Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
So I am considering moving into a mobile home

Anyone have experience with these ?

Mahaloz

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
What kine? Has wheels and engine, or wheels and a trailer hitch attachment?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
buying or renting? buying ain't getting a loan a little more restrictive?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/903-W-17th-St-SPC-84-Costa-Mesa-CA-92627/2088643637_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

Buying

Mind is racing and guts are churning

Thanks 4 your words of wisdom fellas

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bad idea.

Unless you own the land it's sitting on.

If you're paying space rent I would imagine you're pretty fucked once the owner of the land decides he wants to sell.

The you're stuck with moving costs for the structure and looking at relocating your dwelling somewhere between San Bern'dino and Las Vegas.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Also I would add space rent in any desirable location is generally quite high. So while one may be able to pay cash, you're still paying space rent. And if you mortgage the place + paying space rent you're paying quite a bit monthly.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
ya u dont own the land it is on. so basically buy the home but can get booteded off the land at any time. also subject to land rental increases. better off in a small condo. at least u own the airspace lol

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Fuck I wish I was buying that instead of what I'm buying.

The only thing I've heard what you have to watch out for is the space rent on top of the mortgage. You'll own the home, but you won't own the land.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Tons of people getting kicked out of spaces around here due to huge rent increases when new owners bought the properties.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
With the future of CA being an end to any sort of reasonable residential zoning restrictions I would be very nervous if I owned any sort of manufactured housing but not the land underneath it.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
casa_mugrienta said:
With the future of CA being an end to any sort of reasonable residential zoning restrictions I would be very nervous if I owned any sort of manufactured housing but not the land underneath it.
how close that mobile park is to the beach and surrounded by $1 million listings

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
ifallalot said:

The only thing I've heard what you have to watch out for is the space rent on top of the mortgage. You'll own the home, but you won't own the land.

What are you buying?

A mobile home is an incredibly risky long term investment.

There's a reason they're affordable yet stay on the market forever.

When the land underneath them gets sold there's usually some attempt to mount a pointless legal battle.

Then everyone realizes their worst nightmare has come true and they pick up and leave.

There's always a few holdouts that have to be physically removed from the property.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
casa_mugrienta said:
Bad idea.

Unless you own the land it's sitting on.

If you're paying space rent I would imagine you're pretty fucked once the owner of the land decides he wants to sell.

The you're stuck with moving costs for the structure and looking at relocating your dwelling somewhere between San Bern'dino and Las Vegas.
no expert here but i think there are strict laws in place in CA that make it very difficult for the owner of the land to shut down the park and sell the land. i also think anyone in the park if such a sale moves forward is entitled to relocation expenses.

obslop

Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
casa_mugrienta said:
i see a rebooted SB 50 is percolating through the legislature.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
casa_mugrienta said:
ifallalot said:

What are you buying?

A mobile home is an incredibly risky long term investment.

There's a reason they're affordable yet stay on the market forever.

When the land underneath them gets sold there's usually some attempt to mount a pointless legal battle.

Then everyone realizes their worst nightmare has come true and they pick up and leave.

There's always a few holdouts that have to be physically removed from the property.
Oh, I know all the risks it more of a location and price thing. And that's why I'm going where I"m going

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
stu dog said:
casa_mugrienta said:
how close that mobile park is to the beach and surrounded by $1 million listings

Doesn't matter.

Million dollar dwellings in my neighborhood and some pretty basic restrictions went poof overnight.

Especially if you live in a "transportation corridor" high rises and no place to park are your future.

Sacramento has plans to override zoning restrictions statewide and imposing "maximum minumums" of 8 - 10 stories.

They didn't get it through last year, but they've reworked it for this year.

Eventually some version will pass.

One party control in CA so no one has to answer to contituents as much and most people just vote straight ticket so some version will eventually go through.