mid-back pain from paddling

Hi all, I have seen a lot of info on lower and upper back pain online but was happy to see this forum! I am turning 49 and have been at it since I was a teenager. I have had a bit of revival trying to learn to foil surf on a 4'8". Lots of paddling and the middle of my back is sore as sh!t. It is a dull pain that has come and gone over the last few years. The pain is triggered when I do pullups, not when doing the pullup itself, but after I am done and my back relaxes. It feels like a sprain/connective tissue thing right along the spine. I have been kiteboarding for about 10 years now (windy a lot of the time here) so that may be a factor. Anyone with similar issues and found a way to resolve? I stretch and foam roll daily and am pretty flexible, but not really helping it go away.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Hi all, I have seen a lot of info on lower and upper back pain online but was happy to see this forum! I am turning 49 and have been at it since I was a teenager. I have had a bit of revival trying to learn to foil surf on a 4'8". Lots of paddling and the middle of my back is sore as sh!t. It is a dull pain that has come and gone over the last few years. The pain is triggered when I do pullups, not when doing the pullup itself, but after I am done and my back relaxes. It feels like a sprain/connective tissue thing right along the spine. I have been kiteboarding for about 10 years now (windy a lot of the time here) so that may be a factor. Anyone with similar issues and found a way to resolve? I stretch and foam roll daily and am pretty flexible, but not really helping it go away.
Voltaren Gel no longer requires a doctor’s prescription for 1% (any drug store, Costco, etc., now sells the gel over the counter). It works wonders for arthritis, enflamed joints, (spine, wrists, fingers, etc.where there is little body fat, muscle, tissue). I used to but it over the counter when visiting Europe, canada and Mexico when it still required a prescription in the U.S. It typically removes or lessens the discomfort within 3-4 minutes. My mom was prescribed to use it (94 years) up to her passing. Is an NSAID (likeAdvil) that goes directly to the rear or joint. Good luck! John

So I started doing back focused yoga and Kale Brock's lockdown workout and "banana" paddling technique (on youtube), and viola, problem solved. I needed to counteract too much desk time and weekend warrioring. I paddled out again dreading the pain I was going to feel in an hour but my back actually felt better after surfing!

Oct 28, 2020
Toronto
It all has to do with your way and technique. Every issue has its own remedy. I deal with the pain from surfing and gym with physiotherapy and good rest. You need to know when to take a break some times. Although it's hard to take a break when your wife keeps asking for different things and experimentation when it comes to our sexual life. Since I'm a gym freak I got her into Kegel exercises to tone up her vaginal muscles and pelvis function in general. It's all about where you take unique advice for Kegel exercises, and then you realize how easy it is for women with the correct tools to improve their sexual life so much.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
It all has to do with your way and technique. Every issue has its own remedy. I deal with the pain from surfing and gym with physiotherapy and good rest. You need to know when to take a break some times. Although it's hard to take a break when your wife keeps asking for different things and experimentation when it comes to our sexual life. Since I'm a gym freak I got her into Kegel exercises to tone up her vaginal muscles and pelvis function in general. It's all about where you take unique advice for Kegel exercises, and then you realize how easy it is for women with the correct tools to improve their sexual life so much.
And many other methods are good.
These are gold!

see my Jan 4 post above - proper paddling technique has been a game changer, plus doing some between session exercises by Kale Brock and Cris Mills - feeling much better these days apart from the skeletal stuff that will never heal!