Michigan school shooting.....

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
I don't understand the emphasis on red meat's proclivity to enhance cardiovascular disease when it's proclivity to cause certain cancers is a more difficult situation for potential patients.

Reactions: hal9000

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't understand the emphasis on red meat's proclivity to enhance cardiovascular disease when it's proclivity to cause certain cancers is a more difficult situation for potential patients.
Those increases are in relative risk, not absolute. A 20% relative risk that moves the needle from 30 to 36 people out of 100k is not something that keeps me up at night.

Plus that large study from a few years back only showed that increase with processed meat products (which again, I agree should be moderated) in the US, but not in Europe. Which shows that there is some other confounding factor(s) at play, not the food itself in a vacuum.

My bet is that obesity is the confounding factor, and a lot of newer research backs this up. You can get away with a lot of less healthy foods when you are not in a calorie surplus.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's multivariate.

I agree about quantity affecting outcomes. Some dr guy said hyper caloric consumption is the biggest health risk for Americans now.

This makes sense to me. Everyone is over weight. That is a tell.

It's also food quality.

Pasture raised beef > feedlot factory beef

Plants can counter a lot of the negative effects of meat too.

I only eat meat 2-3 times a week now.

Plants prepared right taste great!

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
It's multivariate.

I agree about quantity affecting outcomes. Some dr guy said hyper caloric consumption is the biggest health risk for Americans now.

It's also food quality.

Not much more complicated than this I reckon

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
It's multivariate.

It's also food quality.

I've been watching portions the last few months and now I can't eat that much

it's kind of fkn lame

no more clean the plate club, I guess

Reactions: hal9000

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Those increases are in relative risk, not absolute. A 20% relative risk that moves the needle from 30 to 36 people out of 100k is not something that keeps me up at night.

Plus that large study from a few years back only showed that increase with processed meat products (which again, I agree should be moderated) in the US, but not in Europe. Which shows that there is some other confounding factor(s) at play, not the food itself in a vacuum.

My bet is that obesity is the confounding factor, and a lot of newer research backs this up. You can get away with a lot of less healthy foods when you are not in a calorie surplus.
No, not a handful in 100k:

Lifetime risk of colorectal cancer; 1 in 23 for men, 1 in 25 for women.

On the bright side, increased total intake of fat lowers the risk of prostate cancer, but even lower for mono- and poly-unsaturated fats

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
No, not a handful in 100k:

Lifetime risk of colorectal cancer; 1 in 23 for men, 1 in 25 for women.
The rate I quoted was per year. If you want to go off of lifetime risk, OK, my lifetime risk just went from 4.3% to 5.3%. Be afraid.

That increase is only for processed red meat BTW, which was only true in the USA and not Europe. Which is likely due to the combination with excess calories and adipose tissue.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My uncle had colon cancer and sh!t in an ostomy bag for 20 years, died of a heart attack. He hated that goddam bag and often talked about how he wished he had paid better attention to diet and health when he was younger. He ate meat probably 5 nights a week until they took half his colon out.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Liability insurance for gun owners, yes/no?

Cars have umbrella insurance, guns can probably have a similar structure - should insurance be required to cover police response, damage, compensation for all gun owners? what are the pros/cons?

Buy whatever gun you like - but you need insurance.

Also, i get that insurance will inflate prices in ways that are unpredictable (second/third order consequences)

worth it or no?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Liability insurance for gun owners, yes/no?

Cars have umbrella insurance, guns can probably have a similar structure - should insurance be required to cover police response, damage, compensation for all gun owners? what are the pros/cons?

Buy whatever gun you like - but you need insurance.

Also, i get that insurance will inflate prices in ways that are unpredictable (second/third order consequences)

worth it or no?

Yes. The time has come.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Cars have umbrella insurance, guns can probably have a similar structure
Umbrella policies for autos are an option, not a requirement. I have a multi million dollar umbrella policy to supplement standard/required liability insurance re automobiles. It was a choice, not a requirement. Surprisingly the umbrella policy was dirt cheap.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Umbrella policies for autos are an option, not a requirement. I have a multi million dollar umbrella policy to supplement standard/required liability insurance re automobiles. It was a choice, not a requirement. Surprisingly the umbrella policy was dirt cheap.
It’s a gamble all the way around. They’re betting on the don’t pass line with you with the extras. Like the mafia, they’re not in business to do business in the red.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Should we extend this to all crimes?

I thought you wanted to reduce the number of blacks in prison?
Yeah, I’m guessing it will be a cold day in hell before a black parent is charged because their teen child shot someone.

That said this woman was a special kind of idiot.

Reactions: Ifallalot