Minor wound care, prevent the crater

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
When I was a teenager, it was pretty common to have friends who had open sores from scrapes resulting
from skate boarding or other mishaps. They were made worse by the effects of saltwater on the raw skin
to heal and some got quite deep. Now that I'm getting more water time I'm finding myself in the same situation.

A minor stubbed toe took quite a while to fill in and was dang painful in the process. A recent trip to the
dermatologist has left me with a nice dime size divot in my forearm that i have been coating with petroleum jelly.
After surfing yesterday I decided to stay out of the water for a while as it was looking quite raw.

Interesting how the little things can hold you back.

Is it best to let these things dry out on their own after an initial coating with Neosporin or petroleum jelly?

It seems that petroleum jelly only prolongs the healing process. Any tips to speed healing or stay in the
water without making it worse?

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Dermatologists-and the Mohs doctors- recommend vaseline for wound healing. It keeps the wound moist and prevents scab formation which leads to scarring. It may prolong the healing process, but it significantly reduces scarring.

I've had about ten Mohs procedures on my face with two different docs: they both recommended vaseline, as did my regular dermatologist. I had three procedures done in the last month. Over the years, I have learned to write off the 6-8 weeks afterwards in terms of getting in the water or sun.

But the Mohs procedures were on my face, where I wanted minimal scarring. Elsewhere on my body I really didn't care.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Good topic. Nexcare max hold waterproof bandages are a game changer. You might need to shave around the wound to get a perfect seal. Put some neosporin on the wound in case you get water in there but be real careful not to get it where the adhesive from the bandage will touch your skin. You can also buy clear waterproof film made to keep wounds waterproof and dry.

Hardest thing is when you've got an open reef cut on your foot on a surf trip. I've found no answer for that dilemma.

1661095522334.jpeg

Reactions: Aruka

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
funny I just went through this with a knee scuff (from skateboarding :roflmao:)Kept it covered with either neosporin or aquaphor with a bandage over it. I think that heals a little slower than just staying out of the water and keeping it dry but I found that this heals much faster, while still surfing a alot. Those craters get so annoyingly painful.

Reactions: PRCD

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Great topic! In Kauai right now and sliced my foot on the reef, good gash. Besides the lime juice is there anything else I need to prevent infection?

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
Great topic! In Kauai right now and sliced my foot on the reef, good gash. Besides the lime juice is there anything else I need to prevent infection?
Lime juice doesn't do sh!t. You need a 1:1 solution of hydorgen peroxide + water. Then get some liquid bandaid and seal them up. Duct tape over it if it's a big enough gash and you're desperate to surf.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
About an inch wide and deep enough to make the skin flap.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
So I shaved a patch around the crater and went with the Nexcare water proof band aid. So thanks for the tip. Although it
hasn't kept the area completely dry it kept the scab intact which has allowed the edges to close up quite a bit.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Lime juice doesn't do sh!t. You need a 1:1 solution of hydorgen peroxide + water. Then get some liquid bandaid and seal them up. Duct tape over it if it's a big enough gash and you're desperate to surf.
I'd challenge your opinion on limes not doing anything, ask any Tahitian how they have been taught for generations for wound care. I know first hand, and my US doc said that he would have not done anything different.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
1. Soak a couple of times per day in a warm 10% epsom salt solution. Hold a soaked cloth over the wound if needed.
2. Use Gromsdad's Nexcare bandages when and where possible for activities.
3. Use zinc-oxide ointment, either by itself or under a bandaid. Desitin is a smelly brand in a tube, or here's an odor-free tub:

The problem with bandages is that scabs integrate into them. You have to wash the wound and change bandages twice per day to keep that from happening. Besides its anti-microbial action zinc oxide ointment helps to keep the scab out of the bandage.

Last edited: