Modern-ish twin?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
His cripple right hand makes the whole aesthetic of his surfing look worse :/
It is freaky. Looks like he got a compound fracture and just kept surfing. You’d think for someone with so much video of himself surfing, that’d be an easy fix.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Agree super flat rocker never looked like something I’d properly sirf.

have seen some folks ripping on them in bowly beach breaks just fine, so maybe more than meets the eye, or archer not arrow.

the adult learners aren’t flocking to this one i dont think.
I can't believe I'm going to defend a board I don't own. But that's how little I want to listen to the conference call I'm on.

I hear everyone on the flat rocker thing. Just personal preference. I will say this is one of those boards that felt greater than the sum of it's parts. The V throughout made it really easy to roll on rail. And the rails are thinner than they look. So it was easy to engage them. And then the nice curvey outline took over.

A good comparison is probably the Lost Cali Twin. Same friend has that board and I've borrowed it a few times. It's fun, but it just feels like a small wave board. The nose is wider for the same stock 5'8 20.25, the rails are a little fuller and the rail line is a whole lot straighter. The fins are also about 1.25 farther forward; so it was playful as a 2+1, but felt off as a straight twin to me.

If you live someplace like Orange County the Black Baron is much more of an everyday board than a groveler IMO. But anyway, I just mention the experience because I'd never heard of it until my buddy showed up with one.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Nope, made for running keels, too. I did tell him I wanted to loosen up my TKF when ordering so maybe he pushed them a little forward, too?

in discussion he asked me what fins I was planning on running and I told him TA Hobies. He mentioned Hobies are good and I may also like his for a little variety since they both are “big” keels.

I measured the banjo with his template vs my TKF with glass-ons and placement was about the same.
what was the distance from trailing edge to swallowtail tip?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
what was the distance from trailing edge to swallowtail tip?
IIRC 7.5” on both the glass on tkf and my banjo with his big futures template.

the banjo might be at 7.75”. I don’t recall, that may have been with the hobie tenplate which makes sense.

Reactions: Havoc

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Looking for something like the Morning of the Earth twins that Simon Jones is doing like the Tracks Twin or the LBOH but something I can get in the US for less than a mortgage payment and the promise of my first child.

Specifically, a dedicated twin (no extra trailer), mid 5 foot, bit of a volume up front, not a ton in the tail, not too fishy. Something that will work in punchy east coast beach break rather than down the line fantasy point breaks.

Who's doing this type of board? I'm in the northeast, I don't have a local shaper.
We called them “Rocket Fishes”. Everyone had their own model. Now those same guys are riding “Whale Fishes”, but don't let ancient history get in the way

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr