Mini Simmons vs/or Plasmic?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Don't know how this thread got resurrected, but I'm gonna vouch for a Mandala SuperChunk again. Rode my 5'6 quad a few times this fall and it was still magic. Ordered one 2" longer channeled twin in DA that was finished couple weeks ago, but haven't picked it up yet. Should be a great small/weak/sloppy wave boar. Might be a while til I get to try it tho, if this run of swell keeps going!

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Will agree with @oeste858 that the SuperChunk is a good choice. There are 2 in the pic below, green finned Dark Arts & clear poly/PU. I liked the poly/PU better, more drive & better paddler. The SC does everything you’d want in a Mini Simmons package but will also carve and go good when there is more than just waist- size swell. I can’t say enough good things about it. If going for strictly small waves talk to Manny about a Double Rainbow. It’s the far right orange board. Flatter rocker, wider outline and thicker foil/rails. Loved it for small waves but it’s not as versatile as the SC
D5D4B3A5-CC99-46FD-A0EB-00880BA52A19.jpeg

Last edited:

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
This, I rode my Manta when I could've been on my DD type boards a lot last year after I got it because the wave count and speed is addictive. Also the build quality is amazing.

I forgot to say in my first message, I also had a CC mini sim and I never connected with it. I could see it being cool if you surfed long walled waves but for small beach break duty I did not enjoy it most of the time. It lacked the ability to redirect quickly in small waves to milk sections.
+1 for the Manta. I've had a Plasmic and it didn't have the low end grovel compared to the Manta. Probably archer not arrow.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
+1 for the Manta. I've had a Plasmic and it didn't have the low end grovel compared to the Manta. Probably archer not arrow.
Agreed but they are almost in different categories IMO. Plasmic being a SDDD/Semi Gravel with good upper end and the Manta being a super groveler that maxes out quickly.

Reactions: lofatkilla