Modernized 80s Shortboards

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Who should I look to in order to get a modernized version of an 80s/early 90s pre potato chip thruster shaped?
I dont know if it's the way the foam is distributed, the flat deck or the down rails but these boards have always worked pretty well for me. They're just so neutral and predictable. Had a Byrne Gary Elkerton model with a squash that I just couldn't keep patching up anymore. Picked up an old Takayama HPD shortboard on craigslist for next to nothing a few years back, put a good amount of work into it and it's tons of fun in the chest to overhead range.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Who should I look to in order to get a modernized version of an 80s/early 90s pre potato chip thruster shaped?
I dont know if it's the way the foam is distributed, the flat deck or the down rails but these boards have always worked pretty well for me. They're just so neutral and predictable. Had a Byrne Gary Elkerton model with a squash that I just couldn't keep patching up anymore. Picked up an old Takayama HPD shortboard on craigslist for next to nothing a few years back, put a good amount of work into it and it's tons of fun in the chest to overhead range.
Tim Stamps

http://instagr.am/p/B61oBViJw4z/
That board is mine btw- even better than the Grinder Xs I've loved so much before

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Lots of good suggestions here....Not being in CA/shipping is the limiting factor here, even if shops were open these aren't really off the rack kind of boards

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I had a beat up Rusty Occy model as a kid in the 90s ....might have even been shaped by parmenter.
Also had this trashed 80s ron jon board about 10 years ago that I got for $10. Had a shallow channels in the belly. Went really good

Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Lots of good suggestions here....Not being in CA/shipping is the limiting factor here, even if shops were open these aren't really off the rack kind of boards
I'm assuming NJ from your handle. Lost or Rusty should be fairly easy to find/order through a local shop in your neck of the woods. Or NJ shaper Rozbern should be able to make what you want. Looks like he has a full range of models on his site.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Roberts has free shipping in USA on all customs on the website right now. I think R. is still having a sale of $100 off customs which could cover the extra cost of shipping.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
surely something was learned from the 90s blades? Rails?

now we combine the volume w the rails and mix it for a combo of both.

forgiving performance ?

Reactions: waxfoot and Aruka