Modern-ish twin?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just out of curiosity who was the first pro to use a twin, quad, or unconventional shape post "momentum generation" in a heat? I know Dane Reynolds use the MTF in France in 09ish, did Wardo ever ride twins or quads in heats when he was on tour?
Quads were being ridden to wins in big tubes before Dane was on tour.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I think I was pretty clear but ill dive a bit deeper. I understand the theory....you weight the frontside and backside rails differently because of body mechanics and posture. At face value it makes sense. When you apply some critical thought and experience you know this isn't true. Adjusting posture is the simplest and most automatic thing we do. You do it with every step you take. With surfing, as we gain experience by surfing at some point you don't have to think about it. At a point though you are going to reach the limits of your God given ability and there's not a fix to that. We can't all be Kelly Slater so we just enjoy what we have.

With board design, you want a board as symmetrical as possible. Water flow depends on it. When you start adding turbulence under the tail by creating high and low pressure differentials by differing fin placement, bottom contours, area loss, and tail shape you are reducing performance. For a surfboard to work you need flow and lift in order for it to plane and turn. Is the answer to some subjective performance deficiency on one half of the surfboard to make the better half worse? That's what the asymmetrical design does. It arbitrarily takes performance away from one side to match the subjectively worse side. Even if we assume that symmetrical surfboards have a performance advantage on one side...I'll take every advantage I can get and work harder on the bad side. This is all conjecture though because dynamically asymmetrical surfboards reduce performance on both sides.

You used snowboards as an example. I don't snowboard so I can't comment on snowboard design but can say that while there is some skillset crossover between snowboarding and surfing, there is nothing similar about how you would design the board for each, obviously. The mediums are radically different.

At the end of the days these are toys and you get enjoyment from riding different styles and shapes of surfboards and the experience and challenges each offers I'm sure there are asymmetrical surfboards that are an absolute blast to ride....but the claim that asymmetrical surfboards are a leap forward or a cure for some performance deficiency, WHICH IS THE CLAIM is absurd and stupid.
100% agree. Well put on explaining the design aspects at play (flow, lift). I think a good bottom turn, proper weight distribution and the right fin would cure anyone's problem going backside on a twin. I dont see the problem in going backside on a twin other than the surfer not being used to it.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm not an expert on asymmetrical surfboards (obviously) but if this is a true representation....which I believe it is, than you and Greg aren't in agreement.

Have I referenced either of those boards? I posted a video of Dane riding one as an example of how well they work (for him).

The only specific boards I spoke of were my mixed fin fish and a board that is only asym with bottom contours and fin placement, not outline.

I have referenced ‘bad’ asym designs but purposefully did not name any specific shapers.

So once again you are conflating less than ideal representations of a design to poo poo the entire design concept.

That’s like taking Greenough‘s high aspect ratio fin design, putting it in your board backward and saying this fin is ‘stupid’.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Have I referenced either of those boards? I posted a video of Dane riding one as an example of how well they work (for him).

The only specific boards I spoke of were my mixed fin fish and a board that is only asym with bottom contours and fin placement, not outline.

I have referenced ‘bad’ asym designs but purposefully did not name any specific shapers.

So once again you are conflating less than ideal representations of a design to poo poo the entire design concept.

That’s like taking Greenough‘s fin high aspect ratio fin design, putting it in your board backward and saying this fin is ‘stupid’.
Settle down. You never represented anything. I'm using what I believe to be the generally accepted idea of an asymmetrical surfboard. There has only been one posted in this thread and I think these photos represent it.. If this isn't what you consider to be an asymmetrical surfboard than we've been talking past each other. No reason to get excited.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Settle down. You never represented anything. I'm using what I believe to be the generally accepted idea of an asymmetrical surfboard. There has only been one posted in this thread and I think these photos represent it.. If this isn't what you consider to be an asymmetrical surfboard than we've been talking past each other. No reason to get excited.
It is an asym board, obviously. You do realize there are many different ways to make them?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Because of how the judges perceive them, not because of any specific performance shortcomings.
ahh...its the judges forcing professional surfers to use substandard equipment because.....well no one knows why, just because. Like every beer league softball player will tell you it was his high school coaches fault he didn't make the major leagues. :ROFLMAO:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
ahh...its the judges forcing professional surfers to use substandard equipment because.....well no one knows why, just because. Like every beer league softball player will tell you it was his high school coaches fault he didn't make the major leagues. :ROFLMAO:
Nice mischaracterization.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
At one point, under the ASP, tour surfers were pretty concerned with being underscored if they rode anything fishy/alternative/stubby. (as I remember they even sent all the competitors a letter stating such) Someplace in the 90's I rediscovered some 80's grovel boards and had new versions made. One tiny afternoon a certain tiny pro paddled out and asked me what I was riding. I showed him. He laughed. "That's a cheater."

"It seems to work."
"Yeah, but it's cheating."
"Ok. At this point I would just like to say that you are surfing really well for someone intentionally handicapping themself.”

The conversation eventually got hostile if you can believe that.

But yeah, I heard a number of pros say "I can't ride something like. They won't give me a score." There was a lot of resistance.

I credit the change in acceptability to Dane Reynolds and that whole Dumpster Diver/WD thing. They couldn't deny him. That was what 2009-10? Small wave boards got shorter, rockers dropped.

I don't think ultra short stubby boards are a great visual in a subjective judging format. A 12 o'clock lip smack looks way more spectacular with some nose poking up there into the sky. IMHO. I think maybe the judging has moved past the prejudice now though.

None of that has anything to do with asymmetricals

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
There was an article I think in Surfermag around the time the fish first made its resurgence and I believe it was Machado that said riding a fish was cheating.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Would the masym by lost be the most widely distributed Asym to date?

iirc that one was jsut two tails, everything else the same?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Wade Tokoro made a design he calls the Project. It’s not fishy but it has a wider nose and lower rocker. Sorry don’t know the numbers but it’s flatter than the average hpsb. He made some boards for Kelly and Kelly’s manager told Wade to make one for himself with the SD logo and they would pay for it. Wade shaped it to look more hp. And Reo Inaba ended up with the board. He was hesitant to ride it in contests because of the wider nose and flat rocker. Believing he would get underscored by the judges. He was wrong and went on a tear at the beginning of last season staying in the top 25 of the QS for half the season, riding the “cheater” board.

It’s the board in the middle. The Ronin sticker is covering up the Slate Design logo.

http://instagr.am/p/B0Hb1ZFn-7t/