Mid Year Cut

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
No need to adjust the scale. If a ride is only worth scoring as a 2.1 compared to the other rides in a heat., score it as a 2.1
:waving:
I agree with coquaraujo on this one. If you have back to back waves in the overlapping heat format, Felipe gets the first one and busts a standard air reverse that would normally be a 5-6, Sally Fitz is on the next wave and does a comparable one that we all know is huge for the women that they would typically drop an 8+ it would be tough for the judges to adjust mid heat. I get where you may be coming from with equal pay, equal scoring but lets face it, the women do not surf equal and that would result in most heat totals being below 10points for the women. Not a good look for the WSL.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Then change the criteria. The wsl is judging women by the way men surf. And by doing so they are pushing women to try to surf like men.

if you look at it like gymnastics men and women are equally good and both get scored in the excellent range. There is no-talk of women being lesser gymnasts.

Believe it or not GD, just because you are a male, I assume, does not make you a better surfer than half the world’s population.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Interesting to think of where this whole thing would be if Slater had a bumpy start this year and was not in position to make the cut. Would wsl usher out their Michael Jordan/tiger woods or would this have remained a backroom conversation?

I couldn't imagine the stress of going into bells with two 33's and a 17th.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Interesting to think of where this whole thing would be if Slater had a bumpy start this year and was not in position to make the cut. Would wsl usher out their Michael Jordan/tiger woods or would this have remained a backroom conversation?

I couldn't imagine the stress of going into bells with two 33's and a 17th.
Shoots, I can. It means I got to surf for 4 months and someone else paid for it. Travel, lodging, free gear.

coquearaujo

Miki Dora status
Aug 18, 2004
Nigrán, Galiza, Europe
www.waira.com
No need to adjust the scale. If a ride is only worth scoring as a 2.1 compared to the other rides in a heat., score it as a 2.1
:waving:
Again, I understand you don't have much experience judging surfing: if it isn't easy judging a heat using a 0-10 scale it'd be much harder and unfair doing it with, said, a 0-6 scale.

And yes: it's just surfing but it's quite hard to judge high performance surfing of the highest level. I know it doesn't seem hard from your couch but...

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The freak out from the surfers below the cutline now is pretty comical.

I agree with some of the concerns.
-The cost of qualifying is high. Events in several continents + prize money is low, blah blah blah...
- It's really not fair to be culled after so few events. The seeding, the inequality in conditions, injury, blah blah blah.
-

And nobody has mentioned that Medina just gets to avoid the cut and waltz back on tour when it starts going left?

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/499538/gabriel-medina-awarded-2022-wsl-ct-season-wildcard-for-events-following-mid-season-cut

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The freak out from the surfers below the cutline now is pretty comical.

I agree with some of the concerns.
-The cost of qualifying is high. Events in several continents + prize money is low, blah blah blah...
- It's really not fair to be culled after so few events. The seeding, the inequality in conditions, injury, blah blah blah.
-
Seems like this is headed back to the early '80s where you risk tour lyfe only in your early 20s knowing you need to move onto another career ASAP unless you're one of the perennial top 10. I'm not sure the market is going to pay what it paid Kelly in the past though.

And nobody has mentioned that Medina just gets to avoid the cut and waltz back on tour when it starts going left?

https://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/499538/gabriel-medina-awarded-2022-wsl-ct-season-wildcard-for-events-following-mid-season-cut
We did, and it quickly degenerated:

Reactions: Boneroni

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Seems like this is headed back to the early '80s where you risk tour lyfe only in your early 20s knowing you need to move onto another career ASAP unless you're one of the perennial top 10. I'm not sure the market is going to pay what it paid Kelly in the past though.

We did, and it quickly degenerated:

In this model, you NEED the regional qualifier winners to get a short track into the big show.

What's old is new.

I don't like the mid year cut, but if it is simply a means to an end for a smaller field, fine.
It's unfair and a poor instrument, but fine.

The surfer's used to have a Union with a spokesperson to handle a lot of these discussions (WPS. I think Graham Stapleberg "G" was the chief at one point. Nobody likes him, but everyone likes him to work for them at some point). Owen Wright shoulda called Chris Smalls to get to work.

I'll give Elo credit where it's due. He's got a stomach for bloodletting. He's stood on the cutline with both feet when his predecessors waffled.

Reactions: Aruka and PRCD

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
It's still unfolding so I may change my mind after reviewing it at the end of the year but I think I like the mid-year cut as a fan. Bells and Margeret River are a lot more critical with a cut on the line. Starting the year off in Hawaii adds to the excitement as well. I'm also hoping this will lead to less days in underwhelming conditions for the rest of the season.

Still not a fan of the WSL finals though.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Then change the criteria. The wsl is judging women by the way men surf. And by doing so they are pushing women to try to surf like men.

if you look at it like gymnastics men and women are equally good and both get scored in the excellent range. There is no-talk of women being lesser gymnasts.

Believe it or not GD, just because you are a male, I assume, does not make you a better surfer than half the world’s population.
The gap between women and men in gymnastics is much closer than surfing.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Based on who got cut, I'd say overall, the system works. Bummed that Joao got bad draws, but Robbo also got bad draws in his true rookie year too, right? Also, super stocked that Matty McGillicutty made it.
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 9.41.21 AM.png

Reactions: jkb