MLB 2022

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
You sound kind of bitter. Roberts led the team to win their division 6 of his 7 years, 3 pennants, one World Series. Not bad in my book.

Oh, and I'll remind the Padres fans- Pennants- LA-24, SD-2 World Series- Dodgers 7, SD-0
bitter? all the talent in the world and gross mismanagement, along with failure to execute? not bitter!

everyone likes ot tongue roberts in the culo...but people forget mattingly got them there thre times right before. roberts is liek the jackarse kid who was given a mercedes by his father to drive at 16 yrs old. sh!thead didnt earn the ride....dave never earned those postseason appearances. the ring? FAKE. 60 games isn't a season.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
bitter? all the talent in the world and gross mismanagement, along with failure to execute? not bitter!

everyone likes ot tongue roberts in the culo...but people forget mattingly got them there thre times right before. roberts is liek the jackarse kid who was given a mercedes by his father to drive at 16 yrs old. sh!thead didnt earn the ride....dave never earned those postseason appearances. the ring? FAKE. 60 games isn't a season.
OK.

I guess I never understood anger directed at the managers. It's not like they're on themound or at the plate. I tend to attribute success or failure to the players, and sometimes to pure luck. But I know jack. Not a year round pro sports addict...

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
OK.

I guess I never understood anger directed at the managers. It's not like they're on themound or at the plate. I tend to attribute success or failure to the players, and sometimes to pure luck. But I know jack. Not a year round pro sports addict...

Claims harder than the entire brazillian leg of the Challenger Series

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
You sound kind of bitter. Roberts led the team to win their division 6 of his 7 years, 3 pennants, one World Series. Not bad in my book.

Oh, and I'll remind the Padres fans- Pennants- LA-24, SD-2 World Series- Dodgers 7, SD-0
let's stop focusing on the past, and try and live in the present buddy

Reactions: EntropyFletch

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
OK.

Managers don't run the teams anymore - it's more the front office...They are more of a Vice Principal at your local middle school.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Not a Dodger’s fan but……

Is it the manager’s (Robert’s) fault for the 4 games :

- When 32 base runners are LOB?
- 5 for 34 or .147 with RISP?
-When your 16-1 2.14 ERA pitcher for the regular season can only last 1.1 IP with a 6.75 ERA?
- When Mookie Betts .143, Cody B .143, Justin T .154, and Will Smith .188 hit below their weight?

Reactions: Subway

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Not a Dodger’s fan but……

Is it the manager’s (Robert’s) fault for the 4 games :

- When 32 base runners are LOB?
- 5 for 34 or .147 with RISP?
-When your 16-1 2.14 ERA pitcher for the regular season can only last 1.1 IP with a 6.75 ERA?
- When Mookie Betts .143, Cody B .143, Justin T .154, and Will Smith .188 hit below their weight?
Yeah OK, but I still don't get it. What could Roberts do to make Mookie hit the ball? Pat him on the back and whisper sweet nothings in his ear? Is the game won and lost on pep talks?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
In general, the manager can make a team worse but can't make a team better (unless replacing a manager who was making things worse).

They're just a scapegoat. Phillies fired their manager went on a run, Angels tried to do the same and got worse.

On the other hand, the player development coaches can sometimes make big differences.

But the actual managing of the game is more of don't mess up and hope the players get hits at the right time. Follow the analytics department plan on how to pitch the opposing team players.

in my opinion.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My point exactly. The game is won or lost on good pitching.
You don't need hitting?

So is Roberts a shiity manager who got lucky the years they won the pennants and the year they won the series? Which means it's all back to luck. I think I agree with Eastcoastbrah. Managers are easy scapegoats, There's only one, whereas there is a whole roster of players. It's kind of like blaming the whole game on the failure of a relief pitcher's one inning.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Don’t even know what channel the WS is on

meanwhile New York football teams are all wildly outplaying their pre season expectations

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I guess no one gives a f about the Astros and Phillies...yawn.
I'm only a 'Stros fan because I like Dusty...back in the day when he used to manage the Giants a friend of mine up here who knew Dusty when he was a kid in Riverside would get a group of us together and we'd go see a game at Candlestick. Then we'd wait in a parking lot near the park and Dusty would show up and we all had wrapped 'gifts' from Humboldt that we gave him. He told us that he, Matty (Williams), and Robby Thompson would go fishing and open those 'gifts' and have a good old time somewhere outside the gate. We took our son (now a lifelong rabid Giants fan) two years in a row and the second year Dusty was like "man, you sure have grown!" Put him right on a cloud...Dusty is cool, hope he gets a ring.

Reactions: warble2

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009

Los Angeles Dodgers- 1 legitimate World Series, 1988. 1981- strike shortened season. 2020- uuuh lol please.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot