Michigan school shooting.....

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And there are plenty of plant based foods that are equal or greater in terms of energy density. Such as nuts, one of the few protein sources for vegans, that have 3-4X more calories per gram and far less protein.

This study looked at nearly 22,000 people. Big shocker: more vegetables and more physical activity means more healthy. https://www.nature.com/articles/0803305
Again- associations = / = mechanisms. You already added 2 confounding factors by adding veggies and exercise, which are in no way mutually exclusive with meat consumption.

Also, like it or not, Americans eat too many calories and aren't active enough.
Which is largely the result of processed and restaurant foods that are highly palatable and calorie rich and not very satiating. How much chicken breast sirloin steak can you eat in one sitting?

Diets rich in meats and animal fats are associated with heart disease and hypertension.
"Associated"

Our microbiome has likely changed drastically compared with those of our grandparents, and this isn't anything new. This change probably started in the 1940s and 50s with all the processed foods. Furthermore, it probably began changing well before that with the advent of farming and things like cheese, bread, sausages, etc.
See bolded, thank you for making my point for me. A lot of the center grocery aisles are full of processed foods that are vegetarian or even vegan, including oreos.

Don't take my word for it. Pubmed and Google Scholar are chock-full of literally thousands of peer-reviewed papers.
Yes and I've posted some as well. You asked for them and have not replied . . . How . .. Unusual. And despite these thousands of studies, you cannot find one that looks at meat in the unprocessed form in a calorie balanced, whole food based diet.

So I'll ask again- what is inherently unhealthy about a diet that includes moderate portion sizes of animal protein (4-8 oz/meal) in the context of calorie balanced diet?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

A study from 2003? COME ON, MAAAAAAN!!

1% of dutch people were vegetarian back then. What % of them had a vitamin B12 deficiency? I'd wager that the vegans and vegetarians there now are much less at risk since people are probably a little more savvy when it comes to their diets now, there are more vegan food options (that are also fortified with vitamins and minerals), and because supplements are readily available.

"5-10% of all inhabitants of the Netherlands (up to 1 million persons) actually have a vitamin B12 intake below recommended daily levels......In medical practice, the possibility of vitamin B12 deficiency in subjects consuming meat or fish < or = once a week deserves serious consideration."
That's a lot of vitamin D deficiency. I'd like to see how that compared with the vegan/vegetarian population. So, not the slam dunk you were hoping for since, you know......vitamin B supplements are a thing.

Results: No significant association was found between diet and the continuous depression score, stress, well-being, or cognitive impairment. Vegans/vegetarians were at increased risk for depression (odds ratio = 2.142; 95%CI, 1.105-4.148) and had lower anxiety scores (mean difference = -0.847; 95%CI, -1.677 to -0.018). Heterogeneity was large, and thus subgroup analyses showed numerous differences.
A meta-analysis and observational analysis is the same thing you dismissed earlier, and there's no mechanism provided or even alluded to. Dozens of other factors could be at play.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

A study from 2003? COME ON, MAAAAAAN!!
And the China study is about the same age, which doesn't stop vegans from citing it. The studies that came up with our RDAs go back to the pre WW2 eras. If the science is rigorous, then the the publication date is irrelevant.

. 1% of dutch people were vegetarian back then. What % of them had a vitamin B12 deficiency? I'd wager that the vegans and vegetarians there now are much less at risk since people are probably a little more savvy when it comes to their diets now, there are more vegan food options (that are also fortified with vitamins and minerals), and because supplements are readily available.
Most people who decide to do these diets do not have the nutritional knowledge to do them properly because they choose to do so for moral reasons, not health reasons that they are well informed of.

That's a lot of vitamin D deficiency. I'd like to see how that compared with the vegan/vegetarian population.
I've been preaching vitamin D for years, especially during the Covid era. That is probably the most difficult nutrient for all of us to get from foods.

So, not the slam dunk you were hoping for since, you know......vitamin B supplements are a thing.
My point is that a vegan diet will require far more supplementation, even for the more nutritionally savvy. A diet that includes meat will easily provide enough B12 naturally, in addition to choline, omega 3 fats, and other nutrients that are tough to find in the plant kingdom.

there's no mechanism provided or even alluded to.
Here's your mechanism, which is far better than anything you've came up with for why we should limit meat in the context of a calorically balanced diet:
Dozens of other factors could be at play.
So now you are acknowledging confounding factors :unsure: :roflmao:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Energy density is one factor according to these authors, as is lack of fiber (https://bmcnutr.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40795-016-0063-9 and https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/92/2/398/4597346)

This study looked at nearly 22,000 people. Big shocker: more vegetables and more physical activity means more healthy. https://www.nature.com/articles/0803305

Also, like it or not, Americans eat too many calories and aren't active enough. Diets rich in meats and animal fats are associated with heart disease and hypertension.

Our microbiome has likely changed drastically compared with those of our grandparents, and this isn't anything new. This change probably started in the 1940s and 50s with all the processed foods. Furthermore, it probably began changing well before that with the advent of farming and things like cheese, bread, sausages, etc.

Don't take my word for it. Pubmed and Google Scholar are chock-full of literally thousands of peer-reviewed papers.
None of what you're saying here supports your anti-meat stance

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
How did the jackass ever get elected?
TDS !! :) )

“Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility,” she wrote. “You changed your mind, and you said ‘so what.’ You made the famous ‘grab them in the pussy’ comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should of [sic] shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes, I think those are personal and if the Gov’t can lock someone up over $10,000 of unpaid taxes and you slipped on by, then that shows the corruption.”

Crumbley went on to tell Trump that she hoped he would “really uncover the politicians for what I believe they really are,” and that he might “shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again.” She was in favor of Trump’s long-promised border wall, and noted that she was “not racist” because her grandfather “came straight off the boat in Italy.”

“As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms,” the letter continued. “Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions. Thank you for respecting that Amendment.”

She complained about parents at other schools where the “kids come from illegal immigrant parents” and “don’t care about learning.”

It was signed, “A hard working Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting fucked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the pussy.”

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
TDS !! :) )

“Mr. Trump, I actually love that you are a bad public speaker because that showed sincerity, and humility,” she wrote. “You changed your mind, and you said ‘so what.’ You made the famous ‘grab them in the pussy’ comment, did it offend me? No. I say things all the time that people take the wrong way, do I mean them, not always. Do I agree that you should of [sic] shown your tax returns? No. I don’t care what you do or maybe don’t pay in taxes, I think those are personal and if the Gov’t can lock someone up over $10,000 of unpaid taxes and you slipped on by, then that shows the corruption.”

Crumbley went on to tell Trump that she hoped he would “really uncover the politicians for what I believe they really are,” and that he might “shut down Big Pharma, make health care affordable for me and my MIDDLE CLASS family again.” She was in favor of Trump’s long-promised border wall, and noted that she was “not racist” because her grandfather “came straight off the boat in Italy.”

“As a female and a Realtor, thank you for allowing my right to bear arms,” the letter continued. “Allowing me to be protected if I show a home to someone with bad intentions. Thank you for respecting that Amendment.”

She complained about parents at other schools where the “kids come from illegal immigrant parents” and “don’t care about learning.”

It was signed, “A hard working Middle Class Law Abiding Citizen who is sick of getting fucked in the ass and would rather be grabbed by the pussy.”
That’s two votes! Besides crazy people, what is the single thing that led to DT getting elected?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
read my posts above, I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian.

But it's amazing that people want to cling to their hormone-laden meat products and then also complain that people are too fat.
The majority of the hormones in meat are those that exist in the animal in the first place. Beef may get some bioidentical hormones in marginal amounts compared to what they have normally, however the total is still a fraction of what exists in legumes per unit of weight. It’s also easy to buy non hormone added meat if you live near a good butcher.

I’m not a fan of the rsbt hormones for dairy, but that’s also easy to shop around, and I don’t consume much dairy at all so it’s not a concern.

Chicken does not have added hormones. Those things have been bred to grow large all on their own. Hormone free chicken is a marketing scam.

Back away from the propaganda already.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
read my posts above, I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian.

But it's amazing that people want to cling to their hormone-laden meat products and then also complain that people are too fat.
And you’re sticking to that falsehood