Migration away from California?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Know a couple of people trying to get U-Hauls to move to SoCal from Norcal and vice versa. They can't find many trucks available because people are leaving California and taking trucks one-way, U-Haul is telling them.
Yup. I personally know four families that are bailing this week. Two to Colorado, one to Idaho and one to Texas.

High income bracket families.

Reactions: Kaido

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I remember in the early and mid '90s there was a big exodus of people to Colorado. Not too many of 'em ever came back.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
it's happening. every apartment building in my area has a for rent sign with at least one unit available. last year for rent signs around here were few and far between.

Reactions: GDaddy

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
it's happening. every apartment building in my area has a for rent sign with at least one unit available. last year for rent signs around here were few and far between.
I'm seeing a few rental listings offering rent concessions. The next step after that is reducing rents.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Yeah, but that's something you can actually fix. You just need to get over your aversion to homemade prairie dresses and that gawd-awful hairdo they wear.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Super66

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 24, 2019
Yup. I personally know four families that are bailing this week. Two to Colorado, one to Idaho and one to Texas.

High income bracket families.
It's not easy. California will go after you for years making you prove you aren't a resident any longer. They came after me this year for $33K in taxes and settled for 900 bucks after I had to pay a tax attorney $3,500 to fix it for me. it's been like this for 5 years.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. We locked down the home in CA and just finished the quarantine here in Hawaii. Initially we were going to start splitting time in California and Maui but now it's looking like we may make the switch to Kailua due to the increased benefits Oahu has to offer and make it more or less the full time residence. We will probably move the CA home into a trust and move assets to Texas where we have house. With home schooling looking likely in California again this year we don't have to worry about the kids physical location.

We get to Hawaii to quarantine and I bumped into a complete stranger out walking his dog and just talk for a minute. He shows up a couple hours later with his wife and sister in law with bottled water, some groceries and food they cooked for us knowing we were't going to get anything delivered that night. Emotional moment and now my family is larger. In the moment now I can't imagine living anywhere else.