

This forum gets stranger every day.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Just thinking out loud ,,,, next stab in the dark or electric acid test or Noah Salsa review should be all modern 80's boars

Anyone remember the vid with Ozzie Wright surfing all them old twin fins , now look at him ? One step behind asher
I would like it to move away from the Big 3 or 5 Brands. Its lame they look and touch them and already know what they are most of the time. That messes the whole thing up right out of the gate.